Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

templateless CMS to integrate into own design

Options
  • 02-09-2008 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having no luck searching for this but am sure it exists.
    I'm sick of being limited by overbloated CMS applications out there when all I want is to design a site from the ground up and to have one area of text where the client can log in from a separate page and be able to edit that content without any html knowledge. I don't want to be stuck using templates and modules, I want the freedom of my own sites but don't know any code.
    Is anyone aware of any applications that might do the job? Many thanks.

(Just to clarify that, if it was confusing. I don't want the CMS to interfere with, or be responsible for, the design of the website - just to provide a means for the client to edit the text on a page. Absolutely nothing else).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

cmsmadesimple ... lets you define the users ...

(they'd actually get to add a page ... give it a parent ... edit the content .. upload an image ... and so on ... change the meta ..)

you can restrict what they have access to though.

Might be an option ....

snews is pretty nice and simple as well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Another idea is to use the service (mentioned here a few months back, name escapes me) where you add some attributes to some tags on your page and it allows you to edit the text of those span sections.

IIRC it downloads your page, lets you edit specified sections and then FTPs the new page to your site (obviously it needs your FTP info).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

daymobew - I think you might be referring to Light, it does something like that:
    http://www.speaklight.com/

Also, Adobe Contribute is a little bit like that too, though I've never used it.

Expression Engine is a little bit more complicated, but it would certainly be able to handle your needs, and it would scale if clients ever asked for a blog or news section.

p wrote: »
    Also, Adobe Contribute is a little bit like that too, though I've never used it.

not too big a fan of contribute myself ... generates some nastyish code last time a client was using it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was just about to take a look at Adobe Contribute.

It seems like it's not highly recommended here then. I might take a look at cmsmadesimple instead.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I was just about to take a look at Adobe Contribute.

It seems like it's not highly recommended here then. I might take a look at cmsmadesimple instead.

I think I've got it with web premium ... and I haven't bothered to install it.

From what a customer had done with it ... it was pretty hidious. They also required training on it ... they were from a completely non web background however. Maybe if you're a web developer / designer it'd be better.

p wrote: »
    daymobew - I think you might be referring to Light, it does something like that:
    http://www.speaklight.com/
    No, that's not it. I'll try search the archives here. It was purely an interface to your current web site, not a CMS of any sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

cushycms is the one you're thinking of.

heggie wrote: »
    cushycms is the one you're thinking of.
    I tried it and it was quite useful - make sure you specify the content types for maximum control of what the client can change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

That cushy one is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement