Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tail docking.

Options
  • 02-09-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Since returning to UK I noticed several Rotties with whole tails. An owner told me it is no longer permitted in UK. Is this the same in Irish law?
    The dog simply does not look right with its tail.
    Regards, Chris.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The dog simply does not look right with its tail.

Hi Chris... this has been done quiet recently on the forum. I agree, the dogs look weird undocked, I think that's just my brain programmed.

The general consensus was that its cruel and unnecessary unless done to dogs who are likely to injure themselves while working. (retrievers and spaniels)

Here is the thread.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361836

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

lightening wrote: »
    Hi Chris... this has been done quiet recently on the forum. I agree, the dogs look weird undocked, I think that's just my brain programmed.

The general consensus was that its cruel and unnecessary unless done to dogs who are likely to injure themselves while working. (retrievers and spaniels)

Here is the thread.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361836
    and working terriers.
    but there's nothing in irish law thats says you cant dock. in england its possible to have working dogs docked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I wish the term 'docked' was replaced with 'cut off' - might make people think a bit more about what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Ok, I thought it was clear, any working dog that is likely to injure a tail, all breeds including crossbreeds.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

How silly, obviously a dog should be caused unnecessary pain/suffering and destroy one of it's main methods of communicating just so it will "look right".

• Advertisement
Advertisement