Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone think Mark Hughes will last more than this season with City?

• 02-09-2008 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to me like he's in the same situation Claudio Ranieri was in when the Russkie took over. A lower profile manager put in place by the old regime who has been set an unrealistic target - Robinho won't be enough to push City to fourth. In some way I think Eriksson would have been more suited to the current situation as he at least has some experience with dealing with big name primaddonas, but I think Hughes will be doing well to last into the new year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PMSL!

FFS this is crazy. We've signed one player and the whole world has gone loopy!

Hughes is the best man for the job in terms of getting the best out of the current bunch of players. Training has improved since he took over, as has discipline in and around the club, as has the attitude of the players. He is the man to take us forward and the events of the past week have proved that with all the deals done on the hush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Xavi6 wrote: »
    PMSL!

FFS this is crazy. We've signed one player and the whole world has gone loopy!

It's not based on the signing on Robinho, it's based on the new owners. They've already set the unrealistic target of Champions League football next season and when they're spending the same kind of money in January on players of Robinho's quality, I don't think they'll trust a manager of Hughes' limited experience to spend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Depends what they new money men are like tbh. Hughes is a good manager, but if City don't win anything this year then the Arabs might get rid of him and fire 10 trillion pound at someone and see how they do... Can't really do anything except speculate at this stage

But all the best to City. I wish them longevity with their manager :) (and mediocrity everywhere else :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

he is goin nower for a while! i can see him there for the duration of his contract with the exception if citeh have a number of shocking performances and are bottom half mediocraty ehich lets be honest isnt likely to happen! with the last owner he probably would have left (jumped before he was pushed) but with these new owners i'd say they will leave him to it and he will defo last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hughes is the best man for the job in terms of getting the best out of the current bunch of players. Training has improved since he took over, as has discipline in and around the club, as has the attitude of the players. He is the man to take us forward and the events of the past week have proved that with all the deals done on the hush.

I think you're 100% right.

But I think the OP's made a decent point. How many of these deals are at the behest, or indeed with the knowledge, of Sparky?

When a player like Robinho is brought in by powers above the manager's head, does it undermine the manager's authority?

Could Robinho end up a separate figure to the other players, seen as a totem figure brought in, and therefore responsible to, figures other than the manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Sparky is definitely not a yes man! It seemed to me he was seriously undermined yesterday as the new owners were putting in offers for all and sundry probably without even consulting him. In his sky news interview Sparky was asked had he talked to Robinho and he hadn't. Surely the manager needs to talk to a player before he signs?Can't see him putting up with that for too long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sparky suggested in his interview he has been aware of this thing since the start. Ultimately though, he'll have to push for top 4 this season to keep his job. Doesn't need to get it, but he has to push strongly for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I supose he wont last longer than January

Advertisement