Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT throttled my connection

Options
13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Well, well, well... I just got back from being away for several days (left utorrent on and wasn't downloading anything) and I appear to have been throttled for exceeding my upload limit.

I honestly never thought I'd see the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

I was unthrottled 3 days ago after 13 days but throtteled again after 7gb of downloads.My usage chart says I've downloaded nothing which is not true.Their customer service dosen't want to know.Any recommendations for an isp in the Swords area.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

If they are doing this to all customers then I'll have to switch ISP soon. I want an ISP that will allow me to download as much as I want at a stable top speed, e.g. 1Mbit or 2Mbit. That's what fixed-line DSL is supposed to offer you. If I wanted waiting around and stupid low caps I'd get broadband-over-UMTS.

Fixed-line ISPs having "caps" after which you are charged or throttled is a load of crap. Eircom looks like the best alternative at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

,8,1 wrote: »
    I want an ISP that will allow me to download as much as I want at a stable top speed, e.g. 1Mbit or 2Mbit. That's what fixed-line DSL is supposed to offer you. If I wanted waiting around and stupid low caps I'd get broadband-over-UMTS.

I have to agree with Caball, you need to live in the real world. There is no ISP in the world that will do this. ISPs are businesses not charities.

They are in the business of making money and if users of their service were to do this, they would be out of business within weeks or the price you pay for the service would be x10 what it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

I have to agree with Caball, you need to live in the real world. There is no ISP in the world that will do this. ISPs are businesses not charities.

True but over DSL/Cable lines I don't think it's technically unfeasible. If all their users were 10Mbit uncapped and downloading alot then their network infrastructure might be buckling. At a few megs, I don't think so.

In the US Comcast have recently introduced a 250GB monthly cap, and Joe Public is complaining alot about that. Japan have connections up to 100MBit and no caps to speak of. DSL should be about pushing the technology over good infrastructure, and making profit on the monthly fee.

My impression is that the ISPs are within profit and network capacity, but they're capping to increase that profit a bit and avoid network upgrades. It'd be unfortunate if all Irish fixed-line ISPs standardized on low caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

According to the bt broadband usage page I have almost reached my monthly limit.

My monthly limit is only 10gb.
    So I don't know will they charge me extra if I go over the limit?

What the hell do you guys mean that they've throttled your connection?

Does that mean you can't download anything or your browsing speed is slower or you can't surf the net at all or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it means they restrict your download speed to 100-125kbps (ISDN type speeds, about 2x dialup speed).

for the top 7.6mbps/24mbps) package they don't do that till you get to either 85-100gb downloaded and it's measured over a rolling 30 day period so an average of just under 3gb per day, so I'm not sure what it would be on your package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Oh right thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

This is my fourth day throttled by BT now and I'm tearing my hair out. 10kb/sec is completely unusable. I thought with the counter being reset today I'd be ok but nope. I d/l 112GB in October - I rarely get this high but October was an exception. I've just paid the bill for the next two months, but I cant see any point in paying them when I cannot use the service. If they had mentioned a cap with the service I would have known not to go near it but stupid me I thought Unlimited actually meant unlimited!

What can I do? I'm seriously thinking of paying the extra €3.50 a month and going with UPC.

I'll call them and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

I thought the same, That the start of the month and everything would reset but its a rolling 30 day count now.I had a 13 day throttle followed by a 3 day.Unlimited it certainly is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone know what their email address is? Cant find it on their site.

I'm letting comreg know aswell (and bt know I'm going to comreg).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

tony-od wrote: »
    I thought the same, That the start of the month and everything would reset but its a rolling 30 day count now.I had a 13 day throttle followed by a 3 day.Unlimited it certainly is not.

Yeah, with the new speeds you could hit the cap in just a few days, if you set your mind to it. Leaving you throttled for the next 3 weeks or so!

It's been said on here a few times but roughly 3gigs per day (average) is the safe bet.

Phlann wrote: »
    Yeah, with the new speeds you could hit the cap in just a few days, if you set your mind to it.
    try half a day. ;) flat out on a 7.6mbps connection you could hit the 30gb cap in less than 12 hours and 100gbps in significantly less than two days if you really put your mind to it.
    Phlann wrote: »
    It's been said on here a few times but roughly 3gigs per day (average) is the safe bet.
    yep.

if you go slightly over that and they do throttle you it'll most likely be back to normal again the next day.

anyway, doesn't matter hugely now, will have my ntl 20mbps down 1.5mbps up cable connection before the end of the week and BT can (finally) go and **** themselves with a broken bottle. :D

still procesing my BT business sales complaint though and that seems to be going okay too, at least they can do that much. :)

from the bit of reading I've done on the new 20mbps cable service ntl will leave you alone at the very least until you hit 600gb, which I'm pretty sure even I won't be able to manage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 greystoke

Your usage has been throttled due to overuse.
    Logins 12
    Offpeak Traffic 8701 minutes
    Peak Traffic 3598 minutes
    Data uploaded 4.00 GB [4289895458 bytes]
    Data downloaded 27.13 GB [29131565744 bytes]

:(

sux to be you. :(

had my ntl for a while now and not even sure how much I've been downloading (since I don't have to keep an eye on it any more). but i do know it's well over 100gb in the last month and I honestly couldn't be happier (so far, touch wood). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Not being throttled but am getting crap at the mo

370686615.png

This is a once off for me, usually my speeds are perfect

Advertisement