Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV - Upgrades not applied yet?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

I just came off the phone with a UTV rep who told me none of UTV's users have been upgraded to the new speeds yet. But I remember seeing a user in the main thread saying they were on the new speed on UTV in Ballinasloe. I am confused... can anyone confirm or deny? Is the rep misinformed or is the user?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The rep is wrong. The upgrades are nothing to do with UTV - they're Eircom upgrades. When Eircom upgrade 2Mb connections to 3Mb then everyone gets it no matter what reseller they're with. Not all exchanges have been upgrade yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

That's what I thought. But he didn't wait for me to tell him my number or exchange name, he just bluntly said no UTV users had been upgraded yet. Hence why I'd like to hear from someone on UTV who is upgraded already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Im UTV and I got upgraded to 7.6mb a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I'm with UTV in the Lifford area, which was supposed to have been upgraded on the 9th August - no sign of any upgrade here.
    If you ring UTV, they say it's all up to Eircom and they 'know nothing', in their best Manuel/Faulty Towers voice. If you try to contact Eircom, they say that as you are not their customer, you must contact UTV! Stalemate :(
    Anyone out there in the Lifford area (any ISP) that can say if the upgrade has happened for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I dunno about whether they have upgraded everyone but I am pretty sure that UTV are screwing me!

A few months ago I switched from 2MB to 3MB in anticipation of the upgrade 7.6meg. I didn't reallly see any increase in speeds but I put that down to it being quite a small jump from 2 to 3 meg. Fast forward to the day when everyone was upgraded and suddenly I am getting faster downloads of about 300kb/s instead of the the usual 200kb/s that I was getting before.

So that seems to suggest to me that they never actually switched me from 2meg to 3meg and it was the eircom upgrade that bumped me up to 3meg.

So I rang UTV and they said that I was indeed upgraded to 3meg by them a few months ago and that because of thee Eircomk exchange I should be on 7.6meg now.

Obviously I am not. I am less than 1km from the Exchange and my line should be fine. They logged a call with Eircom and they said got an engineer to check the line but it came back all clear.

They just won't accept the possibility that they never upgraded me. Tbh I am getting really sick of UTV and I will probably change ISP soon.

And to make it even better, for the past couple of days my speeds have been right down like this:

317329449.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

im on utv also, been upgraded( mullingar exchange ), but can only manage 4mb, still good enough for me as it didnt cause my pings to go totally crazy
    woooo232 wrote: »
    I dunno about whether they have upgraded everyone but I am pretty sure that UTV are screwing me!

A few months ago I switched from 2MB to 3MB in anticipation of the upgrade 7.6meg. I didn't reallly see any increase in speeds but I put that down to it being quite a small jump from 2 to 3 meg. Fast forward to the day when everyone was upgraded and suddenly I am getting faster downloads of about 300kb/s instead of the the usual 200kb/s that I was getting before.

So that seems to suggest to me that they never actually switched me from 2meg to 3meg and it was the eircom upgrade that bumped me up to 3meg.

So I rang UTV and they said that I was indeed upgraded to 3meg by them a few months ago and that because of thee Eircomk exchange I should be on 7.6meg now.

Obviously I am not. I am less than 1km from the Exchange and my line should be fine. They logged a call with Eircom and they said got an engineer to check the line but it came back all clear.

They just won't accept the possibility that they never upgraded me. Tbh I am getting really sick of UTV and I will probably change ISP soon.

And to make it even better, for the past couple of days my speeds have been right down like this:
    whats your line stats? ( attenuation and SNR upstream/downstream )

317329449.png

I'm VERY far from an expert, but reading these threads has led me to believe that you can check your line rate from inside your router configuration. That's how I know(think I know) my line rate is still stuck at the 2Mb I am signed up for (says 2048).
    Also, I think it has been said here that you have to reboot (?) your router to get any new speed upgrade to register. Please forgive any incorrect jargon - I'm learning by reading the replies here :o
    As to the speed lately - SNAP - mine is every bit as bad as yours! I doubt if it's much better with any other ISP, though I too will change if I'm wrong in my thinking.

