Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten has ringworm

Options
  • 02-09-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I've just had my foster kitten up at the vets and he's riddled with ringworm. He's now on a week on week off treatment for the next 6 weeks. I've had him for 3 weeks but the sores only showed up on Sunday. Could he have been carrying it that long? He was a stray and had been in with other cats/kittens before he came to me.

I've thrown out all the toys and bedding and I've bleached the floors and disinfected all the other surfaces. Is there anything else i can do? I just feel so bad for him as he had a terrible start in life and just as things were looking up this happens.

I also have another foster kitten who is on cage rest following an operation. They had been kept seperate but did accidently meet one day when she got out of the cage and they played with each other for a little while. The vet said to just keep a good eye on her but I'm wondering how likely it would be that she might catch it from that? I am meticulous about handwashing after I've been near either of them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Did the vet tell you that you could probably pick it up too? It's certainly possible that she picked up the fungal infection herself (the other cat) but as the vet says just watch for any symptoms (you'll probably be able to see them sooner now that you're more familiar).

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Yeah she did mention that it was very contagious and I've been feeling very itchy since but hopefully its just paranoia. I actually hadn't handled the kitten that much as he was quite aggressive and wouldn't let me go near him. Its only in the last week that he's turned a corner and is becoming a model kitten which is why this has upset me. Here's a pic of the poor unfortunate:)

2822330994_1ff461c7d7.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Firstly don't panic too much. Ring worm is not serious & will clear up nicely with the medication. If you do happen to catch it (like I did once from a foster kitty) a tube of daktarin will clear it up quickly (you're looking for a red roundish itchy patch if you do get it) ask your vet for trigene for cleaning bedding / surfaces- bleach doesn't kill ring worm. I've had 6 fosters at this stage with ring worm, none of my own animals caught it & if you're careful you won't catch it (I only caught it as I was sick & my immune system wasn't too strong as a result).

Advertisement