Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levy - smaller balls than a squirrel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Returning to the original post:
    RichMc70 wrote: »
    Yep he's bottled it. After all the twoing and throwing our club chairman has buckled and agreed to drop the allegation against manyoo.

Transfer agreed at £30.75m (we had £34m on table from city)
    Frazer Campbell on a season loan (a loan deal only)
    Agreed to drop tapping up charge against the bullyboy manc scum (cowardly)

I know some will say "well business is business" but after all that has gone on surely it leaves a very bad taste to know what type of weak person we have running the club.

I'm critical of Levy for his handling of this transfer windwo but not for the reasons you are.

Berbatov was always likely to be sold, the two stumbling blocks were our asking price and the tapping-up complaint. Both were issues with the sale of Keane to Liverpool, and both were dealt with satisfactorily in the eyes of the board. In the Berbatov deal, United were believed to be unmovable on their valuation of £25m, while we were holding out for £32m (though I was told at start of window the asking price to an English club would be £35m)

It doesn't matter what Man City had bid, if Berbatov was not prepared to go there then their bid was immaterial. In the end we got much closer to the valuation believed to be held by Spurs, but to do so involved dropping the tapping-up complaint which was always going to happen once we'd agreed a deal. The fact that we didn't call of negotiations which United once we made our complaint meant that we were open to a deal and willing to drop the complaint, plus our willingness to do business with Liverpool suggested the same.

My problem with how this has been conducted is with the transfers in...

We've known since last summer that Berbatov wanted out, we sold Defoe in January and we knew from late May that Keane was wanted by Liverpool, yet we have spent the entire summer haggling with Zenit over a few extra £m for Arshavin, and been linked with a host of forwards such as Eto'o, Milito, Klose, Podolski, Pavlyuchenko, Santa Cruz, Luis Garcia, the south Americans etc etc.

I can't understand why we simply paid the asking price for Modric, yet we've hummed and hawed over signing forward players for what reason? Waiting for the Berbatov deal to be concluded was brainless, we should have identified our targets from day one and pursued them with vigour. We've flipped and flopped all summer long, looking more and more desperate as time wore on, hence the rumours of last minute moves for Heskey and Doyle, and eventually ending up with the prize of Campbell...:(

No disrespect to the lad, but I doubt he was on any list of potential signings at the start of the summer.

Who's to blame? I think Ramos and Comolli were hamstrung by the board's policy towards resale value on potential signings, so we arsed around on the Arshavin deal because of his age, not because of doubts over his ability. I'm going to defend the DOF a bit here, I doubt he didn't have a list of potential replacements to give Ramos, but if the message from on high was to be "buy young, or buy cheap, but don't buy until we've sold the sulky one" then how could he go about his job with any success? Imaging your reaction as an official at another club, Spurs bid for one of your players but ask you to hang on a while so they can do a bit of business elsewhere? Unless it suited your club, then you'd tell them to fcuk off, right?

I don't blame anyone for selling the two players, but I'm very critical of the failure to recruit replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Not going for Milito and him going to Genoa is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Going back to the original post of this thread...does this article not lend itself to my point...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23550528-details/Berbatov+%27flattered%27+by+Ferguson/article.do
    Dimitar Berbatov today admitted being shocked at the extent of Sir Alex Ferguson's personal involvement in his £30.75million transfer to Manchester United.
    Berbatov has confirmed the Scot met him at Manchester airport on Monday afternoon - the final day of the transfer window - to take him to the training ground.
    Spurs hadn't given United permission to talk to Berbatov at that point and had agreed a £34m fee with Manchester City instead. But, despite threats of reporting United to the Premier League over their conduct, Spurs eventually caved in and agreed a deal with Ferguson's club.
    The Bulgarian said: "I am flattered that he (Sir Alex) gave me so much of his time. He personally came to pick me up at the airport. It was a shock to me, but it was a pleasure to get to know him.
    "The relations between Manchester United and Tottenham are quite tense, but the important thing is that all ended well."
    When asked why he wasn't tempted by a move to Manchester City, he added: "Money is not all important. I was determined to play for Manchester United. I can live on £1,000 as well as £50,000. It makes little difference for me."

Either the London Evening standard are lying or we should expect a 'libel case' in the pipeline. I fancy we won't see any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

The Muppet wrote: »
    Serious question. Did Berbatov refuse to play for spurs? I read that he wasn't picked because the manager thought he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play.

There was talk of him being on strike but i don't think the club were ever going to come out and say he refused to play

i just hope for the sake of genuine united fans (not just glory hunters) that he actually tries to play football at the club rather than stand around and throw his hands in the air any time he doesn't get perfect service of the ball
    United more Financially secure? Have you seen the level of United debt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7377058.stm
    I do genuninely believe it. There may be an elelment of me defending united but I do believe the reporting issue was all part of Levys game plan to get as much money as possible.

I don't know I think people at the club are genuinely pissed off about what has occurred also I hear that Alan Sugar wrote a pretty flaming article in the Sun today which I doubt he would have done if he suspected it was all part of the game plan

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1640354.ece

i know its the sun but if nothing else it makes for a funny enough read :)
    He was always going to sell, even some of the spurs fans posting hold similar opinion.

That doesn't really mean anything, when he learned sulky wanted to move he knew he would more than likely have to sell but that doesn't mean United didn't do wrong
    If thats the case that's wrong and I agree the system is lacking and should be looked at.

I'm pretty sure it is that way alright, which is a shame for everybody really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

We'll probably never know exactly what happened between the Player and Club. I hope he gets his head down and plays football as well, I dont have much time for the prima donnas, one of them at the club is more than enough.

