Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to feed a dog real meat as a reward when training?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

If so what type?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Yes, but it's going to be expensive. Any type, once it's cooked. Does your dog not like treats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I use tiny bits of chicken, sliced ham or cheese, basically anything that they really really like, and that works out cheaper than shop bought treats which they're not all that fond of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

He does but not all the time. sometimes he wonnt want tthe treats and im starting to thing he might not like them.The reason im asking this is because i just bought a clicker for dog training and im wondering whether i should use real meat or dog treats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

A pack of dunnes hotdogs...sliced into small bits, they work great i find.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Discostuy wrote: »
    A pack of dunnes hotdogs...sliced into small bits, they work great i find.

That can't be good for them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Try bits of cooked, dried liver.
    If you want to use treats, try coachies. The stink though, they're full of blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cook liver in the oven with some garlic - cook very slowly till it is fully dried out - then cut into 1 cent sized pieces - low fat & very good for the dog as well as being tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Ham, cheese, hotdogs, chicken, liver, etc

Needs to be something tasty & more rewarding than their normal food. Depends a lot on the dog & how motivated they are by food. I tend to use a mixture of different treats when training my dog, including coachies & his usual dry food, plus some of the above. Then dog doesn't know what to expect & will work for every treat because it might be their favourite ...

Also, don't forget to include the treats in their daily food allowance - otherwise you may end up with a very well trained but overweight dog ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How old is the dog which is being trained?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'd just echo what seems to be the common consensus here and say any kind of meat once well cooked can be given to a dog. Never give your dog raw pork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

beth-lou wrote: »
    That can't be good for them though.

Only as rare treats...everything in moderation....i dont think there's anything in them that could be harmful? i hope not anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Never give your dog raw pork.

I concur.

Advertisement