Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News: Google Chrome

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah totally agree. It's very normal for companies to reuse EULA's and they obviously overlooked it in the rush to get it out. Uninstalling a software program cause you think big-bad-google might use it against you one day is just silly...

I know people who won't even have a gmail account they are so paranoid!
    Must be really horrible to live your life in fear like that...

Anyhoo I for one cannot wait to see what happens with this. Basically due to the completely open nature of the software we'll see spin-offs poppin up all over the place, even ones from the super-paranoid people!

I hope they get some good extensions a-la firefox. I'm not quite ready to switch it as my default, but I find myself using both a lot. Not ideal but i still like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

FruitLover wrote: »
    Slutmonkey, your main points appear to be that this browser is 'ripping off' other browsers. You can say exactly that about every single other browser in existence (in fact, about pretty much any piece of software full stop) in one way or another.

Of course software does. But since Microsoft gets hammered all day every day for being late to the table with software features that competitors have had for years/decades, why should Google be any different? Chrome is getting a lot of tame IT press for being innovative and different, when it is actually derivative and uninteresting.

Why use Firefox/Opera/IE when you can use Chrome, you ask? A better question is why use Chrome when you can use another browser that already got 90-99% of the same features, and a lot of useful features Chrome hasn't got, and has been doing it better for years? Chrome is nothing more than an extension of Gears/Desktop/Office and its purpose is to lever you away from the established IT players and, ideally, onto nothing but Google-run products where they can serve you ads all day. (or not serve you ads and falsify the records as the case may be)
    Not only that, but the innovations the Google guys have brought to the table will be assimilated by the other developers as well (e.g. I don't know about you, but I'm bloody sick of one flash-crippled tab killing my entire Firefox browser, or crappy plugin programming irrecoverably eating up my memory).

"Innovations"? As I listed above, I don't see any innovations in Chrome, just a lot of copypasta schlock. And if you're pissed off with one tab crashing your browser, take it out on the webmaster, not the browser maker - email that mother and tell him his code licks donkey balls. The same functionality can be had by running multiple instances. I repeat, Innovative is not on the list.
    Also, it's a beta that's out one bleedin' day. How fast/stable do you people expect it to be?

Because Google have this cute system of releasing "beta" software to the public that is actually a full release that comes with a neat "oh it doesn't work? Sorry, it's beta." disclaimer - that runs for years. How long has gmail been "beta" now? MS takes less time to release a fuc.king OS.
    Arabel wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but how and why?

Have they legions of people sifting through the data of potentially millions of people in the hope to find something good that they can stick their name to and then be effectively accused of plagiarism by most net users. They could wheel out their EULA as much as they wanted and while legally they might be covered realistically it would be brand suicide.

Say you're someone like Joel Veitch, and you create a flash animation/video/post that goes massively viral. Under copyright law, you own it and if someone wants to use it for commercial purposes, they have to pay you. BUT if you used one of google's many apps/"services" that have this "standard" EULA, then you have passed them the right to use it. They can run ads on it, remix it, remake it, sell it, and never pay you a penny. They don't have to sift through everything. The beauty of the catch is you give them the right, they don't have to go looking for it. And since they archive the entire web, they've already got a copy.

One of the the strongest things Google has going for it is its name as a decent reliable company. And to start ripping off peoples creative works would do nothing but harm.
    Mark200 wrote: »
    Why google "especially"?

One of the great myths google has been able to keep up over the past few years is that they're a responsible, decent company with their famous "Do no Evil" mantra. As has been exposed numerous times, this is nothing more than PR bull**** in the modern Google. They've handed over political bloggers to be tortured, they've censored, they've restricted access at a Government's behest, they've stolen ad payments, they've done whatever they need to do to get a foothold in emerging markets and keep their profits up. None of this has harmed their bottom line, none of the controversies have lasted and it will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Amen

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah totally agree. It's very normal for companies to reuse EULA's and they obviously overlooked it in the rush to get it out. Uninstalling a software program cause you think big-bad-google might use it against you one day is just silly...

I know people who won't even have a gmail account they are so paranoid!
    Must be really horrible to live your life in fear like that...

Ask the chinese political bloggers (and their families) who had their identities released to their police to comply with Google's need for gaining a bigger slice of the Chinese ad market what they think.

Oh wait you can't, they've "disappeared" or been locked up.
    Anyhoo I for one cannot wait to see what happens with this. Basically due to the completely open nature of the software we'll see spin-offs poppin up all over the place, even ones from the super-paranoid people!

