Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keegan to walk (watch this space)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Newcastle would be a huge club if they were actually run properly - from top to bottom. Giving "jobs" to the likes of Dennis Wise signalled the end for Keegan, imo.

God only knows who they're gonna get in instead of Kev....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

mike65 wrote: »
    Kicking myself for not slamming a 100 notes on this when I started this thread. :(

Mike.
    I backed him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

PHB wrote: »
    Keegan was only ever good when he had money to spend. I don't know what he expected or what Ashley expected. If you want to be cheap, why else but big sam?

more to do with directorial interference by the sounds of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

KEEGAN HAS WALKED. Not wanting to be psssimistic here but I knew this would end in tears. Did anyone see Mike Ashley downing his pint at The Emirates on Sat? Geordies out there must be pissed. Any suggestions for a new manager? Dennis Wise with Alan Shearer?, Ant & Dec? They were looking good until completely played off the park by Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ashby's gonna need something big here to save face. My money's on Shearer with or without an assistant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ashby's gonna need something big here to save face. My money's on Shearer with or without an assistant.

They might be better off getting an actual football manager. Then again, the BBC might be better off getting an actual analyst...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

How many managers is that in the last 10 years ?

Lets use Man Utd as a frame of reference.

Manchester Utd

Alex Ferguson 1986-Current (stability and success)

Arsenal

Arsene Wenger 1996-Current (stability and success)

Newcastle Utd

Willie McFaul 1985-1988
    Jim Smith 1988-1991
    Ossie Ardiles 1991-1992
    Kevin Keegan 1992-1997 (good times with stability)
    Kenny Dalglish 1997-1998

Last 10 years:

Ruud Gullit 1998-1999
    Bobby Robson 1999-2004 (good bit of stability there)
    Graeme Souness 2004-2006
    Glenn Roeder 2006-2007
    Sam Allerdyce 2007-2008
    Kevin Keegan 2008-2008

Depressing if you are a Geordie isn't it? (Arsenal fan myself)

No wonder Newcastle Brown Ale is so popular, it drowns the sorrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

They might be better off getting an actual football manager. Then again, the BBC might be better off getting an actual analyst...

Hahahaaha. So true. He has no experience in management WHATSOEVER.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Shearer might be good enough for that rent a chav bunch outside St. James, but I guarantee you the vast majority of the fans don't want him to use Newcastle as his managerial guinea pig.

But I think it's irrelevant, as he won't go near the club in it's present state, his ego (and sense) won't let him have an upstart like Wise calling his shots.

Ashley, over to you, because by heck son you're gonna need to pull a rabbit out of the hat if you ever want to set foot anywhere near our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd be very surprised if Shearer takes the job after KK walks. Its another sad day for Newcastle United. Someone mentioned their fans above. The greatest fans of any club in England, they have had to put up with a lot of bad times and a lot of silly decisions by different owners.
    KK was right to walk, he wanted to hold on to players and was not listened to, he wanted some new faces and got none. How do you expect a Manager to do his job with those in charge of transfers not paying any heed to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Happy days for me.Put 20 euro on him not lasting the year :D.What a joke of a man and a club.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Happy days for me.Put 20 euro on him not lasting the year :D.What a joke of a man and a club.
    What makes you say that KK is a joke?
    And what makes you say that the Newcastle fans are a joke, they are a part of the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

And what makes you say that the Newcastle fans are a joke, they are a part of the club?

When did he say anything about the fans?

And what do you base your "Greatest fans of any English club" off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

While the timing comes as something of surprise, this was pretty much the only possible outcome from the day Keegan returned. I have to say for once I don't feel sorry for any of the parties involved. Keegan should have known better then to come back. Ashby is doubly at fault - first for the shabby treatment of Sam Alardyce and secondly for caving to the fans wishes by appointing Keegan instead of doing things in the best interests of the club. I don't even feel sorry for the fans, they have contributed to this joke by turning on Alardyce when it was obvious he was building the club up for the future.

