Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Summons

Options
  • 02-09-2008 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

I recieved a summons recently for an offence committed about five months ago. Two particular guards took a dislike to me and stopped me about three times a week coming home from work (nightclub) these two are well known in the Tramore area but thats another story. Anyway the number plates on my car they decided were illegal and hence the summons, but my name is spelt wrong and my address just plain is wrong, the postman just knew who i was!

Anyway what I was wondering is will this matter? also does anyone know the numberplate rulings, all spacings are correct with Blue stripe one left etc only the font is differnt and so far as i know we do not have a legal font as such, the UK enforces the Charles Wright font but i found nothing to say Ireland does so long as spacings etc are within the legal limits is there really a problem???????

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What offence are they charging you with (written on the summons)?

sounds like you may be clutching at straws but details would be nice.

AFAIK, clerical errors can be corrected in court depending on how inaccurate they were to begin with. The fact that you actually received it does not work in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Basically my car 02 - wd etc was parked on main street tramore displaying a non comforming front number plate is what it says . . . . . no mention of the back for some reason :P It is very petty indeed i was stopped just a few nights ago with the officer inquiring as to why my passenger was wearing a white hoodie . . . that kind of question demands cheek and my patience is wearing thin . . . . . .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

rex-x wrote: »
    Basically my car 02 - wd etc was parked on main street tramore displaying a non comforming front number plate is what it says . . . . . no mention of the back for some reason :P It is very petty indeed i was stopped just a few nights ago with the officer inquiring as to why my passenger was wearing a white hoodie . . . that kind of question demands cheek and my patience is wearing thin . . . . . .
    Fair enough but what exactly is written on the summons? what law are they saying you have broken? assuming you're not making this up.
    Or are you just mad cause a Guard picked on you ?

Wel i am a bit mad, I get stopped alot for stupid things ( i have no points full licence etc ) and yet still they persist . . . . . that is what was on the summons "The car registered 02- WD _***** was parked on main street tramore with number plates uncomforming to code Bng 34564 road traffic act" thats not the exact code i dont have it to hand but you get the idea also has cops name and time and that but it seems just trivial . . . . the guard could obviously read the plates . . . . better than my licence anyway judging by the spelling of my name

EDIT: the white hoodie comment is 100% true, if it sounds odd imagine being in the car . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

there is a standard legal font for number plates in ireland, so by having a different font you have committed an offence, which you have been summonsed for.

It may be petulance on the part of the guard, as there are plenty of non conforming number plates on our roads, but no that is neither here nor there as you have been summonsed.

I have no experience of the protocal where there is a clerical error pertaining to the accused on the day in court, but have heard of examples where these errors can be ammended in court and the original offence being dealt with.

If I were you, get a set of legal plates and have them in court to show the judge, say sorry sir and you will probably get a small fine and told not to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

If there are some details incorrect on your summons they will dismiss it the day of the court and re-issue a new one on the day. There's no getting away with this anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

.....all spacings are correct with Blue stripe one left etc only the font is differnt and so far as i know we do not have a legal font as such,.
    What is the blue stripe you are referring to? All characters and strokes must be black.
    whippet wrote: »
    there is a standard legal font for number plates in ireland....
    There is no font specified. Stroke height 70mm, width 10mm, spacing, position are specified.

OP: Do you have a script-type font, or some kind of non-standard font?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

whippet wrote: »
    there is a standard legal font for number plates in ireland, so by having a different font you have committed an offence, which you have been summonsed for.

there actually isn't a standard legal font required on number plates in Ireland. The law (S.I. No. 318/1992 — Vehicle Registration and Taxation Regulations, 1992.: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/si/0318.html) stipulates the width of the characters, stroke width, spacing, height and colour - but it does not specify an actual font.

If the OP's reg plate conforms to the specifications in the Regulations above, then no offence has been committed.

edit: esel beat me to it! I assume by "blue stripe" the OP means the blue area on the laft where the EU flag and IRL is displayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Is this the car?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56883677&postcount=258

TBH it's a non standard font, but not mad or anything, a guard would have to be looking for a reason to do you for that.

Unless of course it should read 02-WD-**** as per your previous post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Do you have one of those cursive writing 'knacker' number plates? I'd be all for you being fined for having those pieces of ****.

I also thought you would just be sent a fine in the post and for not paying it would receive a summons. *IF* I was in your shoes, I would (assuming the summons is because you never paid the fine) go to court, explain to the judge that you never got the original fine, and point out it may be because the incompetent guard didn't get my address right. I would also leave out incompetent :)

If there is no initial fine and just a summons I would not go. Unless it was delivered to my door by a gard in person. Name and address wrong, game over. Next!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've seen worse, but am wondering why the cops took a dislike to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Is this the car?

