Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dashboard and Instrument Light not working

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I replaced the radio in my '02 Nissan Almera yesterday with a newer one. The wiring seemed pretty straight forward.

I noticed the previous installer/owner (it wasn't the original factory fitted radio either) hadn't connected the ground at back of the old radio. I did this time as the new radio wouldn't operate without it. I then simply wired up the speakers one at a time. Radio worked perfectly, with the correct speakers, so I went back inside happy.

Went to go for a drive later on last night, and the feicin dash wouldn't light up :mad:, along with the hazard light button and the instrument lights (behind the fan, de-mister etc..). I tried unplugging the radio altogether but no luck. It's not a fuse either as I've checked them all at this stage. I've also tried plugging the radio in with the ground not connected as was previously done but again, no light.

I must admit, that while I had to radio out, I had a quick look at the wiring behind the de-mister as this hasn't been working since I bought the car. I unplugged two connectors, which were pretty stiff but plugged them back in again.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Or even how I might go about diagnosing the problem?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

There is usually an illumination wire with every headunit. This is connected to a feed behind the dash that goes to 12v when the parks/lights are switched on. This wire "tells" the radio the lights are on so it assumes it's dark out and dims the screen of the radio. It seems like you may have connected this wire (usually orange) to earth or some other wire.

How many fuse locations are in the car? There's usually two. Check them all again, preferably with a MM or test lamp as it's quicker than removing all the fuses one by one to check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Where would the other fuse box be likely to be located, in the engine compartment? I'll have a check at luch time anyway.

The parks are actually working at the moment either, but the bulbs could be just gone. I only noticed yesterday also when I discovered the problem.

What I don't understand is if it's the wiring, then why did the previous radio work okay along with the dash light. I'm 99% sure the display didn't dim when the lights were switched on either.

It would appear that one of the fuses under the bonnet is gone. The reason you didnt have this problem with the old radio is that the illumination wire was not connected by the previous owner.

Cheers Diesel. There was a fuse gone alright ;-). The fuse guide said "tail light", which I'm sure is on the same circuit as the parks and the dash lights.

Replaced it anyway and turned the lights on causing it to blow again. So, I'll have to revisit the wiring at the back of the radio later on.

Your probably right about the illumination wire. There's a possibility that, this is what I'm using for ground at the back of the radio, which is still working fine. I know I've got the 12V and ignition wires correct anyway. So it should be just a case of finding the correct ground now. From what I remember, the one I'm using is orange or yellow. There were two or three other stary wires not being used, so I'm hoping it's one of these.

Most nissans don't have an earth wire, well the newest I've worked on is 1999. They get their earth off the radio ariel, or you could bring an earth from the cig lighter socket to the chassis of the radio.

Refer to the link below, they may be the same.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if you ahvent connected the illumination wire and its tipping of the chassis and going to ground this could be causing your short and blowing the fuse

Thanks for the help guys. I've got the dash light back working again :D

It must have been the illumination cable I was using as ground for the radio so. As is, the radio is working also, with no ground connection and no fuses are blowing, thank feic. I'm assuming, that the radio casing (metal), which is connected to a metal chassis is acting to close the circuit so. I've just left the illumination wire unconnected, like it was before I removed the last radio.

The park lights are still out of action, although their bulbs haven't blown, but they're the least of my worries as I usually opt for dips anyway.

Once again, cheers for the pointers ;)

Advertisement