Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levy - smaller balls than a squirrel

Options
  • 02-09-2008 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Yep he's bottled it. After all the twoing and throwing our club chairman has buckled and agreed to drop the allegation against manyoo.

Transfer agreed at £30.75m (we had £34m on table from city)
    Frazer Campbell on a season loan (a loan deal only)
    Agreed to drop tapping up charge against the bullyboy manc scum (cowardly)

I know some will say "well business is business" but after all that has gone on surely it leaves a very bad taste to know what type of weak person we have running the club.

I did not doubt (realistically) for one moment that Berbatov would not eventually go to manyoo. But I hoped that Levy who 'talked the talk would have the balls to walk the walk' and pursue the tapping up charge against them.

The sulk berbatov has got what he wanted, manyoo have got what they wanted (albeit at a higher price).

Sure we have £30.75m and a loan player for our troubles but what dignity have we come out of this with? What message does this send to any other club we may do business with in the future?

I've edited the last part of this post as on reflection I should'nt have wished injury upon a player that's just being childish and was a moment of anger on my part. However I do not wish him any luck with his future career

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I hope the cnut breaks his leg in his first game for them.

Wow.. So I wasn't the only person dreaming this..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I've said before, I wish no injury on any player but I despise the bully boy tactics of big clubs and wish Levy had held out and said "f*ck you" to Man U and let Berbatov arse about playing against Leyton Orient in the reserves till January. However, his chief duty is to the Spurs shareholders unfortunately. I would however question the agreement not to report Man U for their aggressive tapping up of Man U. I would love the FA or whoever the relevant body is to come in and dock them a ****load of points.

If contracted players are allowed to behave like this then soccer is dead and we might as well all forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Roll on saturday Dec 13th v Utd at the lane , i bet sulkytov the coward wont even turn up!. Thats the kind of bloke he is. There will be a queue a mile long that day at the lane to greet him...not!

Just wondering lads thinking of having a whip around as well for Robbie keane , coz he cant buy himself a goal at present and i was hopin we might buy one for him!...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Yes Berba will get a Campbell-esque reception no doubt.

The bank balance must be healthy at the lane this morning.

Keane 20m
    Berba 31m
    and 20 odd for Chimbonda Tainio Malbranque and Kaboul,
    expect some signings in Jan I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I've already heard the same view this morning on Sky News and BBC R5 that Spurs have come out of this window without any "dignity" whatsoever.

The general expression was that 'Well Spurs dropped the charges against Pool because they stumped up £20m for Robbie Keane and now they've done the same again with Man Utd because of £30.75m for Berbatov'.

Are we just a prostitute that will....'drop em' providing the money is right. Seems the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i have to say i disagree with the general tone of the thread. Levy said no over and over to liverpool and got some extra euro's for a player they were resigned to losing. We were always going to lose berb and Levy's work has gotten 30m+ instead of 20m+ for a want-away striker. I think its excellent business. after all our signings to still post a profit and get rid of a negative influence on the club, i think the club is in great hands with a manager who has a proven track record. we've just won a cup, we're in europe. i'm excited!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eiduap

i would have to agree with ditpoker. There was nothing Levy could have done they did not what to stay and he got a much money he could for them. I just feel disappointed we dropped the charges of tapping up Judes Mark II. We had utd where we wanted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

ditpoker wrote: »
    i have to say i disagree with the general tone of the thread. Levy said no over and over to liverpool and got some extra euro's for a player they were resigned to losing. We were always going to lose berb and Levy's work has gotten 30m+ instead of 20m+ for a want-away striker. I think its excellent business. after all our signings to still post a profit and get rid of a negative influence on the club, i think the club is in great hands with a manager who has a proven track record. we've just won a cup, we're in europe. i'm excited!!

I agree with this for the most part. I'm glad Berbatov is gone, really bloody glad - he was such a negative influence on the team. We got a lot of cash for him, and sold him to a team that won't be competing on the same level and for the same prizes as us, as City will be (until their sugar Daddy's start their crazy spending).

The loan signing thing doesn't sound like good business, especially if we don't have the option to buy. If he turns out to be good, Utd place a large price tag on his head. If he's crap, it's a waste of our time and we're still stuck with just two strikers.

I think Levy has done well and although I'm disappointed with us not getting a more proven goalscorer and a holding midfielder, I'm still relatively happy. I can't say that I'm excited though, particularly after our start. I'll hold off being optimistic and excited until I see more performances like the Chelsea game.

As I said in the op "some will say well business is business" and yes from a shareholders perspective a £50m combined total for just two players is excellent (and especially two players who have made it known they wanted out).

The sentiment I am expressing is that on both occasions we (as in Spurs) have been seen to back down in regard to valid complaints against the two offending clubs.

There is partial redemption for us in the Liverpool case in that they publicly made a donation to the THFC Charity whereas in Utd's case they have got away scott free. The media are once again aplauding Fergies canny skills whilst at the same time questioning Spurs dignity when it comes to money matters.

