Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any point doing MCAD?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,
    I am looking at getting some Microsoft certification. I have 4 - 5 years .Net experience in both Web and application development... and in both .Net 1 and 2.
    I started with the aim of getting an MCAD certificate and then moving to MCSD but I am getting a little confused so I have a few questions

1. Is it still worth getting MCAD (3 exams) if they are retiring next year or is it better to get MCTS in .Net 2.0 or 3.5
    2. If I get MCTS can this then lead onto MCSD status?

thanks for your help
    niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Hi Niall,

Will try to answer your questions.

1. Is the MCAD is valid. Yup still valid.
    2. Can an MCTS be used towards your MCSD.. nope unfortunately not.

Firstly.. which tech are you working the most in. Because that will probably influence where you should go.

If you are intending in picking up some certifications to have them and help build on your experience then you can do a couple of exams and maximise the number of certs from them.

MS have recently announced they have reduced the cost of the exams that will be retiring in March 2009 and also the upgrades for MCDBA and MCAD/MCSD. Its an automatic reduction of 40% which is applied automatically.

So based on that you can do the MCAD/MCSD and get them and then do the upgrade and get the MCPD which covers you for both 1.1 and 2.0 Frameworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 niall.k.shanaha

Thanks Ginger..

I work primarily with ASP .Net but was interested in the MCAD as it is quite well known so would assist in the job market... but I have spent the last 2 days looking at this and have decided to go down the MCTS route .. so the exams I will be taking will be 70.536 and then either 70.562 (.Net 3.5) or 70.528 ( .Net 2.0)... after that the route will be towards MCPD but that is another bridge to cross...

all the best
    Niall

Advertisement