Gave Eircom a call and they said my exchange is definitely upgraded and the speeds are available to all BB users. So why is UTV yanking my chain?

lmimmfn wrote: »
    whats your line stats? ( attenuation and SNR upstream/downstream )

Not sure if I have the right stats that you are looking for but hopefully these ones:

Noise Margin Downstream 25.8 dB Upstream 17.0 dB
    Line Attenuation Downstream 20.0 dB Upstream 11.0 dB

Are they good or bad?

Thanks babaloushka too for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Onikage wrote: »
    Gave Eircom a call and they said my exchange is definitely upgraded and the speeds are available to all BB users. So why is UTV yanking my chain?

get on to comreg and see what they say.

• Advertisement

Not sure if I have the right stats that you are looking for but hopefully these ones:

Noise Margin 25.8 dB 17.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 20.0 dB 11.0 dB

Are they good or bad?

Thanks babaloushka too for the advice.
    Theyre good, although the local SNR of 11 is kinda low what is your router synching at? speedtest.net results can be all over the shop
    If the exchange is upgraded and youve not got any increases well all i can say is chances are what youre on now is all youre gonna get, i got upgraded but it was only synching at 3130 instead of the usual 3040 or whatever( which i read as not being upgraded ), i redid my phone wiring and have it on 4090 now, my attenuation sux though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I signed upto 2MB with UTV, as previously mentioned the weekend my exchange was upgraded my line changed to 3MB so they upgrades have happened to UTV customers unless I'm a once off.

I also called UTV and they couldn't tell me anything
    Ping results:
    Pinging sip.blueface.ie [194.213.29.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 194.213.29.100: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=122
    Reply from 194.213.29.100: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=122
    Reply from 194.213.29.100: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=122
    Reply from 194.213.29.100: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=122

Ping statistics for 194.213.29.100:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 56ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 57ms

Oh how I miss my 13ms pings to sip.blueface.ie back on BT Business :(

DownStream Connection Speed 3072 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 384 kbps

Theyre good, although the local SNR of 11 is kinda low what is your router synching at? speedtest.net results can be all over the shop

My router is synching at 3072 Kbps down 384 Kbps up.

Does that look like 7.6meg or do you think that I wass upgraded to 3meg by the Eircom upgrade instead of by UTV?

Thanks for you help.

If the exchange is upgraded and youve not got any increases well all i can say is chances are what youre on now is all youre gonna get, i got upgraded but it was only synching at 3130 instead of the usual 3040 or whatever( which i read as not being upgraded ), i redid my phone wiring and have it on 4090 now, my attenuation sux though

Ah, maybe I should have explained my spiel a bit more. I'm trying to get broadband in for the first time and I've just got the landline working today. I asked the neighbours who they are using and what speeds they get, and the ones on eircom are getting 7.6 and the ones on UTV are getting 2. I doubt the line quality is the problem, the ADSL capability checker reports a max possible speed of 8192Kbps for the UTV line. From where I am, the eircom linesman said the exchange was about 1km away, the line was clean and I shouldn't have any problems.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    I signed upto 2MB with UTV, as previously mentioned the weekend my exchange was upgraded my line changed to 3MB so they upgrades have happened to UTV customers unless I'm a once off.

I also called UTV and they couldn't tell me anything

Back in August, right? Did you get a cap increase to go with the speed upgrade? They don't advertise the upgrade at all!

Woooo232, can you 'downgrade' to the 2Mb package again without incurring a penalty? One of the few good things about UTV as an ISP is that some of their call operators seem to know their stuff when you ring for assistance about broadband issues per se - at least the ones I've been lucky enough to get, even if you have a looooong wait to speak to anyone besides Julian :D
    When I asked recently if I should upgrade from 2Mb to 3Mb so that I could benefit fully from the Eircom higher upgrades, the guy I spoke to told me not to bother as my line would probably not be able for any more than the 3Mb that would/should/might happen anyway.
    Maybe yours is the same and if you downgrade, you will still get 3Mb, but pay less for the pleasure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

I'm a UTV customer on a Limerick City exchange. I was on 3mb and got upgraded in July to around 5mb (because that's the highest my line stats will let me go). The upgrade and improved speeds were fine until the last few weeks when YouTube, and only YouTube, slowed to a crawl constantly. And today, for some reason, I'm down to 72kbps*. Obviously I'll see if it persists at that (lack of) speed for a day or two before putting on my Official Complaining Voice™, but if it does they can definitely expect to be getting a call from me...

