Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back in the saddle - advice welcome

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

When in my teens I used to do a fair bit of cycling on a road bike, and even competed in one local race. I then got distracted with various other things e.g. girls, part-time work, etc. :pac: Although distracted my love of cycling never really left me.

Now in my thirties, I am considering getting back in the saddle to improve my fitness initially and then see where it goes from there.

So I need to get kitted up, and was wondering what you guys would recommend.

From browsing the web, I have come across Cyclesuperstore and Cycleways who both seem to offer fitting services and starter options/help. Are these good shops, and do you know experienced people in there I should deal with ? Anywhere else you would recommend ? Also, what should I be looking to spend to get going ?

For your information I live northside out past the airport if there are shops I am unware of !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Well seeing as you are dipping your toe first things first - go on buy and sell and get yourself a road bike that needs no work (you don't want any excuse not to take the sucker out). Then hit the shops and buy some decent gear. Then hit the road. The weather is lovely at the moment so you picked a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

eddiem74 wrote: »
    For your information I live northside out past the airport if there are shops I am unware of !

There's Eurocycles out in Airside retail park -they're not too bad and do BH bikes -they have some quality entry level stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Sorry a little out of touch over the years, so what about all this bike fitting stuff, can I get away with out doing that? How will I determine framesize, handlebars, stem-size, etc. ? Is there otherways I can determine this myself ?

Also, what brands/makes should I be considering for a starter bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

My best suggestion would be to go into Eurocycles (or whereever) and ask their advice. They'll sort out sizing/fitting/everything you need. May be a little more expensive than going second hand/online, but if you're starting out it's the easiest and best way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭BaBiT

Did the exact same thing as yourself about two years ago...Had done a bit of cycling from my midteens to early twenties...Gave it up due to 'distractions' too...then at 36 my Doc told my my cholestorel levels were a small bit on the high side...I'd been thinking about getting back on the bike for a while (like you say it never leaves you) so I wandered in to my local bike shop and they were really helpful..Got the sizing right for me (for some reason they don't sell 21" frames anymore!)..Bought a Trek 1000, pair of shoes, basic bike computer, pair of cycling tights (got these in Cycleways and paid a bit for them, don't skimp on things going under your ar*e) and a jersey from Lidl...Got back on and haven't looked back since (except for traffic!)

Now, two years on, I'm still on the bike..Don't train as much as I'd like but then with family/work commitments take over more so than in my teens but I try to get out as much as possible...Have enjoyed buying bits of gear here and there...Have a new bike (Specialized Tarmac Pro) and have my Trek on a home trainer (great for days like today when its chucking it down and I'm working from home)..Was surprised how quickly my love of cycling returned, I'm stuck into cycling on the TV (even watched the coverage of ENECO!) and an avid reader of Cycling Weekly and Cycling Plus (really good for fitness cyclists) and just throughly enjoying my bike all over again

My advice is like the other posters are saying, get along to your local bike shop (have been in EuroCycles in Airside..not bad, and I found Cycleways good too) get a starter bike and some basic kit and get back out, you won't regret it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Having someone else to cycle with and show you some routes can be a great help. There are boards spins every weekend, usually on both Sat and Sun. The levels of fitness varies, so you will feel at home no matter what stage you are at.

Raam wrote: »
    Having someone else to cycle with and show you some routes can be a great help. There are boards spins every weekend, usually on both Sat and Sun. The levels of fitness varies, so you will feel at home no matter what stage you are at.

Yeah, once I get kitted out and get a few spins under my belt I will then look for a club or some spins to get involved in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

"Although distracted my love of cycling never really left me."

Ahh yeah...getting back to the cycling...it's just like riding a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Hey guys this seems like an appropriate place to ask the question. Ive just started taking up cycling again aswell, decided to start cycling into work. Its a 30 minute cycle and I was wondering what clothes would be worth while picking up. Are cycle shorts worth it and whats the benefit of a jersy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Now in my thirties, I am considering getting back in the saddle to improve my fitness initially and then see where it goes from there. !

Ah - did this last year - in my forties - so a young lad like you will have no bother.

Do a bit of research on the bikes - ideally I'ld say go for a few months on a cheap runaround until you get over all the decisions e.g. Hybrid or drops?...Comfort or speed?.....Carbon Fork?....etc. Get to know the difference between Sora and Deore(etc) and test a few bikes in between

Once the bug bites - and it almost certainly will if you go for something with drops - you will get addicted and spend hours reading this forum, watching every detail of the Tour/Giro/Vuelta/Rás on TV. You may give up the golf and football. Heck! you might even buy some of that funny coloured tight clothing and end up a proper Fred!

On a serious note, with winter approaching, do buy some good lighting and something high-viz - you're doing this to live longer - not shorter

Best of luck anyway and don't be afraid to come back to us older guys for advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Tails wrote: »
    Hey guys this seems like an appropriate place to ask the question. Ive just started taking up cycling again aswell, decided to start cycling into work. Its a 30 minute cycle and I was wondering what clothes would be worth while picking up. Are cycle shorts worth it and whats the benefit of a jersy?
    Cycling shorts are the most comfortable thing you can wear on a bike. Cycling jerseys are designed to be relatively tight fitting (although there is a range!) so they do not blow around in the wind and are made of artificial fibres that wick sweat away from your body and keep you cool. There is a big difference from a cotton T-shirt if that is what you are used to.

Neither are neccessary for a 30 minute cycle but they will keep you more comfortable; my own commute is shorter but I would almost always wear cycling gear while on the bike regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

blorg wrote: »
    Cycling shorts are the most comfortable thing you can wear on a bike. Cycling jerseys are designed to be relatively tight fitting (although there is a range!) so they do not blow around in the wind and are made of artificial fibres that wick sweat away from your body and keep you cool. There is a big difference from a cotton T-shirt if that is what you are used to.

Neither are neccessary for a 30 minute cycle but they will keep you more comfortable; my own commute is shorter but I would almost always wear cycling gear while on the bike regardless.

Cheers thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

If you don't want to go the full hog you could get baggy shorts like these dhb's which had a full padded lycra liner. I wear these with a cycling jersey myself commuting and they're very comfortable.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Coolham_Baggy_Cycling_Shorts/5360029458/

Curious to know what you all think on this starter pack ?

I think it helps in getting an idea of all the bits needed, just wondering is this the kind of money you would be talkin or whether that could be improved upon in terms of value/quality?

Thanks again ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭BaBiT

That starter pack isn't bad, it'll give you the essentials...But, as we're coming into winter a short sleeve jersey, shorts and mitts will start to get a bit on the cold side!...I believe (from another post here today) Aldi are selling winter gear next Thursday (18th) so that might be a good place to start...Then I'd maybe even think about a secondhand bike initially (get sized first though in a bike shop) as no doubt when the bug bites you'll start reading about all the good stuff and decide better what you want...Then pedals, shoes, helmet, bike computer and a bottle would be you other expenses..

I reckon you could beat that price that way cos like I say, when the bug bites you'll probably start changing the kit anyway....Enjoy!

Advertisement