Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outside vrs inside

Options
  • 02-09-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi, we have just been "given" a beautiful male Bishon frise. He is really well behaved and great with my daughter. He is six and previously lived with an elderly couple. The person we got him from said he was very well taken care of and spend most of his day outside and slept indoors. That sounded great however now he will not go outside at all.

I thought he was fretting for his old owners but he is really calm just refuses to go outside. I will do some research of this breed later today but has anyone any tips? Are Bishon frise indoor dogs?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Many toy breeds must be kept indoors methinks Bichons are one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Hi THere liked what Guineapigrescue have said they are indoor dogs.

They are high maintenance in respect of grooming they do not shed their hair much and would have to get the hair trimmed 4 weeks.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bichonfrise.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Tbh, I don't consider any breed an "outside" dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

There is no such thing as an "indoor" dog, only what you train or allow them to be. Most dogs when they have been through something traumatic (like a big move) will hide as a defence mech. Give him time he will go outside again perhaps with some gental coxing.

Toy breed of dogs often make better outdoor dogs then some of the more rugid breeds, and better guard dogs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Our dog wants to go out when he's in and wants to go in when he's out!

He'll wait for hours at the Patio door to come in, only to rush to the back door once he's in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

We had a bichon and he used to whine until we let him out and then would stand outside shivering until we let him in.
    I wouldn't leave a Bichon out all day because I think they're house dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Bichon frise are lovely little dogs, very happy and entertaining usually! (they were bred to be performing circus dogs so that explains why they are such show offs lol)

you should have him as an indoor dog but make sure he goes outside about every 4 hours in case he needs to go to the bathroom (make sure your garden is secure) and he will probabably need at least 30 mins walk a day. (maybe more depending on if he is very energetic)

besides that, make sure you put him on a good quality diet and get him neutered & vaxed if not done so already.

Good luck with him and make sure to post some pics! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I don't like the idea of any dog being an outside dog. They should be part of the family and live in the house with the family. We live in Ireland. It would be crazy to have a dog outside each night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

aw, he is a little beauty! gorgeous little guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't consider any breed an "outside" dog.
    +1 on this. With dogs normally referred to as part of the family then I don't see why they should be confined to the outdoors during the day. Both of our dogs spend the majority of their time indoors.:)

Advertisement