I hope they get some good extensions a-la firefox. I'm not quite ready to switch it as my default, but I find myself using both a lot. Not ideal but i still like it.

Wow, an open-source browser! I've never used one of those before... what kind of new paradigms will be opened up? Maybe someone will create an AdBlock extension?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Eh, this thread is about a browser buddy.
    Not a mythical super villain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Say you're someone like Joel Veitch, and you create a flash animation/video/post that goes massively viral. Under copyright law, you own it and if someone wants to use it for commercial purposes, they have to pay you. BUT if you used one of google's many apps/"services" that have this "standard" EULA, then you have passed them the right to use it. They can run ads on it, remix it, remake it, sell it, and never pay you a penny. They don't have to sift through everything. The beauty of the catch is you give them the right, they don't have to go looking for it. And since they archive the entire web, they've already got a copy.

After, of course, they sift through their own data to find out if you actually used chrome to post it.

So lets say they take the video use it in ads or whatever, then what do you think is going to happen?

The creator of the video comes out makes a big fuss out of it and Google gets slammed by the rest of the internet. It doesn't matter how well they are legally covered, a lot of pissed off people on the internet can badly harm google's business. All for what, to save google's creative team from doing a bit of work? The damage to the name would cause a backtrack and probably an apology. By the way have you got any decent sources on those alleged controversys. Tried looking but can't find anything solid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How do you know we're wearing tinfoil hats?????? Can you read our minds????

*applies more tinfoil*

@slutmonkey - The reason I use this over firefox isn't because it because it's faster. That is an important feature to me, probably the most important. The each tab being in a separate process is good too. Yes it's the web devs fault or the plugins fault but I don't really care whose fault it is, I just don't want that killing my browser when it happens. Saying that someone above said that one tab killed their browser so it probably isn't sorted in this version. When it leaves beta (probably not long after 2020) it should hopefully work.

Arabel wrote: »
    After, of course, they sift through their own data to find out if you actually used chrome to post it.

If only they had some way of searching the data.....
    So lets say they take the video use it in ads or whatever, then what do you think is going to happen?

The creator of the video comes out makes a big fuss out of it and Google gets slammed by the rest of the internet. It doesn't matter how well they are legally covered, a lot of pissed off people on the internet can badly harm google's business. All for what, to save google's creative team from doing a bit of work? The damage to the name would cause a backtrack and probably an apology.

Short term damage. People will forget. It would be pasted over as an "oversight" just like the EULA.
    By the way have you got any decent sources on those alleged controversys. Tried looking but can't find anything solid.

[IRONY]Google is your friend.[/IRONY]

http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2008/05/22/india-google-assists-police-in-orkut-users-arrest/

Have a look through the Inquirer, they've got some good stuff on happy cuddly google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

One of the great myths google has been able to keep up over the past few years is that they're a responsible, decent company with their famous "Do no Evil" mantra. As has been exposed numerous times, this is nothing more than PR bull**** in the modern Google. They've handed over political bloggers to be tortured, they've censored, they've restricted access at a Government's behest, they've stolen ad payments, they've done whatever they need to do to get a foothold in emerging markets and keep their profits up. None of this has harmed their bottom line, none of the controversies have lasted and it will continue.

What ad payments have they stolen?

And I don't see how censoring and restricting things is "evil" tbh. If they didn't censor pictures on Google maps and blur out faces there'd be uproar.

I don't believe it's PR bull****, I think people grossly exaggerate things that would barely be mentioned on the internet if it happened to another company simply because of Google's "don't do evil" motto....people then start looking at ways to contradict this for no reason.

People are scared of things that are powerful. Things that, technically, do have the chance to abuse power. But just because they have the chance, doesn't mean they will.
    Just because Google makes billions, and now controls a large proportion of one's internet surfing ritual doesn't mean we should fear them.

Eh, this thread is about a browser buddy.
    Not a mythical super villain.

Google is one of the world's biggest companies. Billions in revenue from ads.
    Microsoft got investigated by the DOJ and EU for less than what Google is getting into right now. Big corporations don't need people to make excuses for them, yet somehow, people do.

@cushion: it's not any faster than Opera. If Opera had better RSS support I'd still be using it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Microsoft got investigated by the DOJ and EU for less than what Google is getting into right now. Big corporations don't need people to make excuses for them, yet somehow, people do.
    I am not saying that you are wrong necessarily. Just that you are dragging a thread ostensibly about a browser release well off by talking all your crazy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

@cushion: it's not any faster than Opera.