As far as replacements go, Shearer would have to be insane to step in there, and most managers with any kind of good track record and experience will also avoid it. I can't see the fans even giving Wise a chance, but at the moment he seems like the only option.

I really hope Newcastle get it right this time, but with Ashby at the helm and fans with hugely unrealistic expectations in the stands I think its pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Have always had a soft spot for KK. Sad to see it end like this really. Newcastle were starting to get some pride back.

Ashley comes across as a capricious, weak, wannabe man child.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What makes you say that KK is a joke?

Excuse me. Are you quoting me? I never said KK was a joke or the fans...I said it's a joke of a CLUB and i meant ashely is a joke of a man. In reality i feel sorry for the fans that they have to put up with all the B.S. surrounding the club. If you didnt put money on KK being out of there within the year then sorry for ya. It was as obvious as day he would never last.

Excuse me. Are you quoting me? I never said KK was a joke or the fans...I said it's a joke of a CLUB and i meant ashely is a joke of a man. In reality i feel sorry for the fans that they have to put up with all the B.S. surrounding the club. If you didnt put money on KK being out of there within the year then sorry for ya. It was as obvious as day he would never last.

IN REALITY , CLUB = the fans too......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Is trolling as fun as gambling?

in fairness Charlie, what do you expect people to say? oh how unfortunate.....poor newcastle.....poor keegan......how unlucky?

when ashley sacked big sam, it was clear as day for everyone except newcastle fans to see that the new owner was continuing tradition previous owners by making Newcastle look like a joke. We were instead accused of trolling, of all sorts and told how things were different with ashley.

Re-hiring the fragile,overly emotional, never finished a job in his life keegan confirmed that there was indeed something in the air that was making people lose touch with reality in Newcastle.

today simply confirms wat we said at the time.

newcaslte is being run by clowns and is a joke. the fans tolerating it and making excuses includes them in the "joke" bracket too.

Ok then Ashley you were on about, I presumed it was KK as he is in the thread title.

As far as the fans are concerned I think of the fans as part of the club, especially Newcastle fans.

• Advertisement

IN REALITY , CLUB = the fans too......

Ok then. I'll reword it. The club minus the fans are a joke.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness Charlie, what do you expect people to say? oh how unfortunate.....poor newcastle.....poor keegan......how unlucky?

I have deleted my comment, as I understood it initially to imply that KK was the joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Here are the current odds from Paddy Power on the next manager:

Next Newcastle manager

Denis Wise the current favourite with Shearer, Deschamps, Moyes, Poyet and Bilic following him.

I think Wise is the likely choice.

I have a very uneasy feeling that the Joey Barton story that emerged yesterday might have been the spark that set all this off.

Mr Alan wrote: »

when ashley sacked big sam, it was clear as day for everyone except newcastle fans to see that the new owner was continuing tradition previous owners by making Newcastle look like a joke. We were instead accused of trolling, of all sorts and told how things were different with ashley.

Re-hiring the fragile,overly emotional, never finished a job in his life keegan confirmed that there was indeed something in the air that was making people lose touch with reality in Newcastle.

today simply confirms wat we said at the time.

newcaslte is being run by clowns and is a joke. the fans tolerating it and making excuses includes them in the "joke" bracket too.

I cant agree with that. The fans in todays game have little or no input into how the club is run. You could make the same arguement about my own team Liverpool...dont we tolerate G&H at the club.We havent forced them out the door. Are all our fans a joke because of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

This is a joke!
    I only read this now, i don't understand with these owners. The premier league should do more to control this, the man was only there for 8months. What could he have done wrong?
    He had no control in the club and was basically a puppet with his own players

Am absolutely gutted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I cant agree with that. The fans in todays game have little or no input into how the club is run. You could make the same arguement about my own team Liverpool...dont we tolerate G&H at the club.We havent forced them out the door. Are all our fans a joke because of that?

mate, not sure if you were here when Ashley took over and subsequently got rid of big sama little while later, but Newcastle fans claimed it was the right decision as soon as the owner did it. they back the owner over the manager who had a record of overachieving at clubs.

so a fair comparrison would be if G&H sacked Rafa last November when we were struggling, and the fans just roled over and accepted it. if we had have done that, we'd deserve to be called the same thing i am calling Newcastle now. (although newcastle would be more deserving due to the last 10 years of bolloxology)

Liverpool fans didnt just take it and make excuses as to why it was the right decision, they hit the streets in protest. thats why Liverpool is different to Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've said it before and it's as relevant now as it was then.

