Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie thread / introduce yourself here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hi everyone! I'm an old time boardsie just returning after a hiatus of several years. In that time I became suddenly and passionately interested in tattoos, pretty much out of the blue. I've gone from zero to pretty heavily tattooed over the last year or two (the bug got me bad) and am loving the creative adventure :) I'm very interested in learning more about various artists around the country and seeing all your work too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I know i started a thread but i said i'd say hey want to get my 1st tattoo for my 30th in april , Living in limerick have cystic fibrosis so , as the guy i visited today said i have very skinny arms for tattoos, Not put off though

I know I posted here last year , But next friday is finally the day booked in for my 1st tattoo getting it done my right shoulder can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I know I posted here last year , But next friday is finally the day booked in for my 1st tattoo getting it done my right shoulder can't wait

Awesome, let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Hello,

Strongly thinking of getting a tattoo of Rory Gallagher on one of my arms.

What's generally a good arm to get it on or what's a good place on the body for it?.. Specifically a tattoo of a musician.

Tattoo noob here but I was recently in Scandinavia and many people have tattoos, so I thought I'd get something that means something to me as a well done tattoo can look great.

I also want to create a small tattoo but I'm no good at art, so if I brought an idea to a tattoo artist, would they design something for me?

Based in Dublin so would like a well known tattoo parlour or artist to "take care of me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Tattoo virgin here!

I'm looking to get something very similar to the attached done.

Undecided if I'll go for it around that size on my upper arm, or if I'll go for a version maybe half that size on the back of my shoulder.

Any estimates of approximate prices? Even a ballpark figures would be great?

I'm getting my ears repierced in Wildcat on Jervis St at the weekend so will enquire about prices then, any artist in particular that anyone might recommend there?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

• Advertisement

Oh and another question - I suffer from psoriasis ... it's not inflamed at the moment, but has anyone got experience with getting tattoos with psoriasis? My main concerns would be firstly that getting the tattoo would make the psoriasis flare up in the area, and secondly that - if my psoriasis gets bad again in the future - that it would damage the tattoo?

By the way I've decided to go with the upper arm rather than the back. I've been quoted around €400 from one shop, and am waiting to hear back from a couple of others. :)

Appreciate any advice!

So I'm going with Snakebite. :) The one on Abbey St. I went in there yesterday and everyone there was SO professional and lovely! I got a rim piercing (which I love!) and the guy who did it was so friendly and really took his time and gave me great advice about aftercare etc. The receptionist was so friendly and kind. I got a great chat with a guy about the tattoo - I didn't catch his name - but he really GOT it - he's going to do a sketch for me of a more detailed version with more vibrant background colours, he's going to e-mail it to me and he said we can go back and forth until I'm totally happy with it. I could just see by his face that he has something really amazing going on in his head, and I can't wait to see what he sends me. :) I'll make sure to post up a picture of the final result! :) So excited! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BarryAlfaro

Hello everyone,greetings to you all.I am planning to have a MJ tattoo on my arms,I love Michael Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

Hi everyone, my name is Daniel Danny to most people, I am a boards member a long time but never posted here before, I have a few tattoos from years back when I was young and stupid but recently I have started my new long time planed marvel leg piece

I got started last Wednesday in tallaght ink with Danny duggan who has made my mental image come to life can't wait to get my 2nd sitting done and so on I forgot how addictive this can be

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I'm Lisa, haven't gotten any ink YET but have 8 piercings all of which I love :D The only thing holding me back from starting tattooing now is the fact that I'm only 19 and may still be going through phases. I don't want to end up regretting anything!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 oliviablond

Hello! I`m Oli:) Nice to meet you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bikeboo

Hi
    I've called in and out of boards for a while. Just re registered. I've lots of tattoos but have some questions for you.
    Thanks.
    Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Hey, got my first tatt the other day in Colour Works in the city, well happy with it! Thought i might share it here for people to judge me :)

What are your thoughts?

I wanted the tatt to look as if i carved it in myself with a scalpel, i think the artist captured that look fairly well!

Be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Hey, got my first tatt the other day in Colour Works in the city, well happy with it! Thought i might share it here for people to judge me :)

What are your thoughts?

I wanted the tatt to look as if i carved it in myself with a scalpel, i think the artist captured that look fairly well!

Be honest!

Feck that's incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Feck that's incredible!

Thanks a million!

Anyone I show it to looks at me like I'm weird. Very funny altogether!

Hello. Long time tattoo lover and lurker of this forum.

I'm going to have to stop thinking so hard about the what and the where and just get it done :)

Good idea, particularly for your first one, is to print off the main contenders that you have in your head for your first one, and put them somewhere that you have to see them every day. That way you'll find out reasonably quickly just how much you like them, and if you're going to like having them permanently a part of you!

I had my first tattoo design for around 6 years before I worked up the courage to get it done! :o Itching for more, but it'll be a while before I can get another! :(

Star Lord wrote: »
    Good idea, particularly for your first one, is to print off the main contenders that you have in your head for your first one, and put them somewhere that you have to see them every day. That way you'll find out reasonably quickly just how much you like them, and if you're going to like having them permanently a part of you!

I had my first tattoo design for around 6 years before I worked up the courage to get it done! :o Itching for more, but it'll be a while before I can get another! :(

That's a really good idea Star Lord, thanks :)

I keep going back to the same idea, a quote which means a lot to me from a book I read years ago. Also I love words. Unfortunately I have a very low pain threshold. It will be a case of gritting my teeth and using mind over matter.

