Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAGBRAI USA- newbie here want to attempt this next summer

Options
  • 02-09-2008 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if any of ye have ever done this cycle. its a cross counrty cycle for over the state of Iowa. Basically, I want to do this next summer and would need to start training asap for this. I am a newbie and my only experiece is spinning classes. Anyone any tips for a newbie cycler aiming to get 600 miles cycled before next July at a sensible rate?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

That's a multi-day brevet isn't it?

First advice would be to make sure you have the right bike - a touring bike with drop handlebars, mudguards, pannier racks, slick tyres etc. If there's much riding to be done at night then look into maybe getting a generator hub to drive the lighting system.

Apart from that, start training now. Start off with low milage and build it up over the weeks. It's important to build up gradually and not pile on the miles at the start. There's a few Audax events run throughout the country during the year and these would be good training for this ride. This years list is here http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/?page_id=25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Thanks for the link! Its so tempting to get out and see how much I can do but slow and steady is the way to do it. i want to actually enjoy the event while I am there and be conditioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's supported as far as I know, with your luggage transported, so you can do it on a road bike. This would tend to be easier and more fun than doing it on a loaded tourer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Irn

While i have not done this ride (I live in San Francisco CA) I know people who have. This is more like a week long drunk fest and party then serious tour, lots of first time folks. Iowa is very flat in most parts, and the people are very friendly. This is a major event for the state, and one they are very proud of. Weather can be very hot and humid, with some amazing thunderstorms. Not sure why of all the tours in the states you picked this one, but I am sure with a good attitude, nice smile, and lovely Irish accent you will be made to feel very welcome

Advertisement