If that is the car, then that plate would be against the current regulations. The stroke width (the width of any of the parts of the letters) needs to be 10mm. The letters in the plate in the pics have some thick and some thin strokes - so since they can't both be 10mm, it would be illegal (assuming this is indeed the OP's car and current plates).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

^^^

Also the letters don't seem to be 70mm high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

If your plates are legal and you know of no good reason for them harassing you, write to the local chief superintendant, requesting a meeting to clear up any issue this guard may have with you.

I've had personal experience of a guard taking a dislike to my family and going after us every chance he had. Eventually we had a meeting with his chief super and got it sorted. He hides now anytime I see him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Brings back the whole thing when you see a check point and you can always guess the cars the cops have pulled in to harrass! Usually white with low spoilers etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Op, they should lock people like you up :P

This is an excellent use of court time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Two particular guards took a dislike to me and stopped me about three times a week coming home from work (nightclub) these two are well known in the Tramore area
    that kind of question demands cheek and my patience is wearing thin . . . . . .
    Wel i am a bit mad, I get stopped alot for stupid things ( i have no points full licence etc ) and yet still they persist . . . . . the guard could obviously read the plates . . . . better than my licence anyway judging by the spelling of my name

I think the answer to your question is in your posts above. All guards anywhere in the country are well known in their area, that's their job to be known and to get to know people. And your statement of a stupid question demands a cheeky answer is just plain childish.

There is two possibilities to the wrong name and address (or spelt incorrectly) , either that the guard took it down wrong or your car is registrated with your name and address incorrectly.

To me you seem very vague in your posts such as that you are stopped for stupid things. Stupid things like what? In my district we have alot of young fellas who are into their modified cars and over a period of time they have come to realise that we do stopped them and check their details to ensure they are correct such as tax, insurance etc. Now they are all fully compliant and we just pretty much leave them to their own devices. They know we will not tolerate any messing on the roads or carparks.

One last thing, the font on the plates do seem a bit thicker than the norm and as we know that ANPR is on the way (have heard its already here) and that we do know that the UK police forces ANPR has a problem reading non conforming fonts, this could be the reason why you received a summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

numbering and letters are not the correct height, width and space apart.

You get stopped a lot therefore were aware of this, evidently the Garda got tired of telling you too get them changed and has decided to let the judge do it from now on.

The exhaust looks a bit on the modified and very loud side. Bet your neighbours love hearing that when your coming home from work at 2 or 3 in the morning.

BTW, a car with incorrect reg plates and a loud speaker for an exhaust SHOULD be stopped a lot, its against the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BTW, a car with incorrect reg plates and a loud speaker for an exhaust SHOULD be stopped a lot, its against the law.

While I agree with the number plate, it's written in law the specs for them. What exact law is a stupid exhaust breaking? I thought we had no laws for noise and AFAIK bad taste isn't a punishable offence yet:D Or is it public nuisance?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

My brother has the same number plates on his car.. was stopped twice in one day, he recieved two summons yesterday morning when a garda van arrived at the door and handed them to him.They game him a summons for the front reg plate and one for the back, even though the ban garda said if he produces the proper plates that day at the station he would be ok, and he did.went straight down as he had the plates in the boot but forgot they were there while speaking to the garda,now he has to take a day off work in Feb 09 to attend court...

• Advertisement

Thats my new car which after being stopped at least a dozen times the guards mentioned nothing about those plates . . . . my old car had the correct spacings and i believe the numbers can be no more than 70mm high but do not have to be exactly that, which would make my old ones legal, as for my new car they just dont seem to care, it was how i bought the car

Also there was no fine issued first just the summons . . . . .

I am not anti establishment by any means Two of my uncles are guards, one trains the drivers in Dublin and they think this is ridiculous . . . .

EDIT: that loudspeaker of an exhaust is what the Hdi comes with i didnt buy that . . . . its very quiet, a big engine needs a big exhaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

You get stopped a lot therefore were aware of this, evidently the Garda got tired of telling you too get them changed and has decided to let the judge do it from now on.

Your jumping to a fairly serious conclusion there, based on very little information and a picture.

Del2005 wrote: »
    What exact law is a stupid exhaust breaking? I thought we had no laws for noise and AFAIK bad taste isn't a punishable offence yet:D Or is it public nuisance?

My neighbour has a mate who has a very loud boyo exhaust and to be honest, wakes us all up when he is idling outside, its ridiculous to the fact that we have to ask that he does not bring the car into the estate after 9, of course he sees nothing wrong with it.

