Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Band in the World Today!

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I see on BBC 6Music's site that Coldplay are up for 4 Q awards, including 'Best Band in the World Today'.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20080902_QAwardsNominations.shtml

I find that bands who hit that level of success have moved off my Radar, despite some having been on it once.

I loved Coldplay's first album, 2nd one was ok, 3rd one not interested and so on.
    That's been a pattern all my life with bands (bar The Jam who got better as they went along..... but they broke up in 1980!)

Even as a kid and the odd mish-mash bunch of bands one likes it was the same.

And so it went/goes - liked or loved the first couple of records- then monster hits and indifference from me.

Do you have a similar relationship with bands? What is it that they loose?
    From my point of view it's nothing about being big, I like big! I ain't ashamed of big.

Here's Q's lists - all good stuff (bar Bon Iver
    and Gabriella Cilmi who I don't know)

Breakthrough Artist
    Duffy
    Adele
    Santogold
    Bon Iver
    Gabriella Cilmi

Best New Act
    Fleet Foxes
    Glasvegas
    The Ting Tings
    The Last Shadow Puppets
    Vampire Weekend

Best Track
    Keane - Spiralling
    Duffy - Mercy
    Coldplay - Violet Hill
    Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl
    The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name

Best Video
    Hot Chip - Ready To The Floor
    Coldplay - Violet Hill
    The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name
    Vampire Weekend - A-Punk
    Goldfrapp - Happiness

Best Live Act
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Kings Of Leon
    Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
    The Verve
    Rage Against The Machine

Best Album
    Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death Or And All His Friends
    Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
    The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age Of The Understatement
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    Nick Cave And The Band Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!

Best Act In The World Today
    Coldplay
    Oasis
    Muse
    Metallica
    Kings Of Leon

Which of the newer lot will be making any impact on the Brewer (or your) Psyche on their 3rd album I wonder?

... and how the feck can you be 'THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD TODAY'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Paul Wellers new album is bitchin'. Nick Cave...I didn't love that album. He's doing well from the alt. revival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

fairly predictable list (not that that's a bad thing).

I like Coldplay. Loved their first album, loved their second, sort of loved their third and haven't heard the new one.

I think one band who have really shown how to do a long career properly are Radiohead.

Pablo Honey - typical breakthrough album for a rock/indie band with an epic single (Creep)

The Bends - High quality guitar album (sounds painfully dated now though) with absolute corkers of singles (high & dry, fake plastic trees, just). Hints that the band are moving to a darker place.

Ok Computer - Absolute classic, if not perfect album. Has classic pop-songs hidden in a cloak of paranoia, panic and sort of experimentalism (fitter happier etc.).

Kid A - Not a guitar anthem chorus in sight, clearly (and admittedly) influenced by Warp records' back catalogue. Turns on a whole generation of geeky indie-types onto electronic/dance music. No radio hit, no stadium belters. Just trippy beautiful electronica. Their first US Number 1 album, and not a bit of radio airplay. That's how you do it.

Amnesiac - Sort of showed that Kid A was not just a phase.

Hail To The Thief - Fantastic album bringing together the best of both Radiohead worlds. A lot of people didn't like it though. there there is probably my favourite radiohead song ever (and probably favourite song ever)

In Rainbows - Apart from all the publicity about giving it away for free (which technically is not what they did at all), it's a really great album. A lot more 'band-sounding' than maybe a few earlier ones. The dub influence is very clear, even in a musical context (listen to the drumming). I imagine a lot of Kraftwerk was listened to with this one.

But Coldplay haven't really done that. They've sort of gone from 'Indie band with nice songs' to Superstar Band, sounding uncomfortably like U2 and seeming to have lost a sense of purpose.
    But hey, on those rare occassions that I have to listen to the radio, hearing a Coldplay song is a hell of a lot better than having to endure the aural sodomy that is Chris Brown!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Never liked Coldplay, even before they turned into a second rate U2.
    Their American success greatly surprises me.
    I love the bit in "the 40 year old virgin" where the 2 guys are having a slagging match and one says "do you know how I know you're gay?, 'cause you like Coldplay"

There are many bands I used to really like but at some point didn't connect with them.
    There are not many bands around these days who have held my attention over a few albums. Some exceptions would be The Hold Steady, Porcupine Tree, Dredg, Chevelle.

Some bands have not changed at all over the years and these are usually the bands I tend to keep enjoying. Maybe it's good to know what to expect and if I want to listen to something different, I will listen to someone else.

For example, I read a great interview with Angus Young who replied to a question about the latest album (at the time) sounding like the rest with "We've been playing the same song for 20 years but it's a good song".

As for bands selling out, a friend of mine writes a punk fanzine and got to interview Dexter Holland of the offspring a few years ago when they played the Point at the height of their career. The offspring where an underground band until "pretty fly for a white guy".
    My friend asked him what he had to say about people saying the offspring had sold out to which he replied "Come to my yacht and tell me I've sold out!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Kings of Leon would be my tip.

Of course we all know the best band in the world are Wilco.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

studiorat wrote: »
    Kings of Leon would be my tip.

Of course we all know the best band in the world are Wilco.

Saw the Kings in the RDS earlier this year ....

They were slightly less interested than I was. I left before the end.
    Even the ceiling lost interest ............

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I saw Muse at Marley Park and they were pretty damn good! Thought they would have been considered for best live act...again.

Also, I would have thought Arcade Fire (brill live - saw them in radio city New York) and Sigur Ros would have been mentioned somewhere along the line, two of my favourite acts at the mo.. along with Radiohead of course!

Check out Miracle Fortress dudes - great new band, debut album: Five Roses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Saw the Kings in the RDS earlier this year ....

They were slightly less interested than I was. I left before the end.
    Even the ceiling lost interest ............

Good team on a bad day. I heard the lads were pissed off 'cause there was no horses or tractors there. About the only thing the RDS is good for going to see!

studiorat wrote: »
    About the only thing the RDS is good for going to see!
    And horsey girls in late august.
    Ah the memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Looking at recent bands I highly regard Arcade Fire, they're very original and seem to be musically intelligent and gifted. I hope they last a long time and continue to evolve and develop, but hey, they probably won't, just cos I like them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Another vote for Arcade Fire here. Radiohead... maybe, but their best days are behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

BullSh1t list if you ask me, not even a hint of Pearl Jam in there....

Feelgood wrote: »
    BullSh1t list if you ask me, not even a hint of Pearl Jam in there....

Excuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Excuse me?

Q's list looks bull**** to be honest. Best Act in the world today?. Oasis or Coldplay?. Laughable!.

Ah, I see.

And your suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

For all those bigging up the Arcade Fire as completely original, I would recommend they check out Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Airplane over the Sea".

IMHO a far superior work.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

I would have to say Muse are by far top for consitentcy of their albums and for being kick-ass live. Thought the fact that everyone namechecks them now annoys me

I would have to say Muse are by far top for consitentcy of their albums and for being kick-ass live. Thought the fact that everyone namechecks them now annoys me

jeepers completely forgot about them.

wasn't a massive fan of their last album though.

Yes I agree they do seem to be progressing. I always think that they have a natural confidence about them (judging from interviews, I don't know them) that they don't seem to be under pressure, Hugeness is what they do.

Perhaps that's what allows them to continue in an interesting fashion.

Advertisement