Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Pizza (Takeout/Delivery )

Options
  • 02-09-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Anyone who is interested - Papa John's (in Walkinstown and Tallaght) use vegetarian mozzarella on their pizza. I emailled to ask.

So that seems to be Dominos and Papa John's for delivery or Pizza Hut or Milanos for eat in.

Anyone know of any others please let me know.

Comments

Isn't all mozzerella veggie?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Isn't all mozzerella veggie?

Unfortunately not Moonbaby. Cheese has a setting agent called rennet which is traditionally made from meat (and you don’t want to know which part). Thankfully a lot of Irish and British cheeses are now made with vegetarian rennet but not always.

It’s the opposite for Italian and French cheese, they are usually made with animal rennet but some are not. True Parmesan cheese is always made with animal rennet.

Yes but mozzerella is a type of curd cheese right? It isn't made with rennet.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Yes but mozzerella is a type of curd cheese right? It isn't made with rennet.

Mozzerella has rennet in it, most of the receipes etc online seem to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

Yes, the good-quality Italian mozzarellas and buffalo mozzarellas contain rennet and are therefore not vegetarian. Some of the cheaper mozzarellas however don't have rennet in them. I use the "Discover.." brand for making pizzas. It tastes fine but it can be very stringy when melted! It's vegetarian and widely available in supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

that 'discover' brand is best found in supervalu. it's not usually available in my local tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I've yet to see animal rennet in the ingredients of any mozzarella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

kraggy wrote: »
    I've yet to see animal rennet in the ingredients of any mozzarella.

for a long long long time rennet wasnt even specified as an ingredient.

If the cheese aint marked as suitable for vegitariansi dont go anywhere near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Washout wrote: »
    for a long long long time rennet wasnt even specified as an ingredient.

If the cheese aint marked as suitable for vegitariansi dont go anywhere near it.

I never do anyway. But as I've said, all the mozzarellas I've ever bought did say they were vegetarian.

I know this is a old thread but just in case anyone comes here looking.
    Apache pizza also use vegetarian rennet in their pizza cheese. A friend got an email from them recently.

"I can now confirm that our cheese uses only microbial rennet it is non animal.
    If you have any further queries please let me know.
    Kind Regards,
    Apache Pizza Head Office"

Most people here probably knew this but I didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement