Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - spilled candle wax

Options
  • 02-09-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I had one of those little scented candles burning and the wax had all liquified and I was swishing a newspaper over it to put it out when I accidently hit it and the ****ing wax went all over the carpet and also on to my trousers.

Any suggestions as to how to get the wax off the carpet? (and trousers)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Try this at your own risk - cos I've only heard about it, rather than actually tried it myself, but anyway

'They' say if you put some brown paper (thickish stuff like you'd get in a chip shop bag I'd imagine) over the wax and iron over it...the wax melts into the paper and comes off the other surface. Try it on your trousers (as long as they are ironable)....dunno about the carpet - depends what it's made of. Something very synthetic might melt with the iron...but you're probably more likely to melt the candle wax first and make sure to use a big enough sheet of paper.
    Don't chance newspaper as print will surely come off. Dunno about other types of paper...blotting/art paper might be good.

Hope this helps

PS - Make sure to take the trouser off first! LOL...sorry, I had to

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Calluna wrote: »
    Try this at your own risk - cos I've only heard about it, rather than actually tried it myself, but anyway

'They' say if you put some brown paper (thickish stuff like you'd get in a chip shop bag I'd imagine) over the wax and iron over it...the wax melts into the paper and comes off the other surface. Try it on your trousers (as long as they are ironable)....dunno about the carpet - depends what it's made of. Something very synthetic might melt with the iron...but you're probably more likely to melt the candle wax first and make sure to use a big enough sheet of paper.
    Don't chance newspaper as print will surely come off. Dunno about other types of paper...blotting/art paper might be good.

Hope this helps
    Thanks Calluna. I will try the brown paper first.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Calluna wrote: »
    PS - Make sure to take the trouser off first! LOL...sorry, I had to
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I think its the wax finish to Brown parcel paper that does the trick.
    Hot iron and lots of brown paper will do the trick. Try it from warm to very hot and don't leave the iron on it too long.

(Brown paper and warm iron will take small dents out of pine wood - doors etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can use paper towels, absorbency is the key to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How about a hair dryer and vacuum ?? Would it be hot enough to melt the wax?

Any luck?

Am also glad that others had heard about brown paper and it wasn't just my imagination....

Advertisement