Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County council disabled parking

Options
  • 02-09-2008 12:20pm

I think its the county council building. The one closest the cuba. Anyway, i would regularly walk through there on my way into town and there would always be cars parked in the disable parking spaces. Maybe five per cent of the time they would have parking discs. So that means that the majority of the cars parking there are doing so illegally. What i dont understand is youd think the county council building would be somewhere that this is clamped down on a lot. But apparently not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

This is something that really annoys me, not just the county council ones but ones around town..especially those people who park in them "just for 5minutes while I nip into Boots"..what, no person needing the carpark space is gonna need the space in those 5 minutes or something?

I think the council should be tougher on those who park without the blue tag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm not that suprised and I don't support clamping at all, just issue a fine, it's much more civilised and the car isn't then stuck in the parking spot when the owner could have moved it on so others could use it. And there are too many disabled parking spots about the place. I'm not defending people who park in them though, just stating an opinion on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭loca

hi there

Speaking of council matters??? can anybody tell me what is the process for getting speed ramps removed by the council? They seem to contravene the road traffic act in that they are less than 20 metres apart, they are not near street lights etc. They are those horrible yellow and black steel ones... they are ruining the suspension on my car. They are in my estate but are not on all roads... I have to go over 4 of them to get out from my house.

Are the management company just allowed to put them up without permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Hi Loca.
    Is your estate managed by Council or a Property Mgt Company?

I hate Speed Ramps but we are trying to get them installed in our Housing Estate through the Management Company in the interests of saftey for the kids. The cars are going too fast. Speed Limit Signs can be ignored but if you ignore a Speed Ramp you will wreck your car. The County Council have no duristiction in my estate but the Ramp and Position of it would have to pass some sort of standards for road users. I suggest you write to whoever manges your estate by registered post and ask. I know of one housing estate had one ramp removed after a few days of installation because it was too close to another one.

P.S. - If somebody parks illegally in a Disabled Spot they should have their balls but off - Its the lowest somebody can go in my opinion. Don't know the alternitive punishment is for a female.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think there should be more "disabled" parking spaces.

BUT - people without a disability-tag should only be able to park in them for five minutes. People with the tag can park for whatever the usual maximum time in the area.

And tag should be easier to get, and given to anyone with a mobility impairment lasting more than three days. As things stand, a person with broken leg or immediately post-surgery cannot get one, because they're not going to have it for more than six months. Ridiculous.

IMHO.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    I think there should be more "disabled" parking spaces.

BUT - people without a disability-tag should only be able to park in them for five minutes. People with the tag can park for whatever the usual maximum time in the area.

And tag should be easier to get, and given to anyone with a mobility impairment lasting more than three days. As things stand, a person with broken leg or immediately post-surgery cannot get one, because they're not going to have it for more than six months. Ridiculous.

IMHO.

Why should somebody be allowed to take it up for five minutes? Without a plate, you can't park there. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why should somebody be allowed to take it up for five minutes? Without a plate, you can't park there. Simple as.

Because it's really, really stupid that someone who wants to stop for two minutes has to spend 15 minutes driving around the block looking for somewhere to stop, while the four disabled parks in the street are empty. (I kid you not: there are four of these in my street, they are almost always empty.)

My point was two-fold:
    - designate MORE (rather than LESS) parks
    - make sure that turnover is very high, except for people who NEED to stay for longer.

That way if a person who holds a permit comes along, they will have to wait a maximum of five minutes for a park to come free.

Advertisement