Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Car Dealer

Options
  • 02-09-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a query as to the consumers rights in terms of getting a 1 year old car replaced with a new car.

I Purchased a New 07 Toyota Corolla last August, In the space of the last year (at roughly 4 month intervals) this car has stalled, problem with engine overheating, losing oil, losing water and needed to be brought back to the Garage where I purchased.

As you can understand I have now lost my patience and want a new car in place of this obviously flawed car. I am thinking that if this is happening after 1 year what kind of problems will occur after 3 years.

Please can someone provide me with details of where I stand. I have contacted Toyota Ireland and they state it is at the Dealers discretion. This car has the standard 3 year toyoya warranty. I am fed up of it been patched up and again causing trouble.

Regards,
    Disgruntled Toyota Driver

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Get straight onto Toyota Ireland and kick up a stink with them instead of dealer then go legal if no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The first thing you should do is gather all the evidence you can about the dates and times of incidents and the dealer's attempts to fix the problems. This all needs to be put down in writing. Note that the dealer's fixes are an acknowledgement that there was a problem, any written documentation from the dealer is very helpful here.

Not clear from your post if it's the same problems recurring or whether one is fixed and then the next occurs. Also all cars can "stall" and many will use oil. Water (actually coolant) should not need to be added.

I'd suggest you go and see a solicitor and start the process of formally rejecting the car if problems have recurred. I'd expect a letter from the solicitor quoting the relevant parts of consumer law, with sufficient evidence, sent by registered delivery to the dealer and copied to Toyota IE will start the ball rolling.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

what does the warranty say?

From my understanding you arent entitled to a replacement...its repair,replacement or refund ...which ever the seller deems most appropriate.

having said that I can understand why you are annoyed...toyota are sold as a highly reliable car...and the one you have doesnt seem to be so.

Advertisement