Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesnar versus Couture..it's official!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Cheers, site's a bit confusing and I'm on the lousy NTL. From the looks of it it seems that we pay €20 versus the Brits paying £10-£13 ? I smell a rip off. Ah well........ Are there any pubs that show the fights ?

It was actually €10 a month to subscribe to Setanta on NTL up until recently. Now it's €18. It's still €20 for Sky customers I think
    Ok, that's me told :pac:

So this free Setanta channel we get on our basic ntl package, does that have any UFC ?

It has a highlights show most nights I think. Check the tv listings. I think they show fights from a good while back. I think there's also some sort of discussion show once a week. I've haven't seen it yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Setanta is €20 per month for Sky customers. My sky package for something like 500 channels (i don't know how many of the shaggin things there are) is €33 per month. I think Rip Off is a fair description.

.....but then I'm still a little sore that they stole my free UFC from bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

.....but then I'm still a little sore that they stole my free UFC from bravo.

grrr i feel your pain:mad: i have no problem payin for setanta but where i live i get sky reception but no setanta reception because of the direction the dish is pointin :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Sunday morning can't come quick enough for me after watching this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Sunday morning can't come quick enough for me after watching this.

+1

• Advertisement

That's interesting. The Countdown shows are always geared towards making you believe that the underdog has a real chance of winning. And by the looks of that, it's all about Randy winning, which would mean that the official UFC line is that Brock is the favourite (although it was initially reported that most key people in the UFC favoured Brock anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Brock's "he's too old" comment is silly. What the hell like ?

Dana White saying it's going to be the best fight ever is a bit over-zealous. The most hyped fight perhaps.

Brock's "he's too old" comment is silly. What the hell like ?

What's so silly about it? Randy's 45, Brock's building up a fight
    Dana White saying it's going to be the best fight ever is a bit over-zealous. The most hyped fight perhaps.

Up until this week there has been surprisingly little hype for the fight. It was just mentioned in some short ads on their last show, they didn't even interview Randy who was actually there

Until this week ESPN had promoted this fight much better than the UFC. The UFC's sort of dropped the ball with the Countdown show too, they originally planned a three part series, then they decided on a two hour special, but now it's just a regular one hour show. I'm not expecting it to crack a million buys at all now when I did initially. I thought that they'd have hyped the hell out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

They have decided to forgoe the publicity blitz, thinking it will sell itself. I am sceptical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

[HTML][/HTML]
    dunkamania wrote: »
    They have decided to forgoe the publicity blitz, thinking it will sell itself. I am sceptical.

Me too.

I know some of you will scoff at what seems to be a Wrestling podcast but this show has some really good coverage of the big fight:
    FREE TODAY! Nov. 11 Wrestling Observer Radio: Brock v Randy, Raw rundown, WWE firings, TNA, more
    It is now officially comedy. Robot Bryan Alvarez debuts tonight alongside Dave Meltzer to talk a number of subjects including Lesnar vs. Couture (with detailed predictions!), Raw from the UK with Michaels vs. Jericho and Santino losing his title, new matches for Survivor Series, idiocy at the TNA tapings, comparisons to WCW, the latest WWE firings, and tons more. Replacement BRAND NEW phone-in equipment will arrive on Wednesday and I will go as far as to GUARANTEE that all of my audio problems will be solved -- otherwise I'm shutting down the website. The good news is that this show is FREE, so please feel free to post the link or file elsewhere and help spread the word about wrestlingobserver.com!

http://media001.f4wonline.com/free/111108wo.mp3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Just watched the clip there.

Tingles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The news sites are reporting that Amir Sadollah is off of the card because of a leg infection. It's too late to find an opponent for Nick Catone so Hazelett vs McCrory is moved to the main card

That's a pity. Amir's one of the guys on that card that people would have been looking forward to seeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Fozzy wrote: »
    The news sites are reporting that Amir Sadollah is off of the card because of a leg infection. It's too late to find an opponent for Nick Catone so Hazelett vs McCrory is moved to the main card

That's a pity. Amir's one of the guys on that card that people would have been looking forward to seeing
    Can't say I was looking forward to watch him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Can't say I was looking forward to watch him tbh

I was looking forward to seeing him fight. He was a sound skin in his TUF days and I was looking forward to seeing how his training was morphing him for the big leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Might as well go with predictions for the fight here:

I think Lesnar will win and it will be a stoppage in the second or third round. I hope I am very wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Ok Vince, I'll say Couture by doctors stoppage or decision. Randy will dirty box Brock back to the drawing board.

Brock, first round TKO by ground and pound

Only way I see Randy winning is by keeping his distance standing or by a fluke submission. If they get close Brock will take him down and I'm sure that he's got the better conditioning too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was going to put up a poll as a new thread, but meh. I am going for Couture to win it in the third.

Not going to see it until Sunday evening, so am not even going to go near an internet all day Sunday in case stumble upon it. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Only way I see Randy winning is by keeping his distance standing or by a fluke submission. If they get close Brock will take him down and I'm sure that he's got the better conditioning too

I think you are looking at the fight with pro wrestling tinted glasses. Brock has great wrestling but so does Randy, he wont concede cheap takedowns like Herring did. I'd give the edge in conditioning to Couture, but not by much, Brock has a good engine. Strength definitely goes to Brock and that can be his trump card. Randy has better stand up and submissions and experience. I can see Brock win but no way is he doing it in the first round. Couture will win by dirty boxing his way to a decision or cut stoppage, mark my words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Brock to win by rear naked choke in the third.

I think you are looking at the fight with pro wrestling tinted glasses.

Thought I'd get that :pac: I amn't
    Brock has great wrestling but so does Randy, he wont concede cheap takedowns like Herring did.

Randy's been taken down before, and by guys smaller than Brock. I really don't think that Brock will face a massive challenge to get Couture down if he does get within range for a takedown
    I'd give the edge in conditioning to Couture, but not by much, Brock has a good engine.

I'd disagree completely there. Brock is much better conditioned. Couture was very tired during the Sylvia fight, and Sylvia wasn't imposing his weight on Randy like Brock is likely to do. The only way I can see Brock ending up more tired is if Randy manages to keep dodging him on the feet. Also, the 14 year age gap has to be taken into account
    Couture will win by dirty boxing his way to a decision or cut stoppage, mark my words.

We'll see :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Brock to win by rear naked choke in the third.
    I would be shocked if Brock managed to sub Randy. I can see him smashing Randy apart with his fists, but not a sub victory. Randy is too skilled to get caught by someone as green as Brock, in my opinion. Who knows though?

I'm predicting a third round ground and pound victory for Randy Couture. Wow, round, ground, pound. Can a better sound can't be found? I'll look around.

Okay, that post was the single lamest thing I've ever done. Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Can't see Lesnar winning it in the first, he should have put Herring away in the first but he seems to lack the killer instinct to finish his fights.

Agree with you bout Couture though, his best chance lies in a lucky submission like Mir got him with.

Can't see Lesnar winning it in the first, he should have put Herring away in the first but he seems to lack the killer instinct to finish his fights.

Did he look like he lacked the killer instinct before the ref stopped him when Mir turned the back of his head into a punch? Or in his first fight?

On the Countdown show one of Brock's coaches said that Brock executed the gameplan against Herring perfectly. They said that the plan was to dominate and control him. Maybe they're just saying that, who knows. But Brock talked about how he basically wanted to humiliate Herring after the things Heath's camp had said about him. So there is a reasonable explanation for why Brock mightn't have looked to finish that fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I seeing it going one of two ways...Rock in round one by ref stoppage from serious g n p or Randy late in the 5th/decision(isn this a 5 rounder since its for the belt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

yes it is, i'd say randy in the 3rd by elbows to the head gnp!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I'm goin for Couture by front choke.

Fozzy you're taking physical attributes far far too much into consideration.

I'd say that Randy has shown himself to be at least as equally conditioned.

Brocks chin hasn't been tested. Brocks sub defence has been tested once and he failed the test. Brocks bottom game hasn't been tested. Brocks heart hasn't been tested. Randy has been tested, the only one he's been shown to fail was his bottom game, and that was more than 5 years ago. by all accounts and from what we see Randys knowledge of submissions is top notch.

Randy also has the biggest asset of all....experience and ring time. He knows how he'll be in the fire, Brock doesn't.

He's an unproven quantity with serious potential but only 3 fights.

I think Brock will dive in for a take down with his head too low, same way he has done in his other 3 fights, Randy will lock his head up, roll him and finish the choke, same one he got on Mike van Arsdale (albeit after 3 or 4 tries!! Bloody staph infection!)

• Advertisement

What time does it start at on Setanta sports on saturday night(sunday morning)??

Advertisement