Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keegan to walk (watch this space)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is a clear reason behind this, and its not a normal one either, so what you thought is pretty irrelevant as there are very few managers that would put up with this.

Would Ferguson, Wenger or Benitez accept being treated like this? You can bet your bottom dollar they would not.
    wise didnt get the job last week like, hes been there pretty much since keegan was, it was always going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Helix wrote: »
    wise didnt get the job last week like, hes been there pretty much since keegan was, it was always going to happen
    Please if you are going to quote make a sensible statement. What you are now saying is that you could foresee that the fact that Wise was there was going to end up in KK leaving the club over trasfer issues. Get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Poyet is the favourite to take over apparently. Wise in shock decison to try and get a yes man appointed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Newcastle fan gettin' interviewed on SSN there, an ambulance flies by with sirens blaring, she turns and says that's for Mike Ashley. Brilliant stuff!!!

Brilliant :D I do like the Geordies.

Please if you are going to quote make a sensible statement. What you are now saying is that you could foresee that the fact that Wise was there was going to end up in KK leaving the club over trasfer issues. Get real.

why could you not? when a club brings someone in to buy and sell players and the manager isnt too keen on the idea, theres generally only one result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

The thing is newcastle will be looking for a manager that has passion for newcastle or whatever but no english manager that has experience is going to want to manage or should I say coach the team. They will want their say on transfers etc so I can only see a european man taking the job much like west ham

why could you not? when a club brings someone in to buy and sell players and the manager isnt too keen on the idea, theres generally only one result
    I don't think anybody thought that when it came down to it, that either
    1. KK would have no input whatsoever into player sales/purchases
    or
    2. KK would not be supported if it came to a situation like this.

mustve just been me so, in january on this very board i posted that i reckoned hed be the next manager to lose their job/quit

i think that was the day he got the job. wasnt too far off all the same, was it 3 that went before him in the end? tho i did pad that out to say i reckoned itd probably be may before he left

keegan was brought back as a figurehead, a statement if you will, more than anything else. the backroom staff brought in with him showed that the board had very little, if any, support for the blokes actual management skills. when youre hiring someone on that basis, its never going to end well for anyone

personally i think keegan should never have been given the job in the first place, he was out of the game too long, and hed shown previously that hes just not up to what was being (perhaps unfairly) expected of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Seriously though :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I have never been this upset!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

personally i think keegan should never have been given the job in the first place, he was out of the game too long, and hed shown previously that hes just not up to what was being (perhaps unfairly) expected of him

Let's just say I wholly disagree. I and every other fan would have him back in a heartbeat. Himself and Sir Bobby are the only figures of authority to treat the fans with the honesty and respect we deserved. They understood what it was to be manager of Newcastle United, to be a figurehead for a whole city. Sadly, these men have been shafted by Fat money grabbing **** who seem to be a million miles away from where the fans are.

The guy on ssn now giving ashley a right going. Hope ashley is watching!

Let's just say I wholly disagree. I and every other fan would have him back in a heartbeat. Himself and Sir Bobby are the only figures of authority to treat the fans with the honesty and respect we deserved. They understood what it was to be manager of Newcastle United, to be a figurehead for a whole city. Sadly, these men have been shafted by Fat money grabbing **** who seem to be a million miles away from where the fans are.

i dont know, i think its just newcastle fans who seem to think keegan offers something in terms of quality management

this thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055218356 is from the day he got the job. pretty much every non newcastle fan who posted in it predicted hed be gone by the turn of the year, which is the main reason i cant quite get my head round why people think its a shock that hes gone now

i dont know, i think its just newcastle fans who seem to think keegan offers something in terms of quality management

He goes out to win as exemplified against United. Can anyone honestly argue that we were not looking a better, stronger, and much more organized side under Keegan than when Allardyce was at the helm.

