Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STALKER: Clear Sky

Options
  • 02-09-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Eurogamer review up:
    7/10

Dammit. Was trying to rush through Shadow of Chernobyl so I could jump straight into this. Might give it a miss now.
    There's been a lot of negativity, hasn't there? There's still a lot of what made Stalker so appealing here. It shows how having these sorts of character-improvement and living world elements can improve a shooter's appeal. Why do you think we're so angry when they take away all our stuff? Between the improved weapon modification and the more living Zone, a certain strand of Stalker fan will find much here to applaud, and those who've never actually played the earlier game at all will still be enchanted by the unique atmosphere of the place... but would be recommended going there first, perhaps with the Oblivion Lost mod attached.
    A little tough? Maybe it's appropriate. Life is tough in the Zone.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yeah read that this morning - very disappointing. Bad design decisions and more bugs. I think I might sit this one out, unless a patch sorts it all out. There's too many other good games coming out this month. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yep. Might finish SOD with no mods and go back and install Oblivion Lost as they suggest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

7/10, and you'd give it a miss? :confused: Thats still a good score, if not the 90% that Stalker got. If you loved the first one, you'll more then likely love this as well.

I've too many other games to play. If they loved the first one and weren't so mad about this one then I would expect to feel the same way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

7/10 is actually ok, I'm worried if its dropped the marks for gameplay effecting bugs though :(, Unfortunately the first stalker at launch was full of bugs and needed a couple patches to fix, lets hope this one will be a better launch expirience...

Nick

• Advertisement

tbh the review actually read worse than a 7/10, i think they were being generous. Both EDGE and IGN gave it 7 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

PC Gamer gave it a mediocre review, and I think a mid-60s score. Sounds like GSC mucked it up a bit.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Kiith wrote: »
    7/10, and you'd give it a miss? :confused: Thats still a good score, if not the 90% that Stalker got. If you loved the first one, you'll more then likely love this as well.

With Spore and Warhammer coming out, I think I'd probably end up not playing it much anyway. Its clearly not an "essential" game. Might pick it up in a few months when its patched though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

PC Zone UK and Games Master UK have both given Clear Sky a score of 88 out of 100, while Edge Magazine gave 7/10 saying the game "turns the best and worse of PC gaming into something extraordinary". [4] PCGamer UK however, awarded the game 68% saying it is "The disappointment of the year", particularly criticizing the increased difficulty and that the atmosphere of the zone was not as well delivered as the original.[5] Fan backlash has accused such negative reviews of playing the game in the wrong frame of mind, wishing it were more like other games such as Bioshock and having unreasonable expectations of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hope they added a quicksave.

I loved the first game, even with all its niggly little problems. I'll be getting this for sure. AI in the first game was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

How many Stalkers are their out ?
    I bought the orginal on the pc when it came out and completed it. Was their another expansion added or is this going to be the first one.

its a prequel i think. This is the 2nd game in the series and not an expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Sounds like he just found it excessively difficult and got pissed when he was jacked.

Quicksave FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, don't listen to Eurogamer! Wait for a real review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im disappointed to hear that review. I read the PCzone mag review last week and they were a bit more favorable. I stilled loved the first game and have had clear sky booked for 2 months. Ill still buy it the minute its out

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, don't listen to Eurogamer! Wait for a real review.

I think Eurogamer gets it right most of the time. Many of their reviewers have been around a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

what price is it going to be, hope it's budget, the original is selling for 14.99 now, will this be the same or will it be a 44.99 job, don't think I could fork that out right now, will probably wait six months till it's down in price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Maximilian wrote: »
    I think Eurogamer gets it right most of the time. Many of their reviewers have been around a long time.

I say pish tosh to that (not because I think its stupid but because its fun to say pish tosh.)

Eurogamer do a lot of their reviews to be 'edgy' and 'different'. They generally end up looking like petulant children not happy with great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I say pish tosh to that (not because I think its stupid but because its fun to say pish tosh.)

Eurogamer do a lot of their reviews to be 'edgy' and 'different'. They generally end up looking like petulant children not happy with great games.
    +1 to that. The review above is horrifically written. The guy really does seem like he's just trying to be "cool". As Sand said, it does sound like he didn't like it because it was too hard for him.

Well having played the first game and noting the changes they have made, I agree with almost everything that reviewer said. The changes to the artifacts for example. I can see my own experience of this game being identical to his, if I were to play it.