Surely now, any Spurs player who has a good season then becomes fair game for any of the 'big four' to tap up.

This saga (imo) shows unqestionable proof that we have become merely a feeder club more than ever before and that does not sit well with me.

As one of our fellow posters said in a different thread "Anyone else feeling this way ????".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Levy got the money he wanted and sold , he can thank Man city for that. The charges are obviously bull**** otherwise why would he drop them and agree a deal. If he has passed on a dossier with a years worth of evidence to the FA as stated surely the FA can still act on that if there is wrong doing.

Levy was obviously using the media to get as much money as possible for a player he was always going to sell before the deadline closed for that he deserves credit but his words and actions have also caused a lot of unneccessary anomisity between the two clubs supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote: »
    Levy got the money he wanted and sold , he can thank Man city for that. The charges are obviously bull**** otherwise why would he drop them and agree a deal. If he has passed on a dossier with a years worth of evidence to the FA as stated surely the FA can still act on that if there is wrong doing.

PL not FA.

If Spurs withdraw an allegation then the PL will not continue to pursue the case on it's own.

Spurs withdrew the allegation as a condition of the increased offer from United. That was the major stumbling block the last few days, Man City managed to bump the price up a few £ but the real problem was the tapping-up allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

The charges are obviously bull**** otherwise why would he drop them and agree a deal.

How do you come to that conclusion? The charges were dropped because it was a condition of the deal, not because the charges were false. Spurs didnt have much choice but to sell to united in the end, what were they going to do, let him rot and lose millions just to save face? Its not as if he had any interest or motivation to play for the club had the deal not gone ahead, he's been like a dark depressing cloud over the head of most yids recently
    If Spurs withdraw an allegation then the PL will not continue to pursue the case on it's own.

Personally i think the system might be a bit flawed here, once allegations of these types are made at all they should be pursued to conclusion, otherwise we get situations like what occurred today where clubs are able to buy themselves out of investigation...thats just my own opinion though take it or leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

What you did to Sevilla;

karma.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

as eze says, we're hardly saints ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

eZe^ wrote: »
    What you did to Sevilla;

karma.png
    What Real Madrid will do to manure end of this season regarding Ronaldo.

spurs.gif

as eze says, we're hardly saints ourselves

yeah but we got a load of flak for it too so why shouldnt we be allowed give some back when the shoe is on the other foot?

indough wrote: »
    How do you come to that conclusion? The charges were dropped because it was a condition of the deal, not because the charges were false.

Nobody forced you to accept the Deal . Spurs could have done what United did in the summer with Ronaldo. All that was required was a bit of backbone if you really wanted to keep Berbatov.

Spurs didnt have much choice but to sell to united in the end, what were they going to do, let him rot and lose millions just to save face?

They had the same choice United had in the summer . did United lose £70 millions to save face or did they show that they were not prepared to be forced to sell against their wishes.

Personally i think the system might be a bit flawed here, once allegations of these types are made at all they should be pursued to conclusion, otherwise we get situations like what occurred today where clubs are able to buy themselves out of investigation...thats just my own opinion though take it or leave it

Nobody baught themselves out of anything. It was all part of the game . Pretending the player was not for sale to push the price up and up and it worked yet again but this time Citys bid forced United to pay more that they wanted to for him. We all knew that Levy would be the first to Blink.

If the PL have been handed the evidence that United have broken their rules they do not need Tottenhams permission to act on United, it's not going to happen though as United have only done the same as all the other clubs do (including tottenham) when trying to buy players, As I said The reporting issue always was bull****.

BTW Ronaldo will be going nowhere next summer unless United want to sell him. Man city showed Real that they are no longer the force they once were. The money is in the Premiership, thats where the best players will be.

If the PL have been handed the evidence that United have broken their rules they do not need Tottenhams permission to act on United, it's not going to happen though as United have only done the same as all the other clubs do (including tottenham) when trying to buy players, As I said The reporting issue always was bull****.

They were handed a dossier by Spurs, for the case to continue requires Spurs to maintain their complaint.

Why else do you think the PL did nothing to Chelsea when they blatantly tapped up Frank Arnensen? The PL does not act independantly of the clubs involved, the PL is the clubs ffs. The PL does not want to act of it's own accord on any transfer like this because that would mean taking responsibility for all transfer activity and being forced to scrutinise every transfer deal, which none of the clubs want to have happen for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Have to say I don't think this carry on of making a complaint and then getting paid off to drop it should be allowed. You either have an issue or you don't. The complaints should be handled by the FA or UEFA, not by people with a vested interest in the result.

If Man Utd approached Berbatov without permission yesterday then someone should be investigating without the need for a complaint in the first place.

ro2 wrote: »
    Have to say I don't think this carry on of making a complaint and then getting paid off to drop it should be allowed. You either have an issue or you don't. The complaints should be handled by the FA or UEFA, not by people with a vested interest in the result.

If Man Utd approached Berbatov without permission yesterday then someone should be investigating without the need for a complaint in the first place.

