Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Eircom - Cheapest Fixed Line BB?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 3:52pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've had Eircom broadband for the last year or so and I have to say its been pretty much bullet proof as I sit on the exchange.

I have now decided to go with a cheaper option as I use the line for zero calls therefore just want the cheapest package I can get per month, currently looking like BT at €46 pm.

I'm just wondering 1. if there are any cheaper options and 2. I know my exchange has filled its quota of DSL customers until a new exchange is built, is there any chance I could sign up to BT and Eircom will deny them the DSL on the changeover?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Do you have cable TV? UPC products are cheap and very fast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Nah, I'd be there in a shot if i did tho'.

delly wrote: »
    Nah, I'd be there in a shot if i did tho'.

BT are an awful company to deal with. I know UPC are no picnic but BT tend to mess up billing, customer care, orders and everything they possibly can. Is Digiweb metro or Smart an option?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Smart aren't in my area (Drogheda), and Digiwebs basic fixed line option is 1mb for the same price of BT's 3mb. I have heard of BT being a bit crap for billing etc.

Smart aren't in my area (Drogheda), and Digiwebs basic fixed line option is 1mb for the same price of BT's 3mb. I have heard of BT being a bit crap for billing etc.

Can you get Metro from Digiweb? It's wireless but IMO is the best of the wireless offerings.

• Advertisement

I can, but the wife wouldn't be too happy about having to get in wired in etc. I like the quiet life ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Ok, I've had Eircom broadband for the last year or so and I have to say its been pretty much bullet proof as I sit on the exchange.

I have now decided to go with a cheaper option as I use the line for zero calls therefore just want the cheapest package I can get per month, currently looking like BT at €46 pm.

I'm just wondering 1. if there are any cheaper options and 2. I know my exchange has filled its quota of DSL customers until a new exchange is built, is there any chance I could sign up to BT and Eircom will deny them the DSL on the changeover?

If you are 100% sure that the exchange is full then whats stopping Eircom from giving the port to one of its customers once you cancel who may be waiting for a connection before BT (or another bitstream provider) can place an order for a connection?

lynchie wrote: »
    If you are 100% sure that the exchange is full then whats stopping Eircom from giving the port to one of its customers once you cancel who may be waiting for a connection before BT (or another bitstream provider) can place an order for a connection?

Well thats what I was hinting at in the first post. I'm wondering if its ever happened whereby somebody who had BB with Eircom, couldn't get it after a move to a new provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I can only speak from my own experience but I would stay clear of BT. I am considering switching back to Eircom because BT's customer support is that bad and generally dealing with them is a nightmare (even more so than Eircom).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

www.callcosts.ie

Might be a good starting point. Have your eircom bill to hand.

• Advertisement

hmm, that seems to be the BT view all right. What type of problems did you have that you needed to talk to them. Since I've had Eircom I haven't had to speak to anybody and was kinda hoping it would be the same with whoever I switched to.

crawler wrote: »
    www.callcosts.ie

Might be a good starting point. Have your eircom bill to hand.

The only provider thats slightly cheaper is UTV, but thats for crappy 1 meg. tbh BT would be the best option costwise, but if there so crap to deal with, then i'll have to take that into consideration.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

am in the same boat, just got rid of my land line, as i never used it but had been with UTV Talk, this wireless business seems quiet expensive.

has anyone ever dealt with NTL BB, i am thinking about getting them

Advertisement