Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone socket / wire colours? Help please.

Options
  • 02-09-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all, I hope one of you can help me.
    I'm moving into a different house and they don't have a phone. There is a line into the house but they only used it years ago. The room I will have had a blank socket so I screwed the cover off to see what was behind it and it looks like a phone wire to me. The cables in there were red white and blue. Can anyone verify if that is a phone line? I don't know any electricians and don't neccesarily want to call one and make a fool of myself...
    (And getting someone on the phone with eircom prooved unsuccessful after two days of trying to ring the technicians.)

I'll be grateful if any of you could help, thanks :)

Oh yes, and I'll apply for broadband not sure if that makes a difference..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

why dont you connect a wireless broadband router/modem( N or N+ speeds if you want to game ) to the socket where the line comes into the house and connect a N or N+ wireless usb key to your PC instead of worrying about wiring? ( im presuming your question is related to there being a connection to the main phoneline in a particular room in the house and not the main socket in the house )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I rewired my phone socket a while ago.
    I did as i had originally asked in the thread and it is all hunky dory now.

I posted up clear photos so it should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

lmimmfn wrote: »
    why dont you connect a wireless broadband router/modem( N or N+ speeds if you want to game ) to the socket where the line comes into the house and connect a N or N+ wireless usb key to your PC instead of worrying about wiring? ( im presuming your question is related to there being a connection to the main phoneline in a particular room in the house and not the main socket in the house )

You're a lucky bunny if your internet needs 54Mbps G never mind 108 turbo G or 250Mbps N.

Wiring is better than even "802.11n" WiFi.

Also USB 1.1 is only 12Mbps. USB2.0 isn't likely to really be able to do 250Mbps sustained speed.

It also depends on what other stuff the OP has on his/her network

watty wrote: »
    You're a lucky bunny if your internet needs 54Mbps G never mind 108 turbo G or 250Mbps N.
    no, of course i cant use it( the full bw ), my net is 4Mb, and in theory 54 should provide 6.7Mb. However the faster the wifi connection the better( speed and reliability ) it works over distance at slower speeds( i.e. ADSL speed ). I Tested this with 54Mb and N, course the hardware manufacturers being different for the components will vary slightly the outcome slightly but not to the extent that i got
    Wiring is better than even "802.11n" WiFi.
    I agree wiring is always better, but whatever works handiest and is entirely dependent on what the OP wants to use the net for/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lmimmfn wrote: »
    no, of course i cant use it( the full bw ), my net is 4Mb, and in theory 54 should provide 6.7Mb. However the faster the wifi connection the better( speed and reliability ) it works over distance at slower speeds( i.e. ADSL speed ). I Tested this with 54Mb and N, course the hardware manufacturers being different for the components will vary slightly the outcome slightly but not to the extent that i got
    I think you are getting mixed up between your bits and bytes.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I think you are getting mixed up between your bits and bytes.
    correct, sorry, ADSL 450kilobytes and 6.7Mbytes on the G

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

11Mbps WiFi (a or b) is fast enough for one users on 4Mbps Internet (4,000 kilobits/s), if no other WiFi traffic for local server etc...

54Mbps (802.11g) can do over 30Mbps most of the time. Fast enough for 20Mbps Internet.

11Mbps WiFi (a or b) is fast enough for one users on 4Mbps Internet (4,000 kilobits/s), if no other WiFi traffic for local server etc...

54Mbps (802.11g) can do over 30Mbps most of the time. Fast enough for 20Mbps Internet.
    well im only giving my own story, what you say is 100% fine on paper, but i tried G on my PC with the wireless router in the hall and the dsl modem and it was junk compared to N on the router and PC( in regards of ping/signal stability ), even upstairs theres a better singal/pings with the N, you might have had different experiences with G but im just giving my 2 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

*Real world usage may differ wildly. For optimal performance, please remove all walls, ceilings, 2.4Ghz phones, microwaves and contents from your house.

MIMO is definitely the way to go. B/G are fine for more controlled environments where mulitpath doesn't interfere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath

• Advertisement
Advertisement