Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesnar versus Couture..it's official!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote: »
    I really doubt that Brock will act like a heel to Couture at all. Couture acted completely respectful of Brock during the conference and I'd say Brock will be the same towards him. He definitely won't be doing that rodeo stuff like he did to Herring

Brock's going to be the heel to the MMA fans who don't like pro wrestling though, and he'll probably play that up to some degree in the build up. You might see him insult the fans who don't think that he deserves a title shot, but you won't see him insult Couture

That's my take

Yeah that would seem to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Is it likely that Brock will play the heel role with Couture as the returning good guy?

Brock won't have to try too hard. He'll naturally be the heel given their respective backrounds ( pro-wrestler versus MMA fighter), their ages (Brock younger by about 15 years) and their natural personalities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Brock won't have to try too hard. He'll naturally be the heel given their respective backrounds ( pro-wrestler versus MMA fighter), their ages (Brock younger by about 15 years) and their natural personalities.

Not to mention there is a lot of head the ball hardcore MMA fans who still think Brock is a gimmick, fake pro wrestler.

It's a big money maker but lets be honest Dana is making the match to teach randy a lesson...if Brock loses it'll be disasterous when randy's next contract comes around

Going back to this point Randy wanted to fight Lesnar when negoiations began with UFC by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Never watched UFC or MMA ever before but I know enough through word-of-mouth to know that this is a huge fight, I'm not going to miss this. Who knew Setanta was good for more than just soccer.:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

fancy the natural to win inside the distance

how many times will rogen and goldberg mention lesnar's glove size throughout the fight? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I have never really bothered to get into MMA, but i have watched a few matches and that.

But i do know Coutures name, i know he's a big guy. (in popularity)
    And obviously Brocks too.

So i really am thinking about watching this, but is it exclusive to setanta, or is it through box office?

I would say simply, can you usually watch them online, but last time i done that was for mania 24, and then i downloaded it.
    And i do not want a bill that much again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

So i really am thinking about watching this, but is it exclusive to setanta, or is it through box office?

If you have NTL or Sky Digital you can subscribe to Setanta for about €10 a month (that's what it is on NTL Digital anyway). There's no extra charge for the show after that, it'll just be on one of the regular Setanta Sports channels

Only other way to watch it would be online, but we can't talk about that here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Yes we can. If you have eircom broadband you get Setanta free online. So you can watch it that way. Plus you can see repeats.

If you have NTL or Sky Digital you can subscribe to Setanta for about €10 a month (that's what it is on NTL Digital anyway). There's no extra charge for the show after that, it'll just be on one of the regular Setanta Sports channels

Only other way to watch it would be online, but we can't talk about that here

Thanks Foz, but the idea of adding a channel to my sky for one show might be a bit too much hassle for me to really bother with.
    Like its not as if im getting anything else i'd be interested in as i dont like football :o

I'll have a look about for any other ways that we cant talk about what were not supposed to talk about and find it somewhere on some dumb ass American forum or something.

Cheers anyway

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Yes we can. If you have eircom broadband you get Setanta free online. So you can watch it that way. Plus you can see repeats.

Isn't that just Setanta Sports Ireland? UFC will be on Setanta Sports 1, a subscribers-only channel

You get Setanta Sports Ireland on NTL Digital for free anyway

EDIT: I just checked, it is Setanta Sports Ireland. They haven't shown a UFC event or repeat on that channel yet as far as I know, only The Ultimate Fighter reruns. So you won't be seeing Brock on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Didn't realise that. Thats what i get for being a smart arse I suppose

I listened to the audio of the press conference this morning and it really struck me how 90% of the media seemed to have no clue about how big the fight is gonna be.

Every second question seemed to be related to the whole Randy versus Fedor issue, eventually leading Brock to get really angry.

Here's Dana Whites video blog for the day. The Lesnar flip out on Fedor comes near the end:

There goes 5 minutes i will never see again.

From Yahoo MMA:
    Couture's better half says she feels sorry for Lesnar

By Steve Cofield

Randy Couture is coming back to the UFC for a major fight on Nov. 15. Brock Lesnar's big victory over Heath Herring must've piqued the interest of the exiled heavyweight champ, right? Couture's wife, Kim said the fight against Lesnar wasn't Randy's idea at all. She said it was the UFC's idea all the way. Once the fight was presented, Couture jumped at the opportunity to take on the explosive but inexperienced Lesnar.

