Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesnar versus Couture..it's official!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Dragan wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. Remember the pounding that Pedro Hizzo put on Randy and he kept going? Randy can take an amount of damage and still stay fighting, age or no.

I know people think experience might be overcome by power but at the end of the day Randy has a huge amount of experience of hurting people in the Cage, Brock does not, Randy has experience being on the wrong end of a bad situation, Brock does not.

I still think Randy only needs to get Brock into one bad situation and he will end it. I think Brock will have to get Randy into one and keep him there for some time to end it. I am by no means convinced of Brocks ability to finish while i am completely convinced of Randy's ability to survive.

I think the later rounds suit Couture a lot more.

Agree with your point about Brock's ability to finish. He should have easily put Heath Herring away and the fact that it went the distance was more due to the fact that Brock couldn't finish him than anything Herring did.

Also Mir proved that when Brock is dominant he can leave himself open, one fight will not change that habit so I can see chances for Randy to submit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm not so sure. Remember the pounding that Pedro Hizzo put on Randy and he kept going? Randy can take an amount of damage and still stay fighting, age or no.

I'm not writing Randy off at all. However if Lesnar destroys him in the first 2 rounds it's going to be very, very hard for Randy in my opinion. I think that if Randy is to win he can't afford to take too much damage.

To me the latter rounds will suit the person who dominates the initial three. Although I would say that if it's an even fight going down the stretch I would favor Randy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Holyfield to challenge Valuev for WBA title

Evander Holyfield will attempt to become the oldest WBA heavyweight champion, according to reports that he has accepted an offer to fight current champion Nikolay Valuev.

According to the report on ESPN.com, the fight will take place in either Switzerland or Germany in late December.

A four-time heavyweight champion, Holyfield would become the oldest fighter to win the crown if he defeats Valuev.

He turns 46 on October 19 and has not fought since losing a unanimous decision to Sultan Ibragimov, the then-WBO heavyweight champion, on October 13, 2007.

Holyfield, who stands at six foot two inches, will have a large size disadvantage against the seven-foot Valuev, who weighs over 300 pounds.

Holyfield has never eclipsed the 220-pound mark for a fight in his career.

Valuev (49-1, 34 KOs) has won his last three bouts, including a unanimous decision over John Ruiz on August 30 to claim the vacant belt.

This dynamic is vaguely familiar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

cowzerp wrote: »
    Randy has more stamina than both herring and mir, thats what his best attribute is in my opinion. If it goes 2 plus rounds then lesnar is ruined.

Is this based on the three rounds he easily went with Herring?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Dave Meltzers office~!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I think the later rounds suit Couture a lot more.

I think Randy will win, simply because every time I think he will lose he doesn't, consistently.

However, don't forget his losses to Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez, both of these heavyweight losses were because they were bigger men, and controlling them, but being unable to finish them tired him out, then in the late rounds they were able to turn the tables and put the hurt on the Natural.

Brock is bigger and stronger than both of those guys, but is less experienced. I think the key to Randy's success is getting control early and pounding on him. If it goes to rounds 4 or 5 I expect it to swing back to Brock's favor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

However, don't forget his losses to Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez, both of these heavyweight losses were because they were bigger men, and controlling them, but being unable to finish them tired him out, then in the late rounds they were able to turn the tables and put the hurt on the Natural.

Brock is bigger and stronger than both of those guys, but is less experienced. I think the key to Randy's success is getting control early and pounding on him. If it goes to rounds 4 or 5 I expect it to swing back to Brock's favor.

It's a very different Randy since he fought those two guys though. If anything, Randy is far less of a brute strength wrestler now and has refined his game. Remember, Randy has consistantly trained at a very high level in wrestling , competing in various Comps in between his fights.

I don't think any difficulty handling Brock will come from his size, i think it will be an issue of his power in wrestling. I mean, the guy really is a ****ing monster.

I'm wondering how early in the fight Randy can hurt Brock, for me that will be very telling. If the first round ends and Brock hasn't been hit hard then i will start to feel worried for Randy. I completely agree with you that if he can bloody him up in the first it will stall Brock a little bit.

Is this based on the three rounds he easily went with Herring?

:rolleyes:

It's easy to go three rounds when you're on top controlling a guy and taking little to no risks in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Time makes fools of us all, Randy is no different

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »
    Time makes fools of us all, Randy is no different

Don't tell me you are losing faith in the Natural?

He's the only man who will end up double legging Death when he shows up for him.

It's easy to go three rounds when you're on top controlling a guy and taking little to no risks in fairness.

You think holding down a guy as big and experienced as Herring for three rounds is easy?

I think anyone banking on Lesnar gassing is deluding themselves.

Don't tell me you are losing faith in the Natural?

He's the only man who will end up double legging Death when he shows up for him.