But to the OP: Yes, the upgrades have definitely been applied to UTV folk.

*According to Irish ISP Speed Test
    I can't even get Speedtest.net to run

Ah, maybe I should have explained my spiel a bit more. I'm trying to get broadband in for the first time and I've just got the landline working today. I asked the neighbours who they are using and what speeds they get, and the ones on eircom are getting 7.6 and the ones on UTV are getting 2. I doubt the line quality is the problem, the ADSL capability checker reports a max possible speed of 8192Kbps for the UTV line. From where I am, the eircom linesman said the exchange was about 1km away, the line was clean and I shouldn't have any problems.
    Ahh ok, if eircom lines of your neighbors are getting 7.6mb then buying the utv 3mb package will get you 7.6 as utv have 0 say in the matter on the speeds and its eircom changing 2mb to 3mb and 3mb to 7.6.

If you ring up utv they'll just say they only have 2mb and 3mb packages or whatever for sale simply because they have no control over it, i mean look at digiweb for dsl, theyre advertising 6 or more when a lot of folk still cant get that. I never got any contact from utv and got upgraded

Back in August, right? Did you get a cap increase to go with the speed upgrade? They don't advertise the upgrade at all!
    i dont think utv for the moment are increasing the cap, i went unlimited because of it, cheap and much handier as my downloads are 420kilobytes per second so much easier to max out 20gigs
    My router is synching at 3072 Kbps down 384 Kbps up.

Does that look like 7.6meg or do you think that I wass upgraded to 3meg by the Eircom upgrade instead of by UTV?

Thanks for you help.
    It depends when you upgraded your package with UTV ->3mb, they only apply the changes at the beginning of the next month, so you could be in a situation where your exchange wasnt upgraded( by eircom ) but at the beginning of august the utv upgrade applied and that youre still waiting for the eircom one to upgrade the exchange.

If eircom did upgrade the exchange, you should have noticed higher pings with your speed increase

If however you are 100% sure that the exchange has been upgrade but that utv have not upgraded your 2mb->3mb then with those stats youre definately on a 2 meg package that got upgraded to 3mb, ring utv, and without sounding bad, make sure you get one of the northern irish guys, theyre the only guys that are any good and tbh theyre excellent and will do everything they can to help you out( they'll even ring you back when they get updates which to me is very good service ).
    Tell them that you know the exchange has been upgraded but that youve only been upgraded from 2mb->3mb and if they can check your settings on the exchange

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yes back in august, cou;ldn';t tell you about cap as I'm on unlimited, my package still says 2MB but my speeds are 3MB

Fair enough, just thought it might appear on a statement or on u.tv/youraccount. It would be nice to know that they are actually aware of the wholesale upgrades and are changing the packages as appropriate (12GB on a 3Mb line seems silly). But for €6 the whole thing is moot.

BTW thanks to everyone who's replied. Should make my life a lot easier tomorrow :) I'd offer to use the free photo frame code but that's going to the neighbour who let examine their modem/account.

Fair enough, just thought it might appear on a statement or on u.tv/youraccount. It would be nice to know that they are actually aware of the wholesale upgrades and are changing the packages as appropriate (12GB on a 3Mb line seems silly). But for €6 the whole thing is moot.

BTW thanks to everyone who's replied. Should make my life a lot easier tomorrow :) I'd offer to use the free photo frame code but that's going to the neighbour who let examine their modem/account.
    lol, id like to take a digital photo of a wall and put a digital photo frame there and just show the wall lol
    Best of luck with it mate

• Advertisement
Advertisement