Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesnar versus Couture..it's official!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Instead of making it Randy vs Nog for the undesputid title which is usually the case when there's a champion and an interm champion he's made it so randy could lose his belt to a relative newcomer to the mma game and not give him the chance to face nog and become undesputed champion.

Nogueira's already facing Mir in December. They can't just cancel the fight. The winner of that may end up injured and not able to fight til May or something like that. So you'd have a 45 year old Couture just sitting on the sidelines waiting for that fight. I don't see the point in that. Especially when they can put on as big a fight as Brock vs Randy!
    2. Yes Randy's next contract. Everyone expected him to retire years ago, he's come out of retirement on a new contract after this fight he'll only have one left.

He said that he's signed a new three fight contract. I'm sure he still has that ambassador's contract, so he's still going to be contracted to the UFC after his third fight in some capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

no it's not his contract has two fights on it, if he beats brock they cant just let him go with the belt again while the tournament has been announced.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    So is this Randys last fight with the UFC?

His third last. With an obvious disclaimer that anything can end up happening. But that's how it stands for now

oh he's already signed a new 3 fight deal??? sorry i missed that *insert valid reason for my mistake here*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Ok rovert im not going to get into a massive row like most of your threads do, so ill explain what i meant and we'll leave it at that.

1. Teaching Randy a lesson. Unless your living under a rock you;ll know Dana and Randy have had their differences over the past year or so. Instead of making it Randy vs Nog for the undesputid title which is usually the case when there's a champion and an interm champion he's made it so randy could lose his belt to a relative newcomer to the mma game and not give him the chance to face nog and become undesputed champion.

2. Yes Randy's next contract. Everyone expected him to retire years ago, he's come out of retirement on a new contract after this fight he'll only have one left. Who says he wont sign a new contract, especially if the ufc do eventually land Fedor??

Fozzy: yeah sorry i forgot about that i was leaving out the potential rematch

1. Dana is promoting the most marketable fight in front of him. No one cares about pure MMA match making except the hardcore fans.

2. Randy signed a three fight and he is with UFC for life, so there is no lessons being tought here. Three fights is a relatively long time for someone his age.

So again my asking you to get a clue does have some basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Is this the first fight announced for this card or has there been additional fights made?

Should be a good fight. Doubt Couture will be able to pin Brock against the cage. Brock should win this.

not really any basis, I made a mistake which i've admitted by not knowing he had signed a new deal, I made a contribution which to be fair is better than the :rolleyes: you posted on the mma boards. Your reply just makes you out to be looking to get a rise out of me but it's failed.

Also the hardcore mma fans were once casual fans, which is why the ufc succeeded, they turned the casual fans into hardcore before it got extremely popular and they will continure to do so, So by playing the randy fedor fight he will continue to turn the casual fans that are on the edge of being hardcore fans

rizzla wrote: »
    Is this the first fight announced for this card or has there been additional fights made?

I think that it's the first fight officially announced, but there's a few others "rumoured". What I mean is that the fighters have said that they're fighting at it, there just hasn't been an official announcement. So far it's going to be:

Kenny Florian vs Joe Stevenson
    Gabriel Gonzaga vs Josh Hendricks
    Amir Sadollah vs someone

And they've talked about getting Rampage Jackson on this show too, but no indication of an opponent yet

not really any basis, I made a mistake which i've admitted by not knowing he had signed a new deal, I made a contribution which to be fair is better than the :rolleyes: you posted on the mma boards. Your reply just makes you out to be looking to get a rise out of me but it's failed.

Ive replied subsequently, with the knowledge you displayed in that post it did deserve a :rolleyes:. I was more or less proved right on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Once again another thread destroyed by petty bickering:rolleyes:

Massive fight. I look forward to it. Seems odd that they are sending Brock to the top of the card so soon, but if thats where the money is, thats what it must be.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    I think that it's the first fight officially announced, but there's a few others "rumoured". What I mean is that the fighters have said that they're fighting at it, there just hasn't been an official announcement. So far it's going to be:

Kenny Florian vs Joe Stevenson
    Gabriel Gonzaga vs Josh Hendricks
    Amir Sadollah vs someone

And they've talked about getting Rampage Jackson on this show too, but no indication of an opponent yet
    I think everyone hope's Florian wins this one...I dont think anyone desires to see stevenson taking on bj again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Hmm, thats opinion, not fact. Be careful of that round here.

gimmick wrote: »
    personally I dont find the thought of this happening again too appealing and I worry for those that do2231187522_b2d81c662c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Any rumours about who Sadollah might be fighting? Hope it's not someone from his time in TUF.

gimmick wrote: »

Dont start any trouble here, give me an example of me asking someone to back a statement that starts or take it back:
    I dont think anyone
    etc

F4W have posted an audio update.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rovert wrote: »
    Dont start any trouble here,

This thread is already down the crapper, so i'll say this now and get it over and done with. But the trouble was already started by you, which Fozzy already called you on (but in your mind, you still didn't see that you were being a complete ass to raze_them_all)

And then you have the gall to say the above? Talk about the pot and the kettle.
    I'm sorry i took you off ignore in the first place, back you go until you cop the f*ck on! :D

VR!

