Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Tax Imports Rip Off

Options
  • 02-09-2008 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Has anybody any experience on Importing a vehichle ? I purcashed last week a car imported from northern Ireland on 29/08 and registered it on this day . This is done in the tax office. However when you tax it for the first time you are charged to start of that month so tax payable from 01/08 so arrears already ! Even though tax office sign off the registration date... Also the VRT changes this year means that any car imported or otherwise registered in Ireland after 1st of July is based on CO2 emissons right?... Wrong they've now decided that it will only be on brand new cars even though the motor tax website still says any car registered ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since it's illegal to drive without tax and you tax'd at the end of August what do you expect them to do, give you a tax disk you can't use for 4 days?

BTW if you imported on the 29th you have till the next buisness day to register the vehicle with the VRO, with a little more research you could have waited till Monday and not have to pay back tax.

And the Tax on CO2 has been done to death on several threads on motors and other sections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

irishm wrote: »
    I purcashed last week a car imported from northern Ireland on 29/08 and registered it on this day . This is done in the tax office. However when you tax it for the first time you are charged to start of that month so tax payable from 01/08 so arrears already !

It's always been like this, I don't get the outrage :confused:
    I suppose it's to make the whole system easy to administer. You register in August so you pay for August!
    Sounds easier then calculating annual Tax/12 and then 31-29 = 2 days tax due for August so you need to work out the amount due.

It's simpler the way they have it. I'd be reading ranting threads about complex and confusing calculations by the tax office if they did it your way :rolleyes:
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Since it's illegal to drive without tax and you tax'd at the end of August what do you expect them to do, give you a tax disk you can't use for 4 days?

explains it much better than I did

Advertisement