I'll read that article later when I get the time.

• Advertisement

David Gill on Berbatov transfer.
    Gill also insisted the club stayed “entirely within the rules” during their pursuit of Berbatov.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has called for a change in transfer rules, and initially complained to the Premier League about United’s approach for the player.

Gill however has rejected allegations that United did anything wrong.

He added: “We are very comfortable with how the whole thing went. There were allegations made, we are comfortable that how we approached it was entirely correct and within the rules.

“It came together on Monday and the agent was given permission for the player to come up to Manchester, we arranged the plane for him and Alex met him at the airport.

“It’s true to say when the medical commenced we had not finished all the final negotiations with Spurs but both parties were confident they would be completed to everyone’s satisfaction.

“We are very comfortable we had permission to do what we did and it was clear to Tottenham and Daniel Levy in particular that he knew what we were doing and if that wasn’t the case we wouldn’t have done it.”

http://www.thepost.ie/breakingnews/sport/mhqlgbgbaumh/

So Berbatov did have permission to go to Manchester on Monday and Tottenham and United were negotiating the sale. Not exactly the picture presented by some ITK's and journos last week.

Gill however has rejected allegations that United did anything wrong.

He added: “We are very comfortable with how the whole thing went. There were allegations made, we are comfortable that how we approached it was entirely correct and within the rules.

“It came together on Monday and the agent was given permission for the player to come up to Manchester, we arranged the plane for him and Alex met him at the airport.

“It’s true to say when the medical commenced we had not finished all the final negotiations with Spurs but both parties were confident they would be completed to everyone’s satisfaction.

The agent was given permission for Berbatov to come up to Manchester. Yes, of course he had we had accepted a bid from City for £35m. The key word missing from this statement is UNITED.

So, when the medical commenced they knew they were in breach of rules as final negotiations had not been agreed (e.g. Spurs had not accepted a bid from Utd and had not given them permission to talk to Berbatov).

Just more proof that Levy is a coward that has smaller balls than a squirrel. After reading the comments by Gill, does it not confirm to us how weak and cowardly Levy is. Yeah sure what a great businessman but a ****€r of a man. (imo):mad:

The agent was given permission for Berbatov to come up to Manchester.
    Yes, of course he had we had accepted a bid from City for £35m. The
    key word missing from this statement is UNITED.

The timeline of events indicate differently. Bebrabtov was already in Manchester with Fergie when City's bid was accepted, thats why they couldn't contact him to discuss terms. United organised the flight , I doubt they would have done that for him to talk to city, berbatove had no interest in signing for City. Theres no way his trip top manchester was to talk to city

So, when the medical commenced they knew they were in breach of rules as final negotiations had not been agreed (e.g. Spurs had not accepted a bid from Utd and had not given them permission to talk to Berbatov).

It,s obvious from Gills statement that agreement had been reached verbally it was just a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Just more proof that Levy is a coward that has smaller balls than a
    squirrel. After reading the comments by Gill, does it not confirm to
    us how weak and cowardly Levy is. Yeah sure what a great businessman
    but a ****€r of a man. (imo)

I think it's obvious from Gills statememnt That tottenham were in nogotiations with United when It was being reported by the media that no such negotiations were sanctioned or taking place. If Levy was rsponsible for that your description of him would be spot on IMO.

We'll agree to disagree. Me, other spurs fans and the media may have got it all wrong and obviously everything David Gill or manyoo says is true and anyone who disagrees is a heretic who'll burn in hell.

Muppet, your conviction in defending manyoo is admirable however this Board Forum is about Spurs and furthermore this particular Thread is about Daniel Levy.

My original post was expressing a personal opinion that Levy has shown a weak and cowardly character when handling a particular deal.

If you have a constructive opinion on Spurs matters then I would welcome your input otherwise you are just either trying irritate me or bore me into submission.

We'll agree to disagree. Me, other spurs fans and the media may have got it all wrong and obviously everything David Gill or manyoo says is true and anyone who disagrees is a heretic who'll burn in hell.

Obviosuly not, but the same applies to Tottenham and Levy. I wsa just contering some points made in this and other threads. One sided debate is pointless.

Muppet, your conviction in defending manyoo is admirable however this Board Forum is about Spurs and furthermore this particular Thread is about Daniel Levy.

There are lots of references to Man United on this thread and forum. My initial posts were on topic . I didn't take it off topic.
    My original post was expressing a personal opinion that Levy has shown a weak and cowardly character when handling a particular deal.

If you have a constructive opinion on Spurs matters then I would welcome your input otherwise you are just either trying irritate me or bore me into submission.

I'm doing neither. You know what they say about opinions constructive or otherwise. I'm just giving mine the fact that it may irritate is irrelelvent, it's sill only my opinion,.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

ditpoker wrote: »
    i have to say i disagree with the general tone of the thread. Levy said no over and over to liverpool and got some extra euro's for a player they were resigned to losing. We were always going to lose berb and Levy's work has gotten 30m+ instead of 20m+ for a want-away striker. I think its excellent business. after all our signings to still post a profit and get rid of a negative influence on the club, i think the club is in great hands with a manager who has a proven track record. we've just won a cup, we're in europe. i'm excited!!

So why didn't he sell him to City for 34m then? Bottled it agaist Man and Gill thats why!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

John W wrote: »
    So why didn't he sell him to City for 34m then? Bottled it agaist Man and Gill thats why!

Because Berbatov didn't want to go to Citeh, and despite the nonsense talk of slavery earlier in the year from people who should know better, players still get a say in where they go.

Advertisement