I don't know, maybe it's something different about my setup but chrome is faster for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Yes it's the web devs fault or the plugins fault but I don't really care whose fault it is, I just don't want that killing my browser when it happens.

Plus one to that. What's easier - emailing a load of webmasters (who probably (a) don't give a monkey's and (b) probably don't even have the skills to improve their coding) or just using a browser that won't get taken down by dodgy code?

I've also noticed that it's much faster than Firefox for me on startup (I don't use IE or Opera, so I can't give a fair comparison). It's not as stable, but still, not bad for a beta that's only just out the door, eh?
    Because Google have this cute system of releasing "beta" software to the public that is actually a full release that comes with a neat "oh it doesn't work? Sorry, it's beta." disclaimer - that runs for years. How long has gmail been "beta" now?

GMail is beta in name only. It works great. You can't tell me that 'beta' isn't an appropriate moniker for a browser that's only been out as a test version for two days (and allegedly released premature even at that).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ask the chinese political bloggers (and their families) who had their identities released to their police to comply with Google's need for gaining a bigger slice of the Chinese ad market what they think.

Oh wait you can't, they've "disappeared" or been locked up.

Why are you so worried about a mere browser?

Shouldn't you be out making more tinfoil hats or UFO spotting or whatever the f*ck it is that you do to satisfy your paranoia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

@cushion: it's not any faster than Opera. If Opera had better RSS support I'd still be using it.

Isn't that because Microsoft were found to be a monopoly in court?

Also, I use Opera, and Chrome is faster for me too. So far the only problem I have had in chrome was in a text box on a PHPBB forum. I like the simplicity of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

chrome is horrible , complete failure , i know it's still in beta and all but...a resounding MEH!!

Ie 8 beta 2 is actually quite good on the other hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20080903/qotd-crashing-chrome/
    "Care to crash Google’s (GOOG) uncrashable Chrome browser? Simply type the characters “:%” in its address bar and then enjoy the error message …"

Ah well, I still like it and I'm glad the EULA has changed. But as can be seen from this thread, it's a case of 'horses for courses' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

"Care to crash Google’s (GOOG) uncrashable Chrome browser?

Did someone claim it was 'uncrashable'? :confused:

"Care to crash Google’s (GOOG) uncrashable Chrome browser? Simply type the characters “:%” in its address bar and then enjoy the error message …"

Ah well, I still like it and I'm glad the EULA has changed. But as can be seen from this thread, it's a case of 'horses for courses' :)
    Watch the video to the right of that page. He just seems to shout some of the words in his sentence. "It certainly sounds PLAUSIBLE iTunes hasn't had a major OVERHAUL since iTunes SEVEN launched 2 years ago". What the hell is that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Watch the video to the right of that page. He just seems to shout some of the words in his sentence. "It certainly sounds PLAUSIBLE iTunes hasn't had a major OVERHAUL since iTunes SEVEN launched 2 years ago". What the hell is that about?

I don't know much about itunes, but wasn't it Sept 2006 that version 7 WAS the last major overhaul of the sofware? Version 8 has some kind of movies on demand feature. With all due respect to his expertise, his accent and the up and down modulation in his tone is quite annoying and distracts from the message :rolleyes: - seems to go with the territory though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

The reviews of Chrome are pissing me off big time. It's all "Google has launched a new browser but, hey look, it isn't perfect" type nonsense. Haven't seen much focus on the fact that it's just a beta being made available to trial and test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Oiche_mhaith

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Why are you so worried about a mere browser?

Shouldn't you be out making more tinfoil hats or UFO spotting or whatever the f*ck it is that you do to satisfy your paranoia?

wow... how nieve, google knew exactly what it was doing and pretending that it used a "standard" EULA and the fact that you believe them and slag someone off for highlighting their tactics and the fact that they continualy abuse their control of information... and have been proven to do so .... the muppet show is back in town....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

wow... how nieve, google knew exactly what it was doing and pretending that it used a "standard" EULA and the fact that you believe them and slag someone off for highlighting their tactics and the fact that they continualy abuse their control of information... and have been proven to do so .... the muppet show is back in town....

Proven in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'm really liking Chrome except for one damn thing.This FUPPING spellcheck is driving me FUPPING mad!!:mad::mad:.Can anyone find where you turn it off??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Learn how to spell? :p

Seriously, I haven't seen a way to turn it off.

Ponster wrote: »
    Learn how to spell? :p

Seriously, I haven't seen a way to turn it off.

