Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesnar versus Couture..it's official!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Everyone's going to have to put up with rovert bragging now :pac:

It will be the same with all of the Lesnar fans on this board. I predicted Randy to win but I did not discount Lesnar at all. He has good cardio and is strong. He can beat everyone at HW except Nogeira and Fedor, those two are just bad match ups for him ATM with his submission defence were it is now. In 2 years though he could rip both apart. Provided Nogeira wins against Mir I think Nogeira will get a sub off his back against Brock, either a triangle, armbar or guillotine. I am starting to like Lesnar a lot more, he can be a great of the MMA game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I don't take anything away from Brock either, he landed a big elbow on him early in the second round along with knee about a minute later. Those clubbing fists looked vicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

amull87 wrote: »
    Definitely got rid of his "fake fighter" name

Just check out Sherdog. Only for a short time though, you'll lose your mind at the nonsense being posted there

Randy never took Brock down, did he? Randy did defend the takedown well for most of the fight though

Very good show

And just for the record, Randy looked more tired to me after the first round :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

amull87 wrote: »
    I didn't think he "destroyed" Couture by any means, thought Randy had the first round and start o the second

I'll have to disagree with you there; I thought Brock won the first round quite easily. It was a very solid victory (that went against my prediction!), and I wish him well.

Good fight, and a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think Nogeira will get a sub off his back against Brock, either a triangle, armbar or guillotine. I am starting to like Lesnar a lot more, he can be a great of the MMA game.

That's what I had been thinking, but Brock looked a lot better on his feet this time round. If he keeps it standing against Nogueira (which he should be able to do) then he could be in with a real chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That's that then. Time for bed unless they show a fight from the undercard

Hope you didn't go straight to bed after the main event! The fight Setanta showed just after it (Kiely v Brazilian lad) was the fight of the night in my opinion. Very enjoyable 3 hours of fights though!

Fozzy wrote: »

And just for the record, Randy looked more tired to me after the first round :pac:

I don't know about that. With about 30seconds left in the 1st round Brock looked up at the clock and you could either say he looked tired or looked fed up at being in that position that Couture holds guys. I remember in one of the Couture/Lidell fights he had Chuck up against the fence quite a lot and Lidell was just standing there protesting to the ref that he wasn't doing anything.

I'd say Brock one the first round too , he controleld Couture on the mat for most of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fozzy wrote: »
    That's what I had been thinking, but Brock looked a lot better on his feet this time round. If he keeps it standing against Nogueira (which he should be able to do) then he could be in with a real chance

Possibly, but Nogeira always gets people to the ground and subs them at some stage of a fight. I'd give the edge to Nogeira 60/40.

Lesnar, 4 fights, and already he is a top 3 HW (only behind Fedor and Nogeira IMO) that is some achievement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Everyone's going to have to put up with rovert bragging now :pac:

You are. :D

Pro Wrestling is the No.1 fighting style in the world now.
    It will be the same with all of the Lesnar fans on this board.

This will only be in counter to the Sherdogesque "fake fighter" crowd.

I've not read sherdog, has anyone any links to humourous posts ?

Lesnar beat him clean, I've re-watched the fight a couple of times. I don't think Lesnar's game or style is without it's weak points but that's for another day/fight/thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Good card for finishes, thought Hazlett as always looked unbelievably good off his back and had some good stand up exchanges with McCrory. Really disappointed with Joe Stevenson, I trained a lot with him my first trip out in the states, great wrestler and underrated Jiu Jitsu but looked out of sorts. I just dont like Kenny Florian, and to be honest cant see him going a round with BJ on the feet or on the ground so where he goes from there I dont know. If BJ actually cared about the upcoming challenge, you would have seen him get in the ring when "kenflo" made his challenge, I dont think BJ rates him and I thought Joe made him look good.

Randy was the only reason I stayed up to watch this card, rather than download it, once you hit mid 30s you got to go with Randy no matter who he is fighting, the guy is a legend and a true gentleman. Having said that, UFC all access at least put Brock in a better light than when he first moved from pro wrestling. I think his work ethic alone will make him very hard to beat, although I see someone with decent leg kicks being able to cause him some problems. I actually think Gonzaga would be a bad match up for him before you even go down the road of Nog (who will beat Mir the egomaniac) or Fedor.

Gurgel v Reilly was superb.

PARTY TIME
    10wn1wl.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

someone said brock hit him in the temple? Since when is the back of the head the temple?! Fair punch as randy ducked into it and it was not brock's fault, but that g n p was awful. Someone should show him how to do it.

I've not read sherdog, has anyone any links to humourous posts ?

Lesnar beat him clean, I've re-watched the fight a couple of times. I don't think Lesnar's game or style is without it's weak points but that's for another day/fight/thread.

Well you asked
    there goes the legitimacy of the sport
    God what a ****ing joke... Dana bashed EliteXC for Kimbo but how is Lesnar all that much different...
    This is really disappointing. I hate when a huge dude wins with no technique and just superior size and strength. It's Kerr all over again but bigger.

The other annoying thing is the guy is two weight classes above Randy. It's like GSP versus Rampage or Kenflo against Dan Henderson.
    could the undertaker train basketball for a few years and beat kobe bryant? could steven segal train boxing for a few years and beat roy jones jr? thats what just happened to the ufc. how ****ing embarassing. every mmaist now has their skill thrown into question. we're going to get laughed at for a long ass time...
    wats next undertaker vs liddell
    meh **** the ufc man **** this **** im outta here, not an mma fan anymore, i know that you guys dont give a **** but im pissed as hell....see ya guys
    Ah. I kinda hate the UFC right now.
    Man there should be some weight limit this is just ****ing crazy
    His sheer notoriety as a WWE wrestler and prior stardom is the ONLY reason he slid into the UFC so easily. He has potential but I see a lot of mistakes and amateurishness in his game. With that being said I think I should of had a few more fights under his belt before he was offered a title shot. I think Randy did a good job either way even though he lost. Im just wondering who will Brock fight next. Id love to see Brock fight Gonzaga.
    no, theres tons of talented wrestlers who didnt and cant amount to **** in the sport. he had wrestling experience 10 years ago, got kicked off an nfl team and wanders over to mma and takes the belt in a couple years. a big guy with wrestling experience can train for a few years and take the belt off the best the ufc has to offer. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD the ufc and everyone in it looks like a ****ing joke now to the rest of the world.

rovert wrote: »
    Well you asked

Jesus, they're some funny posts!