Newcastle fans are to easily bought off by the club's owners, all it has traditionally taken is a big name signing and there's 20k at Sid James' for the unveiling with all forgiven until the next crisis. That gives the suits the wrong message, and it's one that Freddie Sheppard exploited for years before Ashley came along.

Even Keegan's appointment was an example, a man who'd spent the previous three years playing golf gets appointed and all is suddenly rosy on the Tyne. I questioned the calibre of Wise/Vetere/Jiminez and their ability to deliver for Newcastle before and was shot down. Ashley appears on the terraces wearing a replica shirt and he's one of the lads, Big Mike loves the club and it's onwards and upwards. What a difference a day makes.

It's ironic that Newcastle are known as the Magpies, they do seem to be distracted by shiny things all right.

I will say this, I feel for a lot of the Toon fans on this board who I know must feel utterly sh1t right now. I'm hoping that yet another false dawn might encourage a little perspective for the future and see you demand more consistency from your club's owners instead of repeated quick fixes.

Paul Doyle from the Guardian has written something I wholeheartedly agree with:
    Here we go, then, time to lampoon Kevin Keegan again. Time to repeat that he's a blubby man-child, that from the moment he returned to Newcastle in January he was a tantrum waiting to be thrown. Time to smirk knowingly that this was always going to end in tears. Well, maybe it was, but what if his departure, which according to our information has indeed happened though it has not yet been confirmed by the club, wasn't Keegan's fault? What if the cliché isn't true?

One of the underlying causes of the frustration that famously led Keegan to jack in the England job while in the Wembley toilets was that the FA had refused to let him hire Arthur Cox as his right-hand man (on the grounds, according to Keegan, that at 60 Cox was too old). At Newcastle he was able to resume his long and fruitful working relationship with Cox - until last month, that is, when Cox stepped down without public explanation. That was perhaps a sign of how grim the environment was, an environment in which Keegan was undermined not by his own emotional frailty but by a perverse structure that enabled celebrated football guru Denis Wise to exert more influence on the team than him.

Owner Mike Ashley, who has admitted to not knowing the extent of debt he inherited when he bought the club, and who possibly knows more about the intricacies of Jupiter's magnetosphere than he does about football, lured Keegan back with extravagant dreams. They slowly unraveled, revealing a bleak reality. Word is that the two players Newcastle bought yesterday were not the ones Keegan thought the club would pursue when he very reluctantly agreed to last week's sale of James Milner.

Even if Keegan did throw a wobbler during yesterday's board meeting - and there is no indication that he did - would such a reaction not have been justified? What would hurricane hairdryer Sir Alex Ferguson, who once threatened to quit Manchester United if club suits didn't sanction the purchase of Dwight Yorke, have done? What would Rafa Benítez, he of the public strops and regular pops at his employers, have done? Who would Brian Clough have punched? Even newbies like Roy Keane and Mark Hughes, what would they have done? Doesn't nearly every manager have a strategic diva inside them? Keegan may not always have deployed her judiciously, but on this occasion an outing would have been well in order. Hell, even the club's famously faithful fans have become exasperated, as proved by the 5,000 empty seats in their only home game of this season.

In addition to sniggers about his sensitivity, the other gibe chucked at Keegan when he took charge eight months ago was that, having been out of serious football for the previous three years (his soccer circus doesn't quite cut it, apparently), he couldn't possibly know how things have moved on; he would, mocked the mockers, be blissfully, idiotically unaware that his juvenile idealism was even less likely to succeed now than before.