My pain thresholds are all over the place, some stuff I can endure, some I barely felt and some felt like torture. And the funny thing is, we're all really different, so what one of us smiles through, someone else finds really tough! My chest tattoo felt like being branded for hours (with the bits near the collar bone and shoulder joint being the worst bits) and the piece on my thigh I could have relaxed through as it was fine, other than the edge of the knee itself. Don't know how Raze got his knees done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Star Lord wrote: »
    My pain thresholds are all over the place, some stuff I can endure, some I barely felt and some felt like torture. And the funny thing is, we're all really different, so what one of us smiles through, someone else finds really tough! My chest tattoo felt like being branded for hours (with the bits near the collar bone and shoulder joint being the worst bits) and the piece on my thigh I could have relaxed through as it was fine, other than the edge of the knee itself. Don't know how Raze got his knees done!

IT was more painful on my ass than my knee sitting so long tbh!!

Back of the knee is super fun though!

• Advertisement

Oh jaysus and there was me thinking that some place upper body would be nice. Think I'll just get the top of my finger shaded in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Hey guys,

Posted this in After hours so I thought why not finally introduce myself to this forum.

As with persepoly I've been a long time lurker to this forum and need to just get something done versus overthinking it and changing my mind...

One style that's always remained constant in my interests is traditional style and blackwork although I'm recently loving the neotraditional styles particularly David Cote who I'm kicking myself I didn't know was coming to Dublin last November time. The two artists I'm considering for my first are either Ela Pour in Berlin or Marcin surowiec in Warsaw.

My favs here:

https://www.instagram.com/elapour/?hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/bobeus/?hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/surowiec/?hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/thedavidcote/?hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/davidarmacost/?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

Hey guys,

Posted this in After hours so I thought why not finally introduce myself to this forum.

As with persepoly I've been a long time lurker to this forum and need to just get something done versus overthinking it and changing my mind...

One style that's always remained constant in my interests is traditional style and blackwork although I'm recently loving the neotraditional styles particularly David Cote who I'm kicking myself I didn't know was coming to Dublin last November time. The two artists I'm considering for my first are either Ela Pour in Berlin or Marcin surowiec in Warsaw.

My favs here:

Oh some lovely designs there! Thanks for links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

Hello all :)

I'm ATC or 'caffy' as some people call me :) Not lnked (yet) but considering my first one. Live in South Tipp. Love books, listening to music, watching TV, writing and computers (thinking my love for writing as an idea for the tattoo). Nice to meet you all :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 davidthehelper

Hi everyone, I suppose i equally introduce myself since I have never formally introduced myself,and would like to meet any of you in person too...

To begin...I'm David, I'm 28
    I was always a bit of a 'Bad-ass' back in my school days, so piercings/ tattoos seemed pretty normal stuff to me!
    Had 5 piercings altogether in my time, but I'm only with one.
    Got my first tattoo in Sydney, Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eoinmg

Hi there,
    I'm a newbie to tattoos but getting on in life. I'm in Dublin looking to get a first and probably only tattoo of 2 long/4 short lines of poetry, more for me than anyone else to look at. Was thinking of maybe 4 lines on the one side of the upper chest (it'd be roughly square I guess). Was also more thinking of 2 longer lines along the inside left forearm.
    I know absolutely nothing about tattoos or the artists (like are some better at scripts and others better at art). I've done some research and Reinkarnated in Parlement St in Dublin seem like a great place but it's all art, they've almost no script tattoos as examples of their work. Does that matter?

Looking for advise on
    1. who/where to go
    2. opinions on where to put it (chest or forearm)
    3. I want it with fine lines, clearly defined without blotting etc. Do colours matter much in this regard
    4. any ideas on font? I'd like it to look like nice joint handwriting
    5. Lastly, it's sort of a mantra/reminder of how to live life. It really is just for me so was vaguely considering having it on my chest but mirrored backwards so I can read it in the mirror every time I'm there with my top off. Problem is it'd be illegible for everyone else. Is that just daft, like would I regret that one after a while?

Many thanks

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hi ,

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get my first tattoo. I've decided on the type of tattoo (going with a half geometric animal, half rendered) happy enough to have it drawn up after a discussion.
    I guess what I'm unsure of is what do I need to do, can I just walk in for a consultation with an artist and then get booked in for a later date at their availability if I like the design?

I live in the UK (Edinburgh) so its unlikely any recommendations can be given.

Regarding the design, I'm assuming not every artist will be comfortable with all types, would some venues turn you away if they felt they didn't have the skillset in house?

Cheers for any and all advice!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Regarding the design, I'm assuming not every artist will be comfortable with all types, would some venues turn you away if they felt they didn't have the skillset in house?

Best to do your research first, look up various studios in the area, and their artists. Get an idea of their skills, and try to figure out which artist would be best for your design. I doubt they'd turn you away, and would instead give it a go, which is why it's best to have this research under your belt first, so you know if the person is up to scratch for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's great thanks for that. Will get my head down over the weekend and suss it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

Newto this forum.
    Always loved tattoos, although only have 1. Altho hope to change that very soon.
    Iv only ever had my ear pierced!

Drawing/tattoo styles i like most are prob traditional, new/neo traditional, and pretty much anything b+g that relies on lots of line work rather than large shaded areas and fills.

Art i like Francis Bacon, Simon Bisley, a range of Graff artists and lots others. Printed b+w illustrations in old books.

Music - there's something excellent in every genre. Maybe except C+W.

Threads - bomber jackets, hoodys, 511s, Polo shirt and BOOTS. pref DocM's.

Enough info? 😆😆

Advertisement