:D

I want him to in so badly, but no one can explain to me how its supposed to happen.

:D

I want him to in so badly, but no one can explain to me how its supposed to happen.

I'm wondering if Randy is working on his jumping knee? Think about it, Lesnar goes for the take down in the first and BAM!

Now that would be some awesome ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I think anyone banking on Lesnar winning is deluding themselves.

Fixed that for ya, pal.

Youth, Power and Confidence is no substitute for the experience Randy is bringing to the table. Said it before and will say it again, Couture will knock Brock's block off.

Randy by front choke off the shot. Round 1 or 2. That's how its gonna happen. Just watch. I'm bein serious. Same one he got on Mike van Arsdale (after 3 or 4 attempts! :P)

You think holding down a guy as big and experienced as Herring for three rounds is easy?

I think anyone banking on Lesnar gassing is deluding themselves.

Have you seen Herrings fight with Jake O'Brien? I said long before the Herring Lesnar fight that the fight would go that way and that's exactly how it went. Herring struggles with wrestlers. Plain and simple.

Herring struggles with wrestlers.

Doesnt Randy also struggle with wrestlers.....

Doesnt Randy also struggle with wrestlers.....

Just the big ones.

Oh ****!

Just the big ones.

Oh ****!

Mike van Arsdale baby! Thats how its goin down! :pac::D

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya, pal.

Youth, Power and Confidence is no substitute for the experience Randy is bringing to the table. Said it before and will say it again, Couture will knock Brock's block off.

I didn't say Brock is going to win, just that people are giving silly reasons for why they think he'll lose.
    Have you seen Herrings fight with Jake O'Brien? I said long before the Herring Lesnar fight that the fight would go that way and that's exactly how it went. Herring struggles with wrestlers. Plain and simple.

Regardless of Herring struggling with wrestlers or not, it's still not easy to hold him down for three rounds.

I didn't say Brock is going to win, just that people are giving silly reasons for why they think he'll lose.

I know dude, i was just bustin' your balls. I don't think Brock will be gassed out, this is a former NCAA champion we're talking about here. I just think Brock is just too early in his MMA career to be fed to Couture. Couture, mild mannered as he is, once the cage door is closed, hello Demolition Man!

That said, Brock will be able to take a lot of what Randy will dish out, which is what will be his downfall, because Randy will dish it out all night if he has to, he's done it before. And before people go on about Randy's age, bear in mind he's nearly 8 years older than Chuck Liddell, and in ten times better shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Randy Couture is the UFC fighter I would least like to fight ever. Other guys like Chuck, Alves etc. will just knock you TFO, and guys like Nog will submit you - but Couture just brings on the elbows and the general pain and wears you down over time. Horrible way to lose a fight I'd say.

I predict Couture to take this via a brutal decision win, and Lesnar to never be mentally the same again.

t-ha wrote: »
    Randy Couture is the UFC fighter I would least like to fight ever. Other guys like Chuck, Alves etc. will just knock you TFO, and guys like Nog will submit you - but Couture just brings on the elbows and the general pain and wears you down over time. Horrible way to lose a fight I'd say.

Nail on the head. Given some of his previous fights, including his losses. It would appear that you do not come out of the cage in a fight with Randy the same person you were as you went in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Where can us Irish see this event ? Do Bravo still show them the day after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Where can us Irish see this event ? Do Bravo still show them the day after ?

Setanta Sports have exclusive rights to UFC shows. They show them live and the day after. You have to subscribe to Setanta to see the shows

Fozzy wrote: »
    Setanta Sports have exclusive rights to UFC shows. They show them live and the day after. You have to subscribe to Setanta to see the shows

Cheers, site's a bit confusing and I'm on the lousy NTL. From the looks of it it seems that we pay €20 versus the Brits paying £10-£13 ? I smell a rip off. Ah well........ Are there any pubs that show the fights ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cheers, site's a bit confusing and I'm on the lousy NTL. From the looks of it it seems that we pay €20 versus the Brits paying £10-£13 ? I smell a rip off. Ah well........ Are there any pubs that show the fights ?

A rip off? Don't forget that we have programmes on Setanta Ireland that viewers in the UK don't get. Setanta Ireland is not even on cable in the UK.

Would you like some cheese with that whine? Seriously. With the way the exchange rate is going atm £13 is nearly €17 anyway! If you wanna complain about 3 quid, have one drink less in the pub!

Also as Mossy said, Setantas package has a bit more over here than the UK.

Setanta actually do a better job with the UFC than Bravo did, Bravo's picture quality wasn't the best, wasn't in widescreen and on top of that, they blurred out bits and bobs like sponsors and stuff. It was horrible.

• Advertisement

Ok, that's me told :pac:

So this free Setanta channel we get on our basic ntl package, does that have any UFC ?

Advertisement