Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just graduated, appalled by state of my college

• 02-09-2008 2:34pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im graduating from Athlone IT, with my degree in Mechatronics, whilst my brother is just getting into Games development.

I found the final two years of my course to be exhausting, as the engineering board seems to be ridiculed with problems, and was inflicted upon our class. I got over it, and pushed through anyways.

A letter came for my brother two days ago, which disgusted me in every way possible. He received information for the college initiation, which ALL was dated from 2007. Upon further investigation, the entire letter was last years one, all the dates completely wrong. And he wasnt the only one.

It boils my blood to see the disrespect that the college has, all they're worried about is finance, and not a students future. Has anyone else had problems with college board communications? I mean its ridiculous, theres another long winded story, but Im not getting into it.

apologies if this may be in the wrong section, I couldnt find anywhere else to put it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You'll find a lot of colleges are like that, not just the smaller IT's either.

For instance the only communication I ever really received from my 4 years in UCD was a bank giro so they could get their money.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

in troubles was the student union any help? i mean, something happened a few years ago with regards to timetables, and the student union refused to support us, even though there was at least 5 other courses having the same difficulty. the only communications we got in the end was through, threatening them with media coverage, it was that bad. we finally got to approach them, and even then, only half the issues were sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I never really had any major troubles like that. I did Arts so there was over 1000 other people to complain if something went wrong, I was never really that involved in college life.

My girlfriend is trying to register this morning for modules in her MA in UCD and it's just not letting her (supposed to be open by now, but still says not available). On the phone she was passed around to at least 5-6 different people who couldn't help her. Eventually somebody emailed the standard how to register pdf which is bullshít. It's most likely UCD just being late with registration dates (again, they made a total balls of it when I was in final year).

She ended up going in to UCD to try and sort it out, same thing happened. They eventually told her too many people were trying to access it so it wasn't working, which is rubbish because the site was loading perfectly, it just says module registration not available yet.

Plenty of things happened to me while I was there that made me think it was the worst run University in the country, but I've forgotten most of them by now. They've restructured the whole University with this modularisation/schools thing. A money making attempt.

Having said that, I spent a year in the University of Cologne in Germany. Think that was even worse. Any office you needed to go to was only open about 2-3 hours a week. So when you got there you'd be queueing forever to get in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

thats insane. i'd usually be put up on hold so long until i hung up on them

Advertisement