"It's surprising to me, shocking that they'd throw a guy in there with only three fights. I kind of feel sorry for the guy. He poses some interesting problems but that's what Randy is good at, is taking care of those problems. He's no bigger or tougher than (Gabe) Gonzaga or Tim Sylvia."

Kim also said the couple hasn't even seen the Lesnar victory over Herring yet.

She also threw out another interesting nugget in saying that there really is no major blockade to making a Randy v. Fedor Emelianenko fight. The prevailing thought was that UFC would have to work something out with Fedor's current employer, Affliction. According to Kim, that's not the case.

"When Fedor signed the contract (with Affliction) it was cut out in the contract that they get him for a certain number of fights not including the Randy Couture fight. He's free to fight Randy wherever, whenever."

Randy left Las Vegas for the New York area on Tuesday night. He'll be doing a brief media tour to promote the Lesnar fight. That includes an appearance today on ESPN. From there, he'll head to Atlanta where he is cornering Martin Kampmann for his fight against Nate Marquardt at UFC 88.

There's a few things that I want to pick apart in that article but I don't feel like it now. I can't say that I've taken a liking to Kim :pac:

There's a few things that I want to pick apart in that article but I don't feel like it now. I can't say that I've taken a liking to Kim :pac:

She might feel a little less sorry for Brock once she watches his fight against Herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

is UFC not shown on bravo as well?

ec18 wrote: »
    is UFC not shown on bravo as well?

Not since June

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cannot wait to see this fight. It's going to be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Not since June

Yeah, Setanta got the exclusive rights to it at the beginning of the year, the contract with Bravo ended in June. Prior to that Setanta had the rights to broadcast the UK events live.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

She sure knows her stuff eh?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

It's gonna be a great contest.Looing forward to Chuck Liddell and Rashad Evans this weekend as well...should be a classic

Lesnar has not impressed me in UFC at all, sure he's on a learning curve. But sticking him in there with a guy as experienced as Couture, a guy who has been known to break bones in his hand and still keep on punching?

Sorry, but i think Lesnar is going to get absolutely destroyed in this fight.
    And i'm psyched for it personally. :)

VR!

Sorry, but i think Lesnar is going to get absolutely destroyed in this fight.

That's the opinion of most MMA fans, at least the ones who have an inferiority complex towards wrestling anyway! The interesting thing is that it was reported in the Observer last week that a lot of important people within the UFC view Lesnar as the favourite. The first betting lines that I saw had Couture as the favourite though, but it was close

That's the opinion of most MMA fans, at least the ones who have an inferiority complex towards wrestling anyway! The interesting thing is that it was reported in the Observer last week that a lot of important people within the UFC view Lesnar as the favourite. The first betting lines that I saw had Couture as the favourite though, but it was close

I'm just looking a it from an impartial point of view, as i'm not what one would class as a diehard MMA fan (only been watching UFC since the beginning of last year), but Lesnar's UFC records stands at two losses against, for all intents and purposes, down and outers, for the want of a better term.

Couture's been gone for a while now, but he's proved that he can take a bit of time off and come back with a bang. All Lesnar has proved since his UFC debut is that he can hit a few people but can't defend to save his life.

And people think he stands a chance against the likes of Couture? Unless Brock either learns defense real quick, or catches Randy on a bad day, his chances are slim in my honest opinion.

VR!

And people think he stands a chance against the likes of Couture? Unless Brock either learns defense real quick

What kinds of defense? On the feet, we just don't know a whole lot about Brock other than he's knocked his last 2 opponents down. He's yet to be hit. Randy on the other hand has shown good skills on the feet in his last two fights but prior to that had been knocked out in 2 of his last 3 fights.

On the ground, Mir got him but Couture would not have anywhere near the submission proficiency Mir does while against Herring, Lesnar was never in trouble on the ground.

And when it comes to wrestling, Lesnar would seem not to be at a disadvantage either.

I think it's a really close fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Im going to say it now, Brock is going to DESTROY Randy.

By DESTROY I mean dominate for how ever long the fight lasts.

• Advertisement

dancor wrote: »
    Im going to say it now, Brock is going to DESTROY Randy.

By DESTROY I mean dominate for how ever long the fight lasts.

Mike Coughlin would be proud of your depth of analysis. He isnt wrestling Savage, you know right?:pac:

Advertisement