Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Magazines

Options
  • 02-09-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why the Euro price for some english magazines are so high? For instance, BBC Good Food magazine costs £3.10 and converts to €3.82, and yet I was charged €4.90 for it?

It drives me mad, I didn't buy it at that price, and told the guy in the shop that the price was wrong, and he couldn't give a hoot!! It's so annoying!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Distribution, different VAT rate, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

cute_cow wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the Euro price for some english magazines are so high? For instance, BBC Good Food magazine costs £3.10 and converts to €3.82, and yet I was charged €4.90 for it?

It drives me mad, I didn't buy it at that price, and told the guy in the shop that the price was wrong, and he couldn't give a hoot!! It's so annoying!
    Why would the guy in the shop give a toss? Chances are he doesn't own the place and won't be there longer than 6 months anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You were charged extra.Now why is this ? Who is adding on and creaming off the extra ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Different VAT prices and the extra cost of shipping it to Ireland. Plus there's a monopoly on magazine distribution in Ireland, Easons has it.

There's your price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

and told the guy in the shop that the price was wrong, and he couldn't give a hoot!! It's so annoying!

And what was he supposed to do about it? Magically lower the set price it'd scan in at just for you? Easons Head Office, or the magazine itself are the ONLY people you should complain to. Try working in a shop and having loads of asshats complaining about the price to you as if you know, you set them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Probably not convenient OP but perhaps a quick hop over the border to buy your mags is in order .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Tax, and stupid people dont know the conversion rates so they dont know how much they should be charged!
    Small shops dont make much profit per item, magazines make a good profit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

mail order normally works out cheaper if you read it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A bit of vat and a lot of wholesaler (got it all sewn up) rip-off. It was exactly the same when it was Pound Sterling and Punt. They must be making even more now with the exchange rate as it is.

I thing the retail profit margins are the same as in the UK, so the newsagent can't be blamed (unless it's one of the shops owned by the wholesalers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Different VAT prices and the extra cost of shipping it to Ireland. Plus there's a monopoly on magazine distribution in Ireland, Easons has it.

There's your price difference.

The price difference is due to the fact that VAT is not charged on magazines in the UK whereas 13.5% is charged on most mags in Ireland, with 21% on certain magazines.

The sterling used to buy the magazines is bought months in advance, so the rate is different.

It is also far more expensive to distribute magazines in Ireland due to the small population densities and the fact that the same price has to be charged throughout the country. If this was not taken into account when pricing magazines they would be cheaper in highly populated areas such as Dublin, but far more expensive down the country

Eason's do not have a monopoly on the distribution of newspapers and magazines, Newspread, which is a subsidiary of Independent Newspapers also distribute newspapers and magazines and they charge the same prices for these.

As I've said the main reason for the price difference is down to the VAT, so you should really be compaining to the Revenue Commissioners

£3.10 (STG RRP) * 1.30 (Currency rate) * 1.135 (VAT) = 4.58 * 1.06 (Additional distribution costs) = 4.85
    As the sterling is bought in advance, the rate does not change every day

PS: The RRP prices are only recommended and the retailer is free to charge what they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A bit of vat and a lot of wholesaler (got it all sewn up) rip-off. It was exactly the same when it was Pound Sterling and Punt. They must be making even more now with the exchange rate as it is.

I thing the retail profit margins are the same as in the UK, so the newsagent can't be blamed (unless it's one of the shops owned by the wholesalers).

The wholesale margin on a magazine is actually quite small and the costs involved in news wholesaling in Ireland are far higher than the UK, for example, the waste and delivery charges related to unsold copies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jahalpin wrote: »
    The wholesale margin on a magazine is actually quite small and the costs involved in news wholesaling in Ireland are far higher than the UK, for example, the waste and delivery charges related to unsold copies etc.

The margins may be "quite small", like wholesalers in most supply networks, but the high turnover is what makes it worth the effort. I'll have to do some further research to pin-point exactly where the masked man in the stripey jumper is hiding in the distribution network.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

SteveC wrote: »
    mail order normally works out cheaper if you read it regularly.

thanks steve, i'll look into, might be a better option to get them by mail order.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ehh you mean a subscription? Most magazines are a lot cheaper when you subscribe directly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Ehh you mean a subscription? Most magazines are a lot cheaper when you subscribe directly.
    Yes, that's what I meant.
    I think you also save the (Irish) VAT as well if they're sent from the UK - not sure though. Either way, it always works out way cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When I was in outer Mongolia recently I was appalled at the price they wanted for that days Irish Times....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

rubadub wrote: »
    When I was in outer Mongolia recently I was appalled at the price they wanted for that days Irish Times....

Why so sarcastic?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

VAT on most Magazines is 21% in Ireland
    VAT on newspapers is 13.5%

Vat on Mags & Newspapers in UK is 0%

I believe Easons current rate of exchange is 1.28 and is fixed until end of Dec, so UK mag costing £2 should retail at €3.10. (£2 x 1.28 + 21% vat) No extra distribution costs are charged as per another post.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mixer101 wrote: »

Why so late?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mixer101 wrote: »
    Because there are continually threads being posted about Ireland being a "rip-off" as though this only happens here. People moaning about dunnes dual pricing, even though sometimes it can go the other way. Go to other countries and try to buy and Irish magazine or paper and it usually costs more than here, it could possibly be cheaper in the UK if they do not pay VAT, I am not sure.

I wasn't being overly sarcastic anyway, just making people wake up and think about it, would you expect to get the irish times in mongolia for the same price as here? if not then why would you expect to get magazines from other countries here at the same price?

As mentioned it is recommended pricing anyway, they can charge what they want, if it is not worth it, just don't buy it, because.... its not worth it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

just be wary of the postal system in both countries when ordering your subscription, if a mag or 2 goes missing.

Advertisement