Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought car up north - where do i stand

Options
  • 02-09-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Bought a 2nd hand 2005 car up north at the weekend. It came with a warranty of engine and gearbox. It was from a car dealer.

Yesterday after 200 miles since i bought it, the car conked and wouldnt start. got it back to my house and waited til this morning to contact the garage i bought it from. they said it was probably the fuel punp relay and to try that first as it was a 10 quid fix. They then also said that the warranty was specificially engine and gearbox.. I said i understood what it said ont he receit but i didnt expect a car to break down after 2 days and 200 miles. I am waiting for my mechanic to check it out at my house to see if the relay is gone, but tbh i think its the fuel pump.

Where do i stand with them being over the boder, (warrenpoint)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Most UK cars have 3 year manufacturer's warranty minimum. If your car is less than 3 years old and less than 60k miles you can take it local main dealer.

I returned from UK with my car, it was 2 years and 8 months old, had serious warranty issue. Local dealer gave an old suck of breath in...its an 03, sorry out of warranty....your looking at 11k for new auto gearbox, radiator and oil cooler. Serious suck of breath in, I said it was UK car, has 3 year warranty.

Moral of story, don't buy new car in Ireland with 2 year warranty, buy a 2nd hand UK car, 6 months old with >6k miles. Then all you pay is VRT and have a car with longer warranty than provided by importers here.

The 2 year warranty applies to all Irish sourced German cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

Read through the supporting docs that contained BMW Warranty, your right it is 3 years, but it states 3 yrs UK and if exported 2 years, you dont get the 3rd year only if your in the uk.

I will ring BMW and see what they say anyways. I wonder would a fuel pump be covered under it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Just bought in NI also..A VW almost 3yrs old.
    I found the following here about importing from UK:
    You have no warranty, in short if there is something wrong with the car you buy are you really going to go all the way to the UK to return the car. The answer is most likely no. Only really new cars with manufacturer warranties will be covered under warrantly in Ireland for the most part.

Doesn't sound right ?
    The trader I dealt with said he'd give me 3 months warranty,
    but if I was importing it to ROI it would be reduced to 1 month.
    Also doesn't sound right... :confused:

just rang bmw ireland. have 3 yr warranty that will expire in 3 weeks! sending a technician in the next 2 hrs, if not fixable it will be brought to nearest bmw dealership and fixed under warranty at no charge,

now thats service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Wherever your feet are generally.

• Advertisement

hirarious -

update - called bmw at 9am, technician was here by 11, car was collected at 1 and hire car provided for 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

BolBill wrote: »
    Wherever your feet are generally.

I was going to say that :D

Advertisement