Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper Comics?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 6:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Hey, im new to this whole comics game and ive recently enough bought a few. thing is, the only place ive actually bought them is in Hodges & Figgis... and they are bloody expensive!
    i bought X-Men: Age of Apocalypse 1 & 2 there and am probably going to pick up #3 as i have €20 worth of vouchers for the place. 1 cost me €26 and 2 cos me €30 which imo, is quite a lot for a book. im reckoning there is cheaper places in Dublin to buy said comics and that would also have a better selection. if you guys could point me in the right direction i would be very happy :)

im mainly into a lot of the mainstream stuff such as X-Men, Batman, Superman etc. and i also love Jack Kirby's New Gods and im looking to try and keep up with this Final Crisis thingy that is going on in DC. if there is a cheap nice comic shop that keep up to date and has a lot of the mainstream stuff then please, hook me up buttercup! :D
    im not such a big fan of stan lee's stuff tho - hulk, spiderman, fantastic four, the avengers and iron man were never really my cup of milky tea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

check the stickie at the top of the forum for a list of all the comic shops in dublin [with handy dandy map to help you find them]

If your looking to just pick trades rather then monthlies online shops like play.com offer cheap trades with free shipping. Monthlies work out more pricey in Ireland due to them being taxed at a higher rate then books. If your looking to pick up monthly titles then Forbidden planet or Sub City are your only options as they are the only stores the order from Diamond. Both are in the city center and short walking distance from each other [check map in linked thread] Story on crow corner has a good selection of trades and back issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yowza! so i went into Sub City last week and it was more expensive then Hodges and figgis :/
    of course the selection was a lot better there and such and there was lots to see. I finished off the last of the Age of Apocalypse series and also bought Superman: Our Worlds at War volume 1. i couldnt find part 2 there unfortunately :(

ive been to forbidden planet before and it was cool enough although that was before i started buying comics. im gonna try that place in blackrock too as its nearer to me then town.

Any other Superman or New Gods series that are worth picking up btw? I was also thinking of X-Men: Onslaught but i already know wat happens etc. in it :( still worth it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Grant Morrison's All Star Superman is getting tons of praise these days. I don't normally care about Superman and I enjoyed it. Plus it's drawn by Frank Quitely, which means that in one of the opening pages you get to see Superman with the kind of chin that would make Bruce Campbell jealous :D

I wouldn't go near any part of the Onslaught saga though, I could be wrong but I remember it being a textbook example of crossovers that require you to buy a bunch of comics that you have no interest in just to get the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Jazzy wrote: »
    yowza! so i went into Sub City last week and it was more expensive then Hodges and figgis :/
    of course the selection was a lot better there and such and there was lots to see. I finished off the last of the Age of Apocalypse series and also bought Superman: Our Worlds at War volume 1. i couldnt find part 2 there unfortunately :(

ive been to forbidden planet before and it was cool enough although that was before i started buying comics. im gonna try that place in blackrock too as its nearer to me then town.

Any other Superman or New Gods series that are worth picking up btw? I was also thinking of X-Men: Onslaught but i already know wat happens etc. in it :( still worth it?

The original New Gods family of series (also called the Fourth World) comprising New Gods, Forever People, Mister Miracle were all by Jack Kirby and they're some of the best comics ever produced. They're all available in trades in both hardcover and softcover form, you should be able to find them in the above mentioned shops, I find online is a lot cheaper from amazon.co.uk and/or bookdepository.co.uk.

Also Walt Simonson did a 25 issue series called Orion about 6 or 7 years ago, it didn't sell very well but believe me it was brilliant stuff, taking Kirby's influence, Phillipe Druillet outer space madness and Simonson's own stuff and mixing it all up for a great self contained series. The first 5 issues were available as a trade and you might be able to find issues in back issue bins or on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Dont buy the hardcover sets. They are printed on crap and woefully over priced. Regular paperbacks are fine.

• Advertisement

bombidol wrote: »
    Dont buy the hardcover sets. They are printed on crap and woefully over priced. Regular paperbacks are fine.

DC hardcovers are generally on **** paper. I got the Starman vol 1 hardcover in the mail yesterday and I was pretty disappointed in the presentation. DC hardcovers aren't a patch on Marvels who seem to be able to print hardcovers on good paper, oversized and with extras and still cost less than DC's....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

cool. cheers for the replies.

ill probably look up that Orion series, sounds good.
    i see there is a new series of Superman with Brainiac in it again so ill also try them.
    and yeah i have noticed that the DC sets have sh1t paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ComicCast

DC hardcovers are generally on **** paper. I got the Starman vol 1 hardcover in the mail yesterday and I was pretty disappointed in the presentation. DC hardcovers aren't a patch on Marvels who seem to be able to print hardcovers on good paper, oversized and with extras and still cost less than DC's....

If you think that's bad you need to pick up the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. It is literally printed on newspaper quality paper. I had to dust myself off every time I read it. It's insane. I thought the Starman Omnibus was fine.

ComicCast wrote: »
    If you think that's bad you need to pick up the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. It is literally printed on newspaper quality paper. I had to dust myself off every time I read it. It's insane. I thought the Starman Omnibus was fine.

The Starman Omnibus is indeed fine....until you compare it to Marvels hardcovers and you realise that DC are cutting corners on production. The bean counters at Time Warner are probably watching every penny DC spend on production. For the same money (or less) Marvel hardcovers are oversized and on much better stock.

I wish DC did try harder because their more obscure titles like Starman, Manhunter and Checkmate are great, much better than the normal dc universe stuff, they deserve to be presented well.

Image as well have better production values, I just got Jack Kirbys Silver Star hardcover and its mouthwateringly good, I got the Godland Omnibus a while ago and its oversized, good stock, great extras.

Advertisement