The shock is the absolute foolis of Mike Ashley backing Dennis Wise, when it is clear that Keegan is the man the fans desperately want to say. From a financial point of view, Ashley has just kissed goodbye to a ton of merchandise money and ticket sales. If the club was to be bought now, I honestly think Ashley would have to sell at a loss for the mess he has created.

this thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055218356 is from the day he got the job. pretty much every non newcastle fan who posted in it predicted hed be gone by the turn of the year, which is the main reason i cant quite get my head round why people think its a shock that hes gone now
    I read all your posts in that thread.

Summary

You really dislike Newcastle for some reason. You don't like or have any respect for KK.
    You stated in one sentence that he would be gone by Christmas
    You then stated that he would be gone in May if they got sucked into the bottom three, where you also stated that Benitez would be gone in May.

So basically we should just ignore your posts in this thread as you are anti-Newcastle United FC and KK and you also don't have a clue based on your post regarding Benitez.

Edit to add that I'd be pretty certain that if we could check all your posts we might see you predicting the demise of almost every manager in the league.

maybe he will end up selling it at the loss tho

keegan in for a 3rd, equally short lived spell?

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ridiculous, but hardly surprising. Between this and Curbishley, you'd have to wonder if managers that have any control over team affairs are a dying breed. Ashley always seemed to crave fan appreciation, sitting amongst them at games etc, but he really has just put a bullseye on himself. The next game at St. James' Park should be interesting.

Newcastle United Football Club is sad and disappointed that Kevin Keegan has resigned.
    Over the last few days the Club has devoted itself to the discussions it has held with Kevin and as a result of those discussions had put together a set of practical suggestions for how to move forward.
    Today the Club made it clear to Kevin that if he had any outstanding concerns on its proposals, he should raise them with the Club.
    The Club regrets that Kevin has, instead of taking up that offer, chosen to resign.

Club making it out it was his fault! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Surely 'Special K' knew what he was getting in to though when he took the job? He should have done this earlier as it was quite clear it was going on from day 1.

Boycott the stadium, bombard the website with complaints, stage protests and Ashley will be forced to sell - he's a business man.

Unlike Man City, if Newcastle were backed by blank cheques, they'd be dangerous.

You really dislike Newcastle for some reason. You don't like or have any respect for KK.

i quite like newcastle actually. youre right tho, i have no respect for keggy in this day and age. hes a relic of the past in terms of management.
    You stated in one sentence that he would be gone by Christmas
    You then stated that he would be gone in May if they got sucked into the bottom three, where you also stated that Benitez would be gone in May.

yeh, i said hed be gone by christmas, but gone by may if sucked toward the bottom third. they werent sucked into the bottom third, and hes gone by christmas
    So basically we should just ignore your posts in this thread as you are anti-Newcastle United FC and KK and you also don't have a clue based on your post regarding Benitez.

im not anti newcastle, im anti delusional fans, which is exactly what a percentage of the toon army seem to be when it comes to keegan. its something i cant get my head around at all. as i say, i rather like newcastle. the only thing thats kept benitez in the job at the scouse is the boardroom thing. if it werent for the yanks he'd be well gone for failing time and time again to deliver in the league
    Edit to add that I'd be pretty certain that if we could check all your posts we might see you predicting the demise of almost every manager in the league.

you go ahead and do that. fairly sure ive commented on the demise of very few of them, but i cant wait to see your findings :)

The club statement read out on SSN is pathetic.
    Newcastle United Football Club is sad and disappointed that Kevin Keegan has resigned.

Over the last few days the Club has devoted itself to the discussions it has held with Kevin and as a result of those discussions had put together a set of practical suggestions for how to move forward.

Today the Club made it clear to Kevin that if he had any outstanding concerns on its proposals, he should raise them with the Club.

The Club regrets that Kevin has, instead of taking up that offer, chosen to resign.

You're fooling no one.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote: »
    Surely 'Special K' knew what he was getting in to though when he took the job? He should have done this earlier as it was quite clear it was going on from day 1.

Why? Dennis Wise or any of the other directors had not been appointed at that stage. Ashley is a billionaire, and he promised Kev that he wanted to get the club back into the top 4, and would spend reflecting these ambitions. What part of that package is unattractive?

The reason why I feel Kev has't done this earlier is because the problems the structure of Wise + co. present has only really manifested itself during the summer, with the tipping point being deadline day and the days proceeding it(Milner's sale). I also feel that Kev wanted to give it his all, as he felt he owed it to the fas and players t do so, but ultimately, he was pushed too far by that bunch of traitorous **** of the last 72 hrs.

Its obvious they spent 3 days doing legal stuff so that if KK resigned he would be paid out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Just wanted to echo the comments made my Charlie earlier.

We were finally making progress under Keegan. We have had a decent start to the season and the club was pretty stable for once. We signed some good players such as Guitterez, Collocini and Guthrie. Under reigns of Allardyce and co. the players didnt have any heart and soul among them.
    Under Keegan all the players put 100% into their performances and he is a man who will give confidence to anyone and will never be afraid against any team that we are up against.

Im absolutely gutted to see Keegan leave, i believe he was the right man for the job but unfortunately he had no choice but to leave.

The board are in some serious shít now, i cant see Ashley wanting to continue with this club, i presume he will want to sell up soon .

Im clinging onto the hope that we will get some new owners in who will allow the manager to make all the decisions.

*Sigh* Just when i thought we wouldnt have any rollercoaster moments this season...

Once again we are the laughing stock of the league and im afraid whats going to happen to the club over the coming week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I always liked Keegan, pretty honest enough dude and passionate about football & especially Newcastle.
    As we all know the fans love him, and the only man that could make this any way little bit acceptable for them would probably be Shearer to come in.
    But if Shearer does come in, the problems are still there in the background.

What is the attraction now for a new manager to come in with the way the fans 'King Kev' has been treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

you wouldnt put it past them to hire shearer......try to get back on the fans side. but it looks like wise will get the job......why else was he brought to the club in the first place!

you wouldnt put it past them to hire shearer......try to get back on the fans side. but it looks like wise will get the job......why else was he brought to the club in the first place!

If either of those things happen I will be displeased.
    We need a new owner, who is willing to invest massive money, and we need a manager like Keegan. :(

Do'h!

Over on the Chronicle forums, one poster I think summed it up perfectly for all us toon fans
    As ye sow, Mike Ashley, so shall ye reap

Prepare yourself, Mike Ashley, for a reaction - a whirlwind unlike anything you will have experienced in your "business" life. The fans, the lifeblood of the club, are not fools. They are not customers or punters to be bullied or patronised. Your regime is exposed. We deplore the shameless asset-stripping, the penny-pinching, the humiliation of a principled and passionate man and the charade of your public persona. It won't wash and, you know, it won't work either. You cannot survive in the Premiership without investment in players (transfer fees and wages) - it's a mad world but we didn't create it. Nor will any self-respecting manager surrender control and influence over player acquisition. It's never worked in England and it won't work here. Spare us also the lawyerly official statements, the propaganda designed to obscure and to mislead (although I suppose we should be grateful for any communication from the club, since you and your executive team are so camera shy). Good luck in your search for a puppet manager. I am sure someone will take your shilling, but tonight we are all the poorer for your involvement.

Epic.

i quite like newcastle actually. youre right tho, i have no respect for keggy in this day and age. hes a relic of the past in terms of management.
    What makes you say he is a relic of the past? He is younger than Ferguson, Wenger, Redknapp, O'Neill and Scolari. He didn't manage any team for 2 1/2 years, is that what you are talking about? If so what is the least time you can go without managing a club in your estimation.
    yeh, i said hed be gone by christmas, but gone by may if sucked toward the bottom third. they werent sucked into the bottom third, and hes gone by christmas
    Your first statement was that he would be gone by christmas, no explanation of why or how, and then you said may 'if' he ended up in the bottom three. If you remember correctly KK had a horrific start and ended up just three points off the relegation zone after going nine games without a win. So although they did not fall into the bottom three they came periloulsy close.
    im not anti newcastle, im anti delusional fans, which is exactly what a percentage of the toon army seem to be when it comes to keegan. its something i cant get my head around at all. as i say, i rather like newcastle. the only thing thats kept benitez in the job at the scouse is the boardroom thing. if it werent for the yanks he'd be well gone for failing time and time again to deliver in the league
    In the other thread, someone said that the Newcastle deserved to win something, pretty much saying that their long suffering fans deserved something, to which you replied 'no they don't', that was your full post. That does not sound like the comment of someone who likes a team in any way.
    you go ahead and do that. fairly sure ive commented on the demise of very few of them, but i cant wait to see your findings
    :)[/quote]
    I have no intention of trawling through all your posts, its just that in six posts you made you had two managers getting sacked in May, neither of them did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sad to see another manager not given what they deserve. Then again, what did Keegan expect considering what he did with Big Sam.

