Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clarkson - in "The Indo"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anan1 wrote: »
    Ah come on lads, some people love Clarkson, others think he's a plank. The journalist falls into the latter category. Live and let live, eh?

Sorry Anan1 - I cannot agree - this article imo has little to do with Clarkson at all and is simply unashamed bigotry against the British.
    I don't see where his dislike of Clarkson shows through other than his being British.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I don't see where his dislike of Clarkson shows through other than his being British.

I think it is pretty clear! He doesn't like top gear or the presenters. It is a rubbish article, but the viewpoint is reasonable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The article does make one good point. 75 euros for a 75 minute show, that's a bit strong!
    Whilt strong, people pay a lot more for concerts, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The ticket cost includes entry to an exhibition too, which the INDO hack fails to mention.

I've bought mine this morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

"We were more interested, however, in any concerns the three stars might have in bringing a quintessentially British programme before a solely Irish audience."

That journalist is a complete moron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What does that even mean? Somehow I don't think Clarkson et al are expecting to be chased out of town.

Mike.

He alos mentioned that "The BBC show -- ostentatiously about cars -- is screened in over 110 countries and claims to attract a global audience of up to 500 million viewers."
    Why does he think Ireland might be the only counrty in the 110 viewing countries to be hostile? The idiot probably has never watched it before.

Why the need to use the word ostentatiously? Would he describe Wildlife on One as being ostentatiously about wildlife?

Its on RTE right now, John Kenny (sports fella) is talking to the lads.

www.rte.ie/radio1

Too late its over, the tank was mentioned (obviously), Clarkson said that was really intended for the German market.

Mike

CHeers Mike.
    There is also a decent article in the IT - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0903/1220372012566.html

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

The ticket cost includes entry to an exhibition too, which the INDO hack fails to mention.

I've bought mine this morning! :D
    how much did you get the tickets for? the cheapest i could find were €100 each! bit harsh but would love to go

• Advertisement

There are also tickets for €75 apparently
    Ticket Hotline: 0818 300 275

kbannon wrote: »
    There are also tickets for €75 apparently
    Ticket Hotline: 0818 300 275
    cheers, will try get them now - hopefully it will be worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't see what all the fuzz is about. It'd be cool to go but 75 is a bit much for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0903/1220372012566.html

Different paper, same soundbites, much better tone to article.

18 year waiting list to get on the show???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

kbannon wrote: »
    He alos mentioned that "The BBC show -- ostentatiously about cars -- is screened in over 110 countries and claims to attract a global audience of up to 500 million viewers."
    Why does he think Ireland might be the only counrty in the 110 viewing countries to be hostile? The idiot probably has never watched it before.

Why the need to use the word ostentatiously? Would he describe Wildlife on One as being ostentatiously about wildlife?

Surely he means 'ostensibly' too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

eth0_ wrote: »
    "We were more interested, however, in any concerns the three stars might have in bringing a quintessentially British programme before a solely Irish audience."

That journalist is a complete moron.

Maybe if there was a decent "quintessentially" Irish programme on offer we might be more interested. There isn't one in the RTE camp anyway.

how much did you get the tickets for? the cheapest i could find were €100 each! bit harsh but would love to go
    I took the €100 ones. They include a €50 voucher* for BT menswear, so that'll be of some use. I'm a man and I wear clothes.

*terms and conditions apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

mike65 wrote: »
    Too late its over, the tank was mentioned (obviously), Clarkson said that was really intended for the German market.

Mike

Oh that is ok then. I do the odd time watch top gear (if nothing else on) and at times it is funny but they are complete dip sticks, possibly why they are liked by people, people like dipsticks. It seems to me that the lads of TG have the chips on the shoulder as they cant seem to contextualise anything without dragging down some other nationality. Sometimes it is funny other times they look like g*bsh1tes. I would never pay money to see this 'show'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I took the €100 ones. They include a €50 voucher* for BT menswear, so that'll be of some use. I'm a man and I wear clothes.

*terms and conditions apply

Where did you both the tickets already? I thought that they are going on sale on 10 th of September.

I also got these tickets- however i didnt know at the time that the voucher was only to be used in the menswear section. my 2nd ticket is for my GF and the only way i could get her to come along with was to tell her she could have a €100 voucher for brown thomas. but she doesnt know she will be shopping in the mens department! ha

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote: »
    but they are complete dip sticks, possibly why they are liked by people, people like dipsticks.

I'm a dipstick so. why do you dislike them so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Can you buy the €75 tickets now? The website says that they are not on sale until the 10th Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

mike65 wrote:

Mike

That's one thing I can't stand about Clarkson. How long ago was the war? Was he even born then?
    And the comparisons between the (pretty pathetic) English car producing market and the German one.
    The guys are almost embarassed when they have fun driving a Porsche or BMW.

Without dragging this too far off tangent, TG have never shirked from damning native british manufacturing - cue Brummy accented excuse about the build quality of any number of Rovers etc.

Mike

bobo78 wrote:
    Where did you both the tickets already?

www.rds.ie and you can follow the links for Top Gear and then for tickets. As far as I can see, only the €100 tickets are available at the moment.

M

Advertisement