To be fair, it doesn't seem as though their review will be much different to any of the others in this case. It seems to be the case of a great idea but the execution doesn't live up to those ideas. And once again it's buggy. I think like last time, it will improve with patches.

Edit: Jim Rossignol of PC Gamer gave it 68% and he's not as quirky as Kieron Gillen. Review here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

7/10 is a fine score, and eurogamer dont know their arse from their elbow at the best of times. Anyone whos played the STALKAN GAEM with oblivion lost mod should know what to expect from CS.
    EG raving about how crap CS is in comparison to SOC fail to remember that SOC was close to being an unplayable mess for months after its release until at least patch v 1.0002 and the mods started appearing. CS will be no different.

0ubliette wrote: »
    7/10 is a fine score, and eurogamer dont know their arse from their elbow at the best of times. Anyone whos played the STALKAN GAEM with oblivion lost mod should know what to expect from CS.
    EG raving about how crap CS is in comparison to SOC fail to remember that SOC was close to being an unplayable mess for months after its release until at least patch v 1.0002 and the mods started appearing. CS will be no different.

Yeah, but in fairness they're reviewing the game that the publishers ship. I bought Stalker when it came out, played it through before any patches were out, and I thought it was a piece of junk. Uninstalled it straight away and it's still sitting on a shelf cos I never got around to selling it. Had even updated my gfx card for it (it was a pretty old card :o).

Might try it again sometime patched and modded, but if they've shipped Clear Sky in the same state, I hope their sales go through the floor.

0ubliette wrote: »

You know I hope you're right but you can't expect a review to be be based on how the game might play after a few patches.

Like MOH, I played the original when it first came out and finally quit as I couldn't stick all of the bugs. Then when the patch did come out, your existing saved games wouldn't work. It was a farce. It was months before I went back to the game and to be honest, I really enjoyed it. Great concept but my experience leads me to believe that...

I still think the reviews I've read are fair and accurate. 7/10 ain't bad but it's not amazing either. Maybe after they patch it, it will be an 8.5, who knows.

Dare I say there appears to be some fanboyism going on here? :pac: And all of this from people who haven't actually played the game yet feel they know better than those who have.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The first STALKER was rough around the edges but it was a unique gaming experience.

Hopefully with Clear Sky the balance issues will be addressed with a mod or patch, otherwise I might hold off until it hits the bargin bin, and I'll need a new PC first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Maximilian wrote: »
    Like MOH, I played the original when it first came out and finally quit as I couldn't stick all of the bugs. Then when the patch did come out, your existing saved games wouldn't work. It was a farce. It was months before I went back to the game and to be honest, I really enjoyed it. Great concept but my experience leads me to believe that...

Re. the first game, I'm in the same boat. I ditched it and came back to it after 6 months, and when I 'cleaned it up' using the various mods that were out by then, I thought it was amazing.

I really want to buy it tomorrow (just after buying a 4870, you gotta love the GFX price wars these days :)), but I know I should hold off for a while. I still have Mass Effect to finish anyway, which isn't a bad game at all. And I want to replay The Witcher when the extended edition comes out soon.

Also, regarding the PC Zone score of 88 for Clear Sky, it was written by that Irish dude Hogarty who I think is a bit of a Stalker SOC fanboy, so he's probably over-rating it a bit. Although, it could just mean that if you liked the original, you'll like this one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

CS got a 9 in games™, so its not all bad news. The first mods are already out for it, and an EU patch is scheduled for release tomorrow ready for launch (tho wether it happens or not is beyond me), the changelog appears to fix a fair feew crashes etc

I think Spore is out tomorrow, plus Warhammer beta on Monday. I think I'll have my hands full for a while. I'm a sucker though, I'll probably end up getting it anyway, despite the reviews and my misgivings,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ordered this from play.com,got an email saying I wont have it for 3-5 days,which means I wont have it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It will be very sad if clear skies is plaged with allot of bugs like the first one, for that they used THQ as a excuse for rushing them to release it, lets hope this one wont be as bad :(

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    It will be very sad if clear skies is plaged with allot of bugs like the first one, for that they used THQ as a excuse for rushing them to release it, lets hope this one wont be as bad :(

Nick

Well, in fairness, they were a tad behind schedule ... :)

Advertisement