Once again, for many more years, Newcastle will remain a sleeping giant.

• Advertisement

What makes you say he is a relic of the past? He is younger than Ferguson, Wenger, Redknapp, O'Neill and Scolari. He didn't manage any team for 2 1/2 years, is that what you are talking about? If so what is the least time you can go without managing a club in your estimation.

hes a relic of the past in that his best days are behind him imo. cavalier football wont get you challenging for league any more
    Your first statement was that he would be gone by christmas, no explanation of why or how, and then you said may 'if' he ended up in the bottom three. If you remember correctly KK had a horrific start and ended up just three points off the relegation zone after going nine games without a win. So although they did not fall into the bottom three they came periloulsy close.

he is gone by christmas
    In the other thread, someone said that the Newcastle deserved to win something, pretty much saying that their long suffering fans deserved something, to which you replied 'no they don't', that was your full post. That does not sound like the comment of someone who likes a team in any way.

no team deserves to win anything based on anything other than footballing performance. none at all. man united, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool, villa, everton, not one of them
    I have no intention of trawling through all your posts, its just that in six posts you made you had two managers getting sacked in May, neither of them did.

as i said earlier, imo its only the yank thing that kept rafa in a job

PHB wrote: »
    Sad to see another manager not given what they deserve. Then again, what did Keegan expect considering what he did with Big Sam.

Once again, for many more years, Newcastle will remain a sleeping giant.

likable honest bloke, but i think the keegan days are long gone. coming back in after 2 1/2 years of not watching football according to himself, after a miserable spell at city, and being expected to perform miracles was ridiculous. newcastle can do far far better than a man living on legendary status in the north east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

This is quite sad news and it reinforces my view that fat guys who drink alcohol at football games should not be chairmen of clubs :cool:

likable honest bloke, but i think the keegan days are long gone. coming back in after 2 1/2 years of not watching football according to himself, after a miserable spell at city, and being expected to perform miracles was ridiculous. newcastle can do far far better than a man living on legendary status in the north east

If you're gonna rely on a quote, make sure you quote it accurately. Keegan did not attend a live game for 2 and half years, as in turn up to a ground and watch a match in the flesh. It bugs me that people constantly misquote this.

It's clear that we differ on KK's suitability to manage the toon, but perhaps show the man a bit of respect and stop having digs at him. After all, he has accomplished more in football that most of todays prima-donas could only dream of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

its a disgrace tbh, Mike Ashley pretending to be a Keegan supporter and publicly licking Keegans balls while all the while he was up to no good in private

nice idea trying to get the fans to believe he is a true newcastle fan and he loved and would always stand by kevin and all that, but it was never really gonna work was it, you could see by his actions what kind of guy he really is

if i were a newcastle fan i would be protesting and doing everything i possibly could to get him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wow, I really thought Newcastle were going in the right direction recently too. Ye can all say what ye like about Keegan - but football is too full of dishonest, cynical and money driven cretins these days for his departure from the game not to be a sad one. He'll be missed.

