Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STALKER: Clear Sky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MOH wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, they were a tad behind schedule ... :)
    They got it out before Duke Nukem Forever though :D

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Been playing it for a couple of hours now and its quite good so far, but there are a lot of bugs.

1st bug became evident the second the game started, some of the walls were flickering black, but this went away after I left the camp and when I returned the flickering didn't come back

Second bug was the biggest I came across, some bandits were about to attack some outpost and I was asked to go up there. When I arrived the bandits were just standing there and 30 feet away from them was an ally standing still. As soon as I opened fire, everyone came to life

Relatively minor stuff but I dont think any game should be released in this state. Granted the flickering could be down to gfx card (8800 GTS). There were a couple other very minor thing bugs but not worth mentioning

Good points -
    Guns have better sound effects
    Vision blur while reloading is a cool addition
    Lots more allies and bandits for slightly larger scale fire fights
    Dynamic light is Very very cool
    I quite like the addition of the artifact detector
    Emission explosions kick ass

However, Starting off in the swamp, you are constantly being called to aid allys for the first hour and some of them you just cant make it in time and its irritating to have guys screaming down the radio for help every 10 seconds

I haven't been playing it for long, but so far i think its quite good. If liked the previous stalker then its worth getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Havent had any crashes or major bug myself. So far, so good. Needs some optimising tho as performance can be poor at times.

My advice for people with performance issues is turn of MSAA in user.ltx file, find the 'r3_msaa on' line, and change it to off. Its a feature that apparrently doesnt even work yet causes a massive performance hit. Also, turn SSAO to either disabled or low for another performance increase. With SSAO on low, im able to run the game in full DX10 mode. when it was on medium the game chugged along.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The patch to update it to 1.5.0.3 is out a few days already.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/12845/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:+Clear+Sky+1.01+Patch

Spear wrote: »
    The patch to update it to 1.5.0.3 is out a few days already.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/12845/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:+Clear+Sky+1.01+Patch

Yeah I got this, its a major patch that solves a lot of performance issues, but please note that when you implement the patch your previous save games become invalid meaning you have to start over again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Déjà vu anyone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Krieg wrote: »
    your previous save games become invalid meaning you have to start over again

well thats a pain in the hole!

first mods are already appearing. just installed a weapon sounds mod to make the guns sound better, definite improvement :D

I don't want to spoil anything but some advice.
    Make a save game when entering the Garbage and keep it, you'll thank me later

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I suspect I'll have this from play.com tomorrow with the help of god,are there any scary bits so far in it?what are the mutants like?any new additions?Is it as atmospheric as the first?and lastly is the AI any good?like is it as random as it was in the first one?

thanks to whoever can answer my many questions....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Second bug was the biggest I came across, some bandits were about to attack some outpost and I was asked to go up there. When I arrived the bandits were just standing there and 30 feet away from them was an ally standing still. As soon as I opened fire, everyone came to life
    I'm guessing this was to give you enough time to get to the outpost before the action started - in case you had been further away.
    Starting off in the swamp, you are constantly being called to aid allys for the first hour and some of them you just cant make it in time and its irritating to have guys screaming down the radio for help every 10 seconds
    You can't save everyone, that's intentional. You have to choose who you can best assist in the time that is given.

I dunno if the could fix one of these 'bugs' without making the other one worse. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is this worth getting lads?

Fnz wrote: »
    You can't save everyone, that's intentional. You have to choose who you can best assist in the time that is given
    Ah that would makes sense

Ive a number of bugs today

- Unable to hand in side quest rewards (NPC's wont give the option to hand over item/recieve reward). Ive got this twice so far
    - Left modified weapons in a secure place. Came back couple hours later to find the weapons had lost all modifications
    - One crash to desktop when changing area

I felt the bugs were quite minor to begin with, but they are really starting to piss me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

5uspect wrote: »
    Déjà vu anyone?

you mean mods! needed to save and make the game playable yet again

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

ToughyIRE wrote: »
    you mean mods! needed to save and make the game playable yet again

No, the first patch nuking your save games. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yep. It just shows how fundamentally a game is broken if the patch prevents you from playing your old save games.

Stalker (at least the old one anyway) is one of those games that you need to ignore for the first few months following release to let the bugs get ironed out before you invest your time. Otherwise you'll find yourself half-way through and then discovering a showstopper bug that a patch will fix that you can't apply because you can't load your save game!

I'll come back to this in a few months i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

For some reason I can't capture the last point so i can leave the swamps. I killed all the bandits around the area yet Clear Sky can't be arsed to send any reinforcements to secure the final zone i captured.

Waited 10 mins for them to show up.

/sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Does it have the same feel as stalker, like wide open areas with dogs and stuff running around at night.

Whats the AI lIKE?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The 1.5.0.4 patch is out and guess what it does to your savegames....

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/12845/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:+Clear+Sky+1.5.04+Patch+-+Retail

• Advertisement

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/12845/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:+Clear+Sky+1.5.04+Patch+-+Retail
    ffs.....

As much as I love the game, theres just too many bugs that I had to stop playing

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

You're kidding!

Maximilian wrote: »
    You're kidding!

Nope, just lost a good few hours of gameplay, was happily running about with a tooled up AK74 and now I'm back to that crappy pistol and shotgun again.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

That's unbelievable they could do that again. I imagine people are up in arms about it. I see the official forums are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I got multiple bugs right upto the ending (where some of the scripting broke and actually make it possible to complete the "objective", otherwise...!?). I needed to get 2 usermade scripts to stop the items in the chests "overflowing", think there is an issue where too many items spawn in them (I was getting 40 medpacks and 1000s of rounds of ammo in them, that cant be normal) otherwise CTD within 15seconds of entering certain areas.

EDIT: The crate problem is listed as fixed in the newest save nuking patch:
    "Fixed
    - fixed error related to a large number of ammo in crates in camps, which caused a crash due to excessive identifiers. "

This is version 1.5.04, think of the people with version 1.0, 1.1 etc!

ive had surprisingly few bugs so far. Ive had no crashes, and the only glitches ive seen are occasionally the screen will flash with like warped ground textures for a millisecond, i can live with that. Really enjoying it so far but its still not as good as shadow of chernobyl. And at times, my modded version of SOC (stalker skies mod, SKY4CE, float32, S.H.A.R.P.E.R textures mods isntalled) looks better than clear sky IMO. also, it inspired me to finally book a tour of pripyat this month, ill be doing some real life stalking in chernobyl :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I finally got the original stalker (on sale for 5.99 in morrisons), and with the mods and stuff it's fairly solid and probably one of the best games i've played in a while.

So given the same timeline, i'll probably pick up clear sky in a few years time when the Mod community have worked their magic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

So, are people still playing?
    Did you get far?
    Whats it like gameplay / story wise ?
    Are the bugs still a major problem ?

Still playing it, finished it the other week. Story = awful. Ending = awful. Final section of the game = frustrating beyond belief. Once you get to lemansk its no turning back and they wasted the whole new area by pretty much making it non explorable.
    Still, im playing it again as it still manages to suck you in, its still a damn good game. Havent had TOO many crashes. Playing with a good few mods installed at the moment to improve it a bit, its a great game, just not as great as SOC.

• Advertisement

all the talk of bugs is putting me off playing this.

Advertisement