Spot On. The reason the Pl won't/can't act is because they would have to take the same action against every football club as they all employ the same tactics when buying players. If they wanted to act they could they have the evidence alledgedly.

Look how blatent Real were when trying to get Ronaldo, they even gave a date that he would be signing and yet Fifa said Real did nothing wrong when united reported them.

• Advertisement

ro2 wrote: »

There is nothing concrete to suggest that United acted out of turn yesterday, no statement from Spurs during the day to state that they did not have permission to talk to him. The rest was just 24hr news cycle rubbish talk.

Spot On. The reason the Pl won't/can't act is because they would have to take the same action against every football club as they all employ the same tactics when buying players.

Some clubs seem to resort to this sort of behaviour far more rapidly than others. Something to do with being "the greatest club in the world" I think.

Some clubs seem to resort to this sort of behaviour far more rapidly than others. Something to do with being "the greatest club in the world" I think.

AHHHH Ronan Build a bridge and get over it. ;)

If you would like I could give a few examples of spurs not quite so coshure deals , but that would be off topic and get me in trouble, Right?

AHHHH Ronan Build a bridge and get over it. ;)

If you would like I could give a few examples of spurs not quite so coshure deals , but that would be off topic and get me in trouble, Right?

You wouldn't need to, they have been adequately mentioned and discussed on the soccer forum and on this forum. You'd probably mention Ramos from Sevilla, Bostock and Routledge from Palace, Lennon and Rose from Leeds, and the failed bid for Downing from Boro.

Of them all only Ramos and Downing involved any wrongdoing.

Your shower put us in the ha'penny place.

You wouldn't need to, they have been adequately mentioned and discussed on the soccer forum and on this forum. You'd probably mention Ramos from Sevilla, Bostock and Routledge from Palace, Lennon and Rose from Leeds, and the failed bid for Downing from Boro.

Of them all only Ramos and Downing involved any wrongdoing.

Your shower put us in the ha'penny place.

Nah we respect our feeder clubs, especially the ones that bring on our young players for us..:)

Thats a joke BTW .

Just to clarify here that my op was mainly a gripe in the way Levy has handled things.

Yes, I do feel there are other issues (e.g. tapping up etc) but my main concern here is that we have (imo) a very weak chairman who basically can not handle pressure or play hard ball. Levy doesnt have the air of a straight talking no bull**** type but more like the sneaky school kid who goes running to his mummy when someone says come on then let's have a fight. Basically he's a coward.

The way he handled the whole affair with BMJ last year was just a taste of things to come.

When you've got people right at the very top of an organisation giving out those vibes then...
    what effect will that have on the manager & players?
    what signals does it send out to our competitors?
    what message does it give to the fans?

I don't want an Abramovich, I don't want a Glazer scenario but just someone who will stand up for the club when it comes down to a fight. Someone with a bit of passion and fire in their belly but with a business brain.

I'd take Sugar back any day.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I'd take Sugar back any day.

:eek:

Christ can't be that bad, can it?

Turned down Bergkamp and Wenger...:rolleyes:

Didn't want anymore Carlos Kickaballs...

:eek:

Christ can't be that bad, can it?

Turned down Bergkamp and Wenger...:rolleyes:

Didn't want anymore Carlos Kickaballs...

Seriously I would, the man was a bit naieve when he first came in but he was tough and took no sh1t. Even from that Lovable Cheeky Chappy Rogue 'El Tel Vegeballs'. Sugar was never given a real chance by most fans.

Anyway going off topic again now.

Nobody forced you to accept the Deal . Spurs could have done what United did in the summer with Ronaldo. All that was required was a bit of backbone if you really wanted to keep Berbatov.

They had the same choice United had in the summer . did United lose £70 millions to save face or did they show that they were not prepared to be forced to sell against their wishes.

Did Ronaldo refuse to play for United? Anyway United are far more financially secure than Spurs
    Nobody baught themselves out of anything. It was all part of the game . Pretending the player was not for sale to push the price up and up and it worked yet again but this time Citys bid forced United to pay more that they wanted to for him. We all knew that Levy would be the first to Blink.

Come on now surely you don't really believe this and are just going on the defensive?

This isn't the case at all, as has been said before if Spurs decide not to take it any further then there will be no further action taken...this is where the system is lacking imo

• Advertisement

Did Ronaldo refuse to play for United? Anyway United are far more financially secure than Spurs

Serious question. Did Berbatov refuse to play for spurs? I read that he wasn't picked because the manager thought he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play.

United more Financially secure? Have you seen the level of United debt.

Come on now surely you don't really believe this and are just going on the defensive?

I do genuninely believe it. There may be an elelment of me defending united but I do believe the reporting issue was all part of Levys game plan to get as much money as possible. He was always going to sell, even some of the spurs fans posting hold similar opinion.
    This isn't the case at all, as has been said before if Spurs decide not to take it any further then there will be no further action taken...this is where the system is lacking imo

If thats the case that's wrong and I agree the system is lacking and should be looked at.

Advertisement