This thread is already down the crapper, so i'll say this now and get it over and done with. But the trouble was already started by you, which Fozzy already called you on (but in your mind, you still didn't see that you were being a complete ass to raze_them_all)

raze was totally uninformed (a fact to his credit he admitted in part) yet was the most vocal shooting me and I asked him two questions relating to Randy and asked him to get a clue. What was major problem? It was on topic.
    And then you have the gall to say the above? Talk about the pot and the kettle.
    I'm sorry i took you off ignore in the first place, back you go until you cop the f*ck on! :D
    VR!

Yeah the gall to ask gimmick not to post something that Ive never actually done in attempt insult me.

I really dont care if you have me on ignore due to why you put me on ignore the first place.

Just keep on topic now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Go on Rovert boy.

When is this fight taking place actually?

Fozzy wrote: »
    Just keep on topic now

I have, Fozzy and gimmick took it off topic. Regardless of what went on with Raze_them_all and myself, Id rather have 10 of him than former two.

Anyway this poll continues to rule:
    Who would you predict to win this match if it takes place?
    Brock Lesnar
    669 51.1%

Randy Couture
    640 48.9%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did Couture not go off to join another company?

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Go on Rovert boy.

When is this fight taking place actually?

November 15th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

No. For the last year he's been trying to get out of his original UFC contract but now has struck a new deal.

Just from telling my friends about it over the past hour who would be casual fans, they're really excited about it.

It's mega, mega fight. The record buyrate for the UFC is just over 1 million ppv buys. I think this one will do 750,000 easily and if it's promoted like crazy, I think it has a chance to get close to the record. In saying that, Tito/Chuck had a lot going for it and maybe it won't quite match that.

Personally, I'd love Randy to win but this is gonna be a tough one for him.

He tried to. He resigned from the UFC but then the UFC started legal proceedings because they said that he couldn't do that because of his contract with them. I think Randy realised that the UFC were right. It's why he's still the UFC heavyweight champion, his contract was still valid and they couldn't strip him of the title

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Can't believe that's a year already! It bombed in!
    VR!

I see. Sounds like it's a pretty good deal for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Observer update:
    -- More on the UFC conference call. Dana White said Portland was never official and that they would run there at some point in the future. He said Couture vs. Lesnar was for the title and would be a five-round fight. The winner of that fight will face the winner of December's Antonio Nogueira vs. Frank Mir in an eventual unification match.

Dana said this would be the biggest fight in UFC history and predicted over 1 million buys. He said they wanted to set up a fight with Fedor but he was under contract with another company and they weren't going to do any tampering. He said he would be appalled if Affliction was still in business by January, and if the company is dead they wouldn't have to worry about contracts.

They also asked Brock about whether he'd fight Fedor and Brock, who was getting pissed off about all the Fedor questions by this point, screamed and I quote, "Who give a **** about Fedor? I'm sick of hearing about ****ing Fedor. He's not with the company, he might not ever be with the company, so who gives a ****?" Brock is a fantastic heel. Dana also said they were looking at a two or three episode 24/7-style series on Spike to build this up.

^^ Would you say Brock would fulfil the heel role for this fight? I read an article by Paul Heyman on Brock and he was saying Brock would be a great heel for UFC.

Is it likely that Brock will play the heel role with Couture as the returning good guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?

Brock is great.

• Advertisement

^^ Would you say Brock would fulfil the heel role for this fight? I read an article by Paul Heyman on Brock and he was saying Brock would be a great heel for UFC.

Is it likely that Brock will play the heel role with Couture as the returning good guy?

I really doubt that Brock will act like a heel to Couture at all. Couture acted completely respectful of Brock during the conference and I'd say Brock will be the same towards him. He definitely won't be doing that rodeo stuff like he did to Herring

Brock's going to be the heel to the MMA fans who don't like pro wrestling though, and he'll probably play that up to some degree in the build up. You might see him insult the fans who don't think that he deserves a title shot, but you won't see him insult Couture

That's my take

Advertisement