Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy Racers at night

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

I live out the Castlecomer Road and most nights now after midnight there are cars tearing up and down around the place. I noticed as well that someone's marked one of the road signs on the ring road with the text "Drag Strip".

Last night I heard sirens around the place. Anyone know what happened? Was it the guards finally acting on these louts? Or something else entirely?

DSC00337-1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

There always in Woodies carpark, revving up at night, probably make there way down to the Castlecomer road then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

To be honest the proper boy racers who spend big money dont do that **** as they have thousands upon thousands spent in their cars.

Don't get me wrong I hate the pr*cks that do all that crap on the street at night thinking it's cool

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I noticed that "drag strip" graffiti on the sign too. I find that whole situation a bit odd. The council stuck in the new roundabout on the old ring road outside Glanbia House because that was the longest stretch on the ring road and it was being used as a race track. Then they go and build the ring road extension with a much longer stretch down to the comer road :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I live next to the ring road and I hear them in Woodies every night. Sometimes the screeching of the brakes is so severe and loud, I'm almost anticipating the crash. I've come across them on 5 or 6 occasions racing along the ring road itself. How they get away with it I dont know. Do the cops not care?

In all fairness the cops aren't going to do much good in a fiat going after them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In all fairness the cops aren't going to do much good in a fiat going after them

they can still get the numberplates etc, and easy corner them in in the woodies carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Why dont the just close off Woodies Car Park once the last shop closes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

To be honest the proper boy racers who spend big money dont do that **** as they have thousands upon thousands spent in their cars. l

Yeah they do, there all the same. They all think there great with a piece of crap flying down the road making engine noise more fake than a hookers smile.
    All boy racers are muppets.

Why dont the just close off Woodies Car Park once the last shop closes?

Probably because there's more than just woodie's in there - you have the likes of KFC opening much later than woodie's and the other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Nightwish wrote: »
    I live next to the ring road and I hear them in Woodies every night. Sometimes the screeching of the brakes is so severe and loud, I'm almost anticipating the crash. I've come across them on 5 or 6 occasions racing along the ring road itself. How they get away with it I dont know. Do the cops not care?

I'm afraid not. There must be a league ladder now as we now have little boy racers. I was up in Letterkenny recently as we were filming the Grianan Theatre. The sound of the little ba$tards going by every few mins was so annoying that we had to use sound filters to filter out the noise from outside. They are inconsiderate, dim witted kids. We complained to the Gardai because we had arranged in advance that we were coming down and the shoot was for their upcoming performances. They didn't even show up. That was mind boggling.

Our company has been approached by Barnstorm Theatre Company so we may be filming their DVD brochure. Anybody been to it recently? It's address is listed as Church Lane. Is that anywhere near the city centre? Have never been to Kilkenny before and am looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I was coming home late on Saturday night and there was a checkpoint setup around 2am on the old Castlecomer road between the Newpark and the new roundabout.

I'm near the Callan road and can hearing them coming down the other end of the ring road most nights. Yeah man you look really 'cool' with a tanning bed strapped to the underside of your 1L Fiesta. They're thick stupid c**ts the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

They're also in & out of Lidl's car park nightly :mad: same as Woodies....high rev's & brakes screeching.

I'd love to have one of those stinger things that the cops in the Uk have....just for one night...
    Maybe this recession will have one plus point?

Al.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stephen wrote: »
    Probably because there's more than just woodie's in there - you have the likes of KFC opening much later than woodie's and the other shops.

Fair enough, then why not make it KFC's responsibility to close up the gates when they close up?
    Alzar wrote: »
    Maybe this recession will have one plus point?

Al.

One could hope, perhaps as time goes by the new driving permit laws will reduce the numbers of new boy racers as they won't be able to get full licenses, here's hoping on a crack down on learner permit racers driving without a full licensed driver! :)

ugh don't start me on those stupid permits. I still haven bothered to get one yet, but when i do I'll be driving everywhere.

The permits are stupid for proper new drivers. I'm 19 and not into the boy racer culture at all, so when i do eventually get a car I'll be using it to get to work and to whatever sport events i have. I'll be paying a few grand for insuracne(rip off) but I legally can't drive somewhere without a fully licenced driver??? like my parents/friends/sisters don't have jobs or lives that they can afford to sit there beside me at all times.

So do your driving test. You don't have to wait long for one any more.

ugh don't start me on those stupid permits. I still haven bothered to get one yet, but when i do I'll be driving everywhere.

The permits are stupid for proper new drivers. I'm 19 and not into the boy racer culture at all, so when i do eventually get a car I'll be using it to get to work and to whatever sport events i have. I'll be paying a few grand for insuracne(rip off) but I legally can't drive somewhere without a fully licenced driver??? like my parents/friends/sisters don't have jobs or lives that they can afford to sit there beside me at all times.

Ok lets see, I got my first permit on January 28th, didn't get the car and start driving until mid-march and then applied for my test...waited the legally required 6 months before I could do my test and 6 months and 8 days after I got my permit I got my full license.

In all this time I took 9 lessons, after that it was just practice with people I know, when I first started in Mid-March I drove every night for 1-2 hours on backroads which to this day stands to me for judging my car on the road and night driving.

The learner permit system that's now in Ireland is no different to any other EU country and yet they manage to all get driving so while I get its awkward to get somebody beside you all the time it was never legal for you to do so on the first provisional anyway so now its just being enforced and rightly so :)

Your basically driving a 1-2 tonne killing machine around the roads, its only right you shouldn';t be allowed do so on your own unless you can prove you can control it.

After all that I still miss cycling to work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fair enough, then why not make it KFC's responsibility to close up the gates when they close up?

As far as I know, they can't lock up the car park because its an access to the hotel. They lock the stretch up at the back though.

Its a shame they can't lock it because the muppets that 'drive' around in there are lethal.

They're as bad during the day as they are at night, they've no consideration.

I've seen them hanging around during the day alright but not driving very fast or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

If the cops go after a Kilkenny boy racer, they are not going to take them off on a wild goose chance. They will just pull over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Nightwish wrote: »
    Do the cops not care?
    DenMan wrote: »
    We complained to the Gardai because we had arranged in advance that we were coming down and the shoot was for their upcoming performances. They didn't even show up. That was mind boggling.

Looking at the posts here I am presuming that most of the problems are happening in carparks of Lidls, hotel, KPC etc. If premises such as Lidls or KFC are closed those carparks are considered private property so the Gardai cannot enter unless they see or believe an offence is being committed.

This has happened to me before where I saw a driver drifting in a carpark late at night. I stopped the car and got the driver details. The only offence the driver could be prosecuted is for trespass but when I went to the owner/company of the carpark, they didn't want to do anything about it so it continues as before. It is the same on this occasion so there is feck all Gardai can do about it. I know it is a load of bollox but that is the law but Gardai have to abide by it. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately Gardai do not create laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Congregating in a Lidl car park is one thing. Treating public roads like race tracks is another thing entirely.

Advertisement