Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SearchMe.com on Ireland AM this morning...

Options
  • 02-09-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

A visual search engine called SearchMe.com was featured on Ireland AM this morning. It looked cool, presenting the results in a series of scrollable windows, quite like the feature in Windows Vista that allows you to switch between application windows by displaying them all on the screen behind eachother...

I had a look at it and it IS actually pretty cool. As you type your search criteria, different categories appear below the search box that you can use to harrow down the search to that particular category. So for example if you searched for "fish" (with a view to cooking it) it would display categories like Recreation or Cooking, click on Cooking and it will only bring up the results to do with cooking as opposed to any results for "fish". They results are then displayed in a 3D fashion and you can scroll through them. It also reminds me of the iPod touch when you turn it horizontally to scroll through a group of albums, it has a similar look to that.

Performance-wise it was a bit slow for me as im using my old old laptop but on anything new id say it would be great, must try it when i get my XPS back on the road...

Have a look, its worth a few minutes. Developed by ex-Yahoo! people too i believe. Its also in Beta so be patient, although i didnt have any errors or hassle apart from the speed!

Enjoy and feed back...

Head

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

meh, pretty rubbish if you ask me. I tried search terms that will throw up a couple of my sites in google on the first page and it didn't even find them at all in this.

though its novel with its screen grab / vista tabs layout it gets tiresome very quickly having to click through results also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

A search engine that uses Flash ???? Now THAT'S ironic :P

Same opinion as mju......gimmicky and nowhere near useful.....no sign of most of the relevant sites that show up on Google.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

It's very nice, but I will have no purpose for it.

My congrats to them on developing a nice solid system like this though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

the other thing that actually occured to me today when talking to a friend about this site. There is actually ZERO site descriptions so you are supposed to guess the sites relevance to your search term by a picture?

Advertisement