Newcastle fans - you deserve so much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Newcastle fans - you deserve so much better.

really? they have allowed themselves to have the piss taken out of them for years by owners/directors and never kicked up a fuss, always distracted by shiny objects as recklessone put it.

tbh, anyone who didnt see this coming needs their head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mr Alan wrote: »
    really? they have allowed themselves to have the piss taken out of them for years by owners/directors and never kicked up a fuss, always distracted by shiny objects as recklessone put it.

Yeah - and we are really sticking it to G & H huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »

They've also brought a lot more to the Premier League than many other sides over the years with their exciting brand of football and kamikaze defending. 4 top 3 finishes in 17 seasons ain't bad. And they've challenged for the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I couldnt give a ****e about their footballing merits, i'm talking about the fans. The ones who were ecstatic at Keegans return, despite it coming on the back of a manager being sacked undeservingly showing that Ashley was just like all the rest, despite Newcastle fans swearing otherwise how he was one of them

no sympathy from me tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is Keegan gone or what?

Walked or sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Des wrote: »
    Is Keegan gone or what?

Walked or sacked?

He walked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There's a little more to this than what we're being told.

I thought Keegan was in some financial difficulty when he took the job, his soccer camps weren't kicking off, and he had some specific details in his contract regarding severance of his deal...

If you're gonna rely on a quote, make sure you quote it accurately. Keegan did not attend a live game for 2 and half years, as in turn up to a ground and watch a match in the flesh. It bugs me that people constantly misquote this.

It's clear that we differ on KK's suitability to manage the toon, but perhaps show the man a bit of respect and stop having digs at him. After all, he has accomplished more in football that most of todays prima-donas could only dream of.

djimi traore accomplished more in football than 99% of footballers ever will, thats no mark of quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

TBH I know it makes a joke out of the club etc etc, but Keegan going can only be a good thing for Newcastle, I mean only a few months before they appointed him he said: ""I mean I haven't watched a game of football, I mean live, since my last game at Manchester City and I can't even remember what game that was now.""

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have always said Newcastle need to move on from Kevin Keegan. Unfortunately this won't be the case now either cause of the way he has left. Keegan is not a good enough manager for them.

They need to move past the memories of him, and then they'll need to move on past the memories of Shearer too - until they move on from both these people the fans will never be happy no matter who is brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Tauren wrote: »
    I have always said Newcastle need to move on from Kevin Keegan. Unfortunately this won't be the case now either cause of the way he has left. Keegan is not a good enough manager for them.

They need to move past the memories of him, and then they'll need to move on past the memories of Shearer too - until they move on from both these people the fans will never be happy no matter who is brought in.
    :rolleyes:
    Are you serious?

How many managers has Newcastle had recently? Newcastle are not part of the top four, it would be very ambitious to say they would break into the top for in the next 3yrs.

And to say they can do better than Keegan is very naive, he's been in there for 8months and the talent is not the best. I would have expected him to strengthen his sqad in the transfer market. Deals were made behind his back, how was he suppose to manage a club where he had no control?

Re: Mr. Alan, I agree with you to an extent, that as fans, we have sat by and allowed the higher ups ruin our club for too long. That has changed now, and I can guarantee you that people aren't sitting by at the moment. We have been pushed too far.

However, I think it is funny that you come in here throwing stones from your glass house, when H+G are fcuking around your club on similar levels. Oh sorry, I forgot about that jolly lads protest that was what, a walk from the pub to the ground?? The events at Newcastle should be a warning to all fans, that the money men have stepped too far, and that perhaps they should take appropriate action at their club before something goes belly up there.

To all those who have written Keegan off, and said he wasn't up to the job, I am in too high a state of emotions to respond to this right now, but suffice to say, I totally disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It may not be flawless, but I really do appreciate when it's the fans that own the club when you see situations like this happening more and more all over football due to a big fat cat owning a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

At this stage I'd be shocked if any manager agreed to take the Newcastle job. To say it's a poisoned chalice is an understatement.

And this thing of having a 'director of football' looking over the manager's shoulder is nonsense. Either the manager is in charge or he isn't, and Keegan clearly wasn't fully in charge the way a manger should be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement