Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I *really* wanted was my own thread.

Options
  • 29-08-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Opening this up to as many as possible -

thinking of moving to Galway - any suggestions on decent areas - sh!te areas etc?

Just so I can go lookin on MYHOME.IE

Preciate any advice....

Ritzy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ritz for d'Lack

Hey O,

What's the work situ like in Galway? I work in Finance... Thinking of moving down there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

Dont do it. One word.. Recession.

I love this city but the lack of job prospects at this time is killing me, i fear relocation, away from this lovely city is imminent for me :(

Seriously?? Is it that bad?? Bollix. Had me heart set on it.

Is it a case that if you have a job, you stay in it for fear of God kinda thing - like the south of italy??

Hey Funky,

Listen, there's always got to be a job somewhere - even manager of the local Juice bar or whatever???

Can you reccomend any Nice areas or Areas to stay away from??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Please don't post random crap in sticky threads (those at the top), whether or not you are 'Opening this up to as many as possible'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Do you have a job in Galway lined up? I wouldn't move without one these days.

No I don't. I've sent my CV to Baygroup, Careerwise and Richmond - anyone know if they are any good?

And also anyone know what Pook is talking about? He lost me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I quited my job 2-3 weeks ago, needed some break and change.. Now I'm bored in home so started looking for something new.

I must say that it's harder to find it than, let's say 2-3 years ago.. 5 days of intensive sending CVs and only 1 interview call..

In my opinion most of vacancies are prepared for chefs, managers and engineers at the moment. The worst situation is in hotel, tourism and office jobs sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

No I don't. I've sent my CV to Baygroup, Careerwise and Richmond - anyone know if they are any good?

You misused the 'Activities & Resources' sticky at the top of the Galway forum to ask a question, it is only there for providing information on Activities & Resources in Galway e.g. 'Horseriding at ABC horseriding ltd. phone 555-5555'

What you should have done was created a new thread to ask your question, pook has moved your original question out into it's own thread.

You posted the above posts into the middle of the Activities and Resources thread, which is a 'sticky' thread at the top so that it doesn't get buried under newer threads.
    Because it's supposed to be a thread containing Activities and Resources in Galway for the benefit of people using this board, so that the same questions don't keep getting asked again and again.
    You wandered in and started asking about unrelated stuff that's already been asked by dozens of people in previous threads.

As a rule when using internet forums in the future: use the search function.
    It's far quicker to search for an answer which might already be there than to post asking a question and await a reply.

Are you new to the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are no ****e areas in Galway, just less nice ones. Galway does not have Moyross or Finglas or any of those dangerous areas.

I suggest you find a job first, then find accommondation close to that. You can always move after a while if you want to be closer to the city etcetera.

Note that people are actually leaving because the work situation here is a bit grim, you'd be better off in a major city.

When you wonder about something in Galway to to google and enter, for instance
    Chinese takeaway Galway site:boards.ie
    It'll then search boards for you so you can see whether there are already existing threads on the topic.

Noted Folks... Fair enough

And no, I'm not new to the Internet - just to Boards. Hence Low Number of Posts - we all have to learn somewhere....

Great :)

Everyone wins

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saw this in someones sig
    http://www.jobsgalway.ie/

Nice one... Cheers. I'm checking it out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I've sent my CV to Baygroup, Careerwise and Richmond - anyone know if they are any good?

I don't know how things are these days, but, recently, the recruiting groups wouldn't look at a CV if it weren't sent as an application for a specific job.
    Once upon a time (fadó fadó), they used to keep your CV on file and try to match qualifications to the jobs they were commissioned to fill. In recent times, they just wouldn't bother. They'd tell you to apply when you see something online you think matches your qualifications/experience :rolleyes:
    However, things are now changing ... it might just change again :eek:

ValerieR

This is not good news - not one person has come back with positive feedback!!! It's really disappointing as I really wanted to move down there... How foolish is it to move from Arklow (commuting to Sandyford in Dublin for work, to Galway with very little hope (according to everyone on boards) of finding a job in finance, not mind say a well paid job!!! :confused:

Grrrr.... Is there anywhere outside The big Shmoke which has any decent job opportunites.,..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Well, Provident is looking for staff if that's interesting for you...

Take an evening course, improve your qualifications in your field, or consider a change of career to something else you could enjoy and make a living from.

Advertisement