LOL!! I can spell alright but this bloody thing alerts me of every single discrepancy FFS.It should definitely give one the option of disabling it

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Can anyone find where you turn it off??

From Yaho! Answers :

1) Quit Chrome
    2) Open file "Preferences" in "Chrome\User Data\Default\" directory where Chrome is installed (eg. on my machine is in c:\Documents and Settings\<my username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\)
    3) remove language code from following block:
    "spellcheck": {"dictionary": "<language code>"} (leave two empty quotes in place)
    4) Start Chrome. Spellcheck should be disabled now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I'm the reverse, I've gotten so used to the spell check I wouldn't do without it now. First thing I missed when checking new IE browsers. So was actually glad Chrome had it :)

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    From Yaho! Answers :

1) Quit Chrome
    2) Open file "Preferences" in "Chrome\User Data\Default\" directory where Chrome is installed (eg. on my machine is in c:\Documents and Settings\<my username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\)
    3) remove language code from following block:
    "spellcheck": {"dictionary": "<language code>"} (leave two empty quotes in place)
    4) Start Chrome. Spellcheck should be disabled now.

Odd, when i found preferences.Windows gave me a choice of files to open with.I could only get it to open with Notepad.When i look at the file, there is no sign of that block("spellcheck": {"dictionary": "<language code>"} (leave two empty quotes in place)).Anyone else came across this??I'm using Vista Premium, if it matters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Can't seem to download this. I get this page. Anyone else?

I should say that I am currently in a country that the george has branded as evil. I am yet to see any evil people mind you.

Khannie wrote: »
    I should say that I am currently in a country that the george has branded as evil. I am yet to see any evil people mind you.

That's because they've burned your eyes out ! Google for "chrome torrent" for another download link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Downloaded it today. I'm very impressed with the speed of page loading etc... Will have to see what other add-ons come out for it though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Anyone got trouble with Youtube videos? Any video I choose gets the "video no longer available " message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Me no like the skin. Looks like someone made a browser with frontpage and crayons.
    But that said I like it. Not very revolutionary as yet. The most used sites on the homepage is pretty cool.
    Except when they are all porn.

dr.bollocko,

you can easily give Chrome the vista look (works exceptionally well in XP too)

chromethemeszz9.jpg

:)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

How did you do that?

Cheers man. I have a black theme for xp and have a black theme for firefox. Really hate the blueish theme chrome comes with but this one looks good.

How did you do that?

Almighty,

as posted above, you just rplace one dll file.

There are two shades of black to choose from.

If you open Windows Explorer & type this string into the Address Bar it will take you directly to the folder with the dll file on your system (just copy & paste it).

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\0.2.149.27\Themes

The dll file is in THIS article too.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

In order to trigger the Easter egg, type the commands in the Chrome Address bar. Enjoy

about:memory
    about:stats
    about:network
    about:internets (XP Only)
    about:histograms
    about:dns
    about:plugins
    about:cache
    about:version
    about:crash
    about:% (This will actually crash the browser briefly)
    about:config

-

Can the "Most Visited" be manipulated (Moved, Sorted, Deleted?) :confused:

-

eVeNtInE wrote: »

yeah like http://www.penisland.net/

they never get pens into stock tho....

eVeNtInE wrote: »

depends on the individual , i always see pen is land......

tgdaily:Chrome is a security nightmare, indexes your bank accounts.
    cnet:Google's Omnibox could be Pandora's box

:eek:
    good thing i installed it ina virtual machine...:rolleyes:

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Odd, when i found preferences.Windows gave me a choice of files to open with.I could only get it to open with Notepad.When i look at the file, there is no sign of that block("spellcheck": {"dictionary": "<language code>"} (leave two empty quotes in place)).Anyone else came across this??I'm using Vista Premium, if it matters...

I've just tried it in XP Pro & I'm getting exactly the same results as you Zonda :confused:

I installed Chrome the day it was released & uninstalled it the following morning, not because I disliked it (I think it's going to be good). I just wanted to check out the uninstall feature to see if it would cause any problems afterwards.

When I reinstalled it I noticed that there was a difference on the version number, so Google must be tweaking it live, so to speak. :eek:

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact both of us were unable to locate that string/Block in the Preferences file? Maybe they changed it since the post in Yahoo!

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

papu wrote: »

I think he misunderstands what HTTPS is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sorry if it's been posted already. The Economist's reaction: http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12070730&fsrc=nwl

• Advertisement
Advertisement