This is teh winna of teh intrntz :
    sherdog wrote:
    could the undertaker train basketball for a few years and beat kobe bryant? could steven segal train boxing for a few years and beat roy jones jr? thats what just happened to the ufc. how ****ing embarassing. every mmaist now has their skill thrown into question. we're going to get laughed at for a long ass time...

I don't get it at all to be honest. The UFC and Dana White took the WWF model of how they presented their product . Their product of course being a legit sport! It's in fact on 1 of them "Ultimate Submissions/knockout" dvds where White even says as such. UFC was aiming to be more fun and faster than boxing and a real legit sport compared to pro wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭judomick

Brock was NCAA div1 all american champ, i think people are forgetting this coupled with his size and speed, if brock came straight to MMA from college wrestling people would just think **** this guys got a knack for fighting, yes the wwe connection is annoying but hes got the real credentials to be a top fighter

judomick wrote: »
    Brock was NCAA div1 all american champ, i think people are forgetting this coupled with his size and speed, if brock came straight to MMA from college wrestling people would just think **** this guys go a knack for fighting, yes th wwe connection is annoying but hes got the real credentials to be a genuine fighter

There has been numerous people who have fought and wrestled same times at the same time especially in Japan. Pro Wrestlers are tougher than people give them credit for.

To add on to your point Brock had a decent run trying to break into the NFL. Brock is an otherworldly type of athlete

Someone on Sherdog has this in their sig
    A piece of my soul has died today - 11/15/2008

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

I dont quite get your point. High School and College wrestling are unbelievably challenging sports, I would go so far as to say freestyle and greco wrestlers are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. Brock was top of the food chain in college wrestling going NCAA all american, thats not only the best at his weight in his college, his college division, state but the whole of the US.

I dont watch pro wrestling but I can admire the athleticism involved in pulling off some of the moves "without" seriously hurting the "opponent". Ken shamrock one of the pioneers of MMA was in prowrestling first, Don Frye has dabbled, not to mention Sakuraba or Alexander Otsuka. These guys do it to make money, they dont think its real or anything of the sort. Its pure patomime entertainment for 8 year olds and 8 year olds in 40 year old bodies.

Why would anyone be embarrassed a highly conditioned, highly decorated collegiate wrestler with outstanding athleticism would beat another highly decorated, highly conditioned greco wrestler for an MMA title with a TKO stoppage due to strikes?

Oh and steven seagal is a wife beating scumbag who was choked unconscious by Gene Le Bell so no I dont think he could beat roy jones jnr, maybe roys wife though.

That post was from another forum that specializes in MMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Shit, I managed to stay up until about 2:30am when I fell asleep in a drunken stupor.:mad: I spent the past hour unsuccessfully trying to find it online.:pac: Was it a close fight?

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Shit, I managed to stay up until about 2:30am when I fell asleep in a drunken stupor.:mad: I spent the past hour unsuccessfully trying to find it online.:pac: Was it a close fight?

There were a few youtube videos that went up, I'm assuming they've since been taken down. Try justin.tv

I wouldn't say it was a close fight. Brock was on top of Randy for most of round 1 and then in round 2 hit him with a knee,elbow and then punch to the temple. Randy fell instantly after the punch and then brock hopped on him and pounded him with clubbing fists , juts like what he did to Mir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Well the fight certainly went how i thought it would go.Brock has proven that he does belong in MMA.I wont rub any salt into the wounds of those who were backing randy,the footage says alot really

Track down the post fight press conference it was great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I wouldn't say it was a close fight.

I thought it was close up until the stoppage. I had Brock edging it but Couture was competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Wow - I was backing Randy all the way for this. Did not expect Brock to get the better of the stand-up exchanges. Sweet elbow - probably the turning point of the fight tbh.

I thought it was close up until the stoppage. I had Brock edging it but Couture was competitive.

At first that's what I thought as well but upon rewatching it a few times I think Brock floored him. I was rooting for Randy, I love the guy but as I said, Brock had control in round 1, got in a crackin knee then elbow and then right punch to temple in round 2. Randy didn't do terrible, he controlled brock at the fence in that inimitable Randy style where he just stands there with you holding you. Randy I believe stood up after Brock had him down (very Liddell-esque) then almost had Brock's back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Randy was in control for a while I think, he was lookin good too. But when they were wrestling it just looked like he was trying to grapple a whale.

bombidol wrote: »
    Randy was in control for a while I think, he was lookin good too. But when they were wrestling it just looked like he was trying to grapple a whale.

:D hahah :D

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

this win for brock sets him up for a 2nd go at Mir should he win @ ufc 92 , which i for one would love to see

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    this win for brock sets him up for a 2nd go at Mir should he win @ ufc 92 , which i for one would love to see

If I remember correctly , I think Mir got Brock's leg while Brock was trying that stompy clubbing fisty thing for the second time. Fair enough first time Mir was totally caught off guard and Brock was hammering him, but then he broke the rules and lost the mommentum. Not too sure I'd be that excited by a Mir/Lesnar rematch. Depends how he performs against Nogueira.

Advertisement