On the poster who stops boyos to check tax etc, do you not think its biased to keep stopping people based on their car choice. It made me mad one night (and I have a boring standard 06 car) and stopped to get breathalised yet let through an ould fella in a beaten up 4x4 at midnight, I know who i would have the money on for drink driving. And we wonder why guards get a bad name..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Thats my new car which after being stopped at least a dozen times the guards mentioned nothing about those plates . . . . my old car had the correct spacings and i believe the numbers can be no more than 70mm high but do not have to be exactly that, which would make my old ones legal, as for my new car they just dont seem to care, it was how i bought the car
    14. The identification mark shall appear in black characters and each letter or figure shall have a height of 70 millimetres and a stroke width of 10 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter or figure (other than the letter “I” or the number “I”) shall be not less than 36 millimetres and not more than 50 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters and adjoining figures shall be uniform and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.

According to the above it has to be exactly 70mm in height.. no more, no less.

Full Details can be found here

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

lynchie wrote: »
    According to the above it has to be exactly 70mm in height.. no more, no less.

Full Details can be found here
    Ahem... See Section 21 (quote below).
    21. An identification mark or plate shall not be held to be in contravention of this Schedule by reason only of failure to comply with the dimensions prescribed in this Schedule provided that:-

(a) in the case of a prescribed dimension which is 70 millimetres or less, the difference between the dimensions of the identification mark or plate and the prescribed dimensions is not greater than 1 millimetre, and

(b) in the case of a prescribed dimension which is greater than 70 millimetres, the difference between the dimension of the identification mark or plate and the prescribed dimension is not greater than 3 millimetres.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

esel wrote: »
    Ahem... See Section 21 (quote below).

Fair pla to anyone who can spot 1mm difference by looking. I'd imagine thats there for things like print over run slight discrepancies. The standard font is 70mm high. It give the +/- to allow for slight errors.

The ons in the pic look visibly smaller though, not just 1mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

TheDriver wrote: »
    On the poster who stops boyos to check tax etc, do you not think its biased to keep stopping people based on their car choice.

I presume you are refering to me? I don't stop drivers based on what they are driving, I stop cars based on who is driving. We used to have a particular problem with boy racers with many people ringing the station complaining of handbrake turns etc so we targeted them and now they know they cannot mess around anymore.

[/QUOTE] It made me mad one night (and I have a boring standard 06 car) and stopped to get breathalised yet let through an ould fella in a beaten up 4x4 at midnight, I know who i would have the money on for drink driving. And we wonder why guards get a bad name..............[/QUOTE]

Basically you got mad on a presumtion you made. Just because a person is driving a clapped out and dirty car you believed without a doubt in your head they were drink driving.

Just a note, I drive a fairly clapped out car (just for work), it is filthy inside and out and I drive at all hours of the day and night. Does that make you believe I am a drunk driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

TheNog wrote: »
    I presume you are refering to me? I don't stop drivers based on what they are driving, I stop cars based on who is driving. We used to have a particular problem with boy racers with many people ringing the station complaining of handbrake turns etc so we targeted them and now they know they cannot mess around anymore.
    It made me mad one night (and I have a boring standard 06 car) and stopped to get breathalised yet let through an ould fella in a beaten up 4x4 at midnight, I know who i would have the money on for drink driving. And we wonder why guards get a bad name..............[/QUOTE]

Basically you got mad on a presumtion you made. Just because a person is driving a clapped out and dirty car you believed without a doubt in your head they were drink driving.

Just a note, I drive a fairly clapped out car (just for work), it is filthy inside and out and I drive at all hours of the day and night. Does that make you believe I am a drunk driver?[/QUOTE]

Hope your clapped out filthy car has clean legible numberplates.......... Otherwise you could be done

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why not do something radical and fit fully conforming number plates OP?

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »

It made me mad one night (and I have a boring standard 06 car) and stopped to get breathalised yet let through an ould fella in a beaten up 4x4 at midnight, I know who i would have the money on for drink driving. And we wonder why guards get a bad name

Just a note, I drive a fairly clapped out car (just for work), it is filthy inside and out and I drive at all hours of the day and night. Does that make you believe I am a drunk driver?
    ..............[/QUOTE]
    How come I was stopped and breathalysed and the other person wasn't even tho a guard was idle, they made a presumption in the first place.
    Fair enough to boyos causing complaints but I always think it looks very biased at checkpoints to see a row of them pulled over because of the reputation, bit like the ad about speeding kills and the kids start singing at a boyo, bit biased.
    Really got mad one night when i was asked for licence etc etc and given the full works whereas the polish car in front of me was just waved on, am I an easy target? Tho I don't get anything as bad as the OP.

Advertisement