The notion that he was the man to shore up Newcastle's notoriously feeble defence was openly ridiculed. And yet, shore it up he gradually did, even though arch-pragmatist Sam Allardyce couldn't. He also started to wring decent performances from Geremi, Nicky Butt and, of course, Michael Owen, none of whom he bought but all of whom improved under him. He started to grind out results; he exposed the patronising bilge. His record of six wins in 21 matches is nothing to boast about but those victories, and impressive draws such as this season's opener at Old Trafford, all came after a bad start. There were clear signs, then, that, unlike under Allardyce, Newcastle were getting better. But no, it turns out Ashley is making them worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Paul Doyle from the Guardian has written something I wholeheartedly agree with:

In fairness, most of the criticism I've read on the BBC website is aimed very squarely at Ashley. If I was him, I wouldn't be popping into the local for a quick pint before heading home to the wife any time soon.

SSN: Official statement from the club; KEEGAN STAYS!!!!

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

have you a link for streaming ? I lost my last one. This is great news for the club and fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It says he was not sacked, but from I thought he was never sacked but Keegan decided to walk.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see the people arguing how there club isnt a joke will re-act now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thank gawd I didn't bet on him leaving then! (phew :o )

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7593683.stm

KEEGAN GOES!

Sarge wrote: »
    have you a link for streaming ? I lost my last one. This is great news for the club and fans.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1383045,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what the **** is happing to newcastle

mg feel very sorry for the fans

ashley is a joke of a owner

im happy king kev is staying

m@cc@ wrote: »

Never so happy to say, FAIL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Keegan is staying someone must be going.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

What a mess.

Why so long to release this statement?

If he's staying, happy days, the rollercoaster that is NUFC continues. :)

mike65 wrote: »
    If Keegan is staying someone must be going.

Mike

Hopefully. I think when Kev was in those meetings, he was outnumbered, but the backash of the last few hours has told Ashley otherwise, and hopefully he'll tell Dennis to jog the fuck on now!

Want to hear from Wor Kev though before I have a celebratory ****.

• Advertisement

What a joke. By the looks of things the ONLY thing Ashley actually can organise is a p1ss up in a brewery.

beefy__mike_ashley.jpg

An embarassment tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'd be surprised if he makes it to Christmas. The Barton affair will be the last straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hopefully. I think when Kev was in those meetings, he was outnumbered, but the backash of the last few hours has told Ashley otherwise, and hopefully he'll tell Dennis to jog the fuck on now!

Want to hear from Wor Kev though before I have a celebratory ****.

What to? Keegan's picture?:pac::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Good news for Newcastle, wonder how bad the fans will greet Ashley, Wise, Board et all now and who's head will fall in an attempt to appease them?

I'm just hoping that if he is staying, that this whole affair has been the wakeup call Ashley has needed, and that he realises how unhappy the fans are with the role of Wise and co. in the club.

If ever there was a time for Ashley to find some stones and speak to the fans, this is the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's staying now?! I'm confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You're not the only one. There is something seriously wrong at that club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Can someone post the full statement? When I click to see the next page of the article it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea what's the story? I've just heard about it. Newcastle United trying to clear things up, they say he's not been sacked but they don't confirm whether he's still with them or not? wtf?

• Advertisement

homah_7ft wrote: »
    Can someone post the full statement? When I click to see the next page of the article it doesn't work.
    NEWCASTLE United can confirm that meetings between members of the Board and manager Kevin Keegan were held both yesterday and today.

Kevin has raised a number of issues and those have been discussed with him.

The Club wants to keep progressing with its long-term strategy and would like to stress that Kevin is extremely important, both now and in the future.

Newcastle United values the effort and commitment shown by Kevin since his return to St. James' Park and wants him to continue to play an instrumental role as manager of the Club.

For the avoidance of doubt the Club has not sacked Kevin Keegan as manager

I am hoping the part in bold is a precursor to Dennis Wise getting thrown out, if what is rumoured to have gone is in fact true.

Advertisement