Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent advice needed on interface options on ebay??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

Go with the roland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭progsound

http://www.thomann.de/ie/mackie_onyx_satellite.htm

Cant beat those preamps in this price range im assuming you have firewire though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

get the mackie and a SIIG firewire card ( 50 euro dell )

reaper 50 euro

id say an sm57 or 58 would do as a mic .

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

Thanks for the tips folks...

Yeah the roland would be ideal price wise for me...is that something i could just plug in and play (i have mics etc) once i have something like reaper downloaded?

progsound wrote: »
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/mackie_onyx_satellite.htm

Cant beat those preamps in this price range im assuming you have firewire though.

That mackie was something i was looking at recently it looks fantastic and they do those bundle deals but at €155 it's a bit out of my range right now and no i've no firewire...is firewire essential for all interface options (ie would i need it if i got the roland or one of the other ebay options?

As i was saying i'm looking for the cheapest possible option for getting rough tracks recorded as soon as possible...i might also end up running around Europe and a bit further afield notebooking some of the ideas (on the cheapest laptop i can find) with different acts so any equipment i get will probably suffer a bit...i'll update to something proper (Mac, Pro Tools, decent mics and speakers etc hopefully courtesy of a CU loan ;-) in around 8 or 10 months...but for now i'm using a someone elses PC to get rough tracks down and off to people before i start travelling again in a month or so!

So basically if i picked up one of those ebay options, used a normal very old live mic and downlaoded reaper...i'll prob spend less than €100 but would i be able to get cracking on with things??

Well firewire is just another way of transferring data from your interface to your computer. It is better at doing it than usb but for your needs usb should be fine.

If your going to be on the move id recomend getting the line 6 toneport ux1 http://www.thomann.de/ie/line6_toneport_ux1.htm it has gearbox bundled into it which is a pretty good amp sim so you can just plug your guitar in and play and you can get lots of free IR plugins for free on the net if you are looking to mess around with impulses.

It also has an xlr input and pre amp built in so you can track your vocals.

For your needs and the quality and simplicity this unit provides it seems like a winner.

To be honest i wouldnt piss on the units you linked to im already bottom of the scale here with the line 6 €105 is not a lot of money when it come to audio gear. I dont mean that in an insulting way to anyone its just the way it is.

• Advertisement

Well what i'm thinking would be an option is this:

Get either:the Behringer, Roland or if i could stretch the budget line6 toneport

And use with a Dell Latitude C400 which seems to be available dirt cheap on ebay (current bid under €70) http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dell-Laptop-Small-Light-Thin-New-WIFI-Windows-XP-Office_W0QQitemZ400000445069QQihZ027QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(finding it hard to believe that i could really get a laptop for that price so i'll prob see if i can get more info on that one as i've never used ebay before)

Then get reason for €50

That would mean best case quality-cheap scenario would be:

Line6 - €106
    Reason - €50
    Dell Latitude C400 - around €100
    Total - €256

or less quality but even cheaper would be:

Behringer - €35
    Reason €50 or i think behringer might offer a free programme so €0
    Dell Latitude C400 - around €100 or skip new laptop just use this PC and see if its possible to use a very old (late 90s) hp laptop someone gave me - so €0

Total - Max - €185 or Min - €35

But would either of those options mean i could just plug in and go? (remembering quality of sound is not vital at all for this nor is long term use since i'll be updating within the year...what i need is cheapest, quickest to set up and easiest to use for a beginner and which i can overdub and layer tracks...mainly guitar and vocals on)

I don't mean to drag this one out guys but i'm just desperate to get some sort of basic set up together before the month is out and i doubt i'll be able to stretch beyond €100-€150...and the more i look at the websites to research with these things the more confused i get.

Thanks for the tips so far ;-)

My advise go with the toneport i still use mine all the time even though now i have a pretty extensive rig its great for what you want plug and play with pretty good demo quality.

Have a look at the units you linked to and tell me how your going to plug your guitar straight in and play? same goes for your Mic.

Money spent on that setup would be a total waste get the toneport at least you will keep it and its way better value for money than the other units which are a complete waste of money if you ask me. Save for an extra week or two it will be worth it hell starve your self whatever it takes to make music hastle free :D

progsound wrote: »
    Have a look at the units you linked to and tell me how your going to plug your guitar straight in and play? same goes for your Mic.

Really? I thought i'd be able to plug in and play with any of them...as i was saying i'm not really up on this stuff...so those ones i've linked don't allow me to just plug in and play?

I'm now down to 20 days until i'm on the road so i know i'm not gonna have enough to get the lineport by then (not if i plan to have a roof over my head and something to eat) but i've a couple of weeks work lined up in France so i'm thinking if the Lineport is really that good i'll just order it when i get paid after arriving...who knows might even find it cheaper over there??

Also does anyone know if there's anywhere in Dublin i can actually walk into and have a look at some interfaces in the flesh so to speak?

Anyway thanks for the advice folks...i've a s**tload of work to send over to people and really need to get something cheap, user friendly and portable and all the tips have made it a little easier...Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Watch out if you are intending to use a Firewire interface, some Dells come with a chipset that doesn't play so well with audio interfaces. If I remember correctly the Texas Instrument 1394 set is recommended by most manufacturers.

I used my brother's Dell for ages with no problems (it was one of their top of the range models at the time) while a friend of mine had awful difficulties with a newer model (different chip set).

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to say cheers for the tips!!!
    Started firing off some draft recordings (very rough stuff) to the people who were waiting using Audacity and my BR8 as a stand in interface so people are getting their rough drafts of tracks (just in time cause i'm away again in a few days) gonna try to update once i arrive in France see if i can set up a project or two between there and Berlin over the next few months.

Thanks again ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement