Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance and Accounting

• 02-09-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

I really want to do this course in Sept 09 as a mature student. Has anyone on the boards done this course or are doing it? Is there many places held for mature students? Is there many hours in the first week. Is it very hard?! Can I go on to become an accountant after? When should I apply for the course

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

http://www.nuim.ie/

Pretty much every question you asked is answered there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Ive been on the site everyday for the last week I know the parts that are on it, its more from students point of view that I wanted :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

1. You can becone an accountant after this course but you will need to do further exams with the cpa or equivalent. Alternatively you can go straight on and do these exams but with a degree you get exempt from some of these exams.

2. Its not very hard but you would probably want to refresh your self on basic maths from the leaving cert for modules such as Quantative methods. But they do teach it as if you have little or no experience beforehand.

3. Not sure about the hours you could check this on the website. guestimation 14-20 hours

4. I found that in economics they give you the topics to study for the exams. Which makes things a whole lot easier. ( and in the repeats they practically give you the exam) ;)

I have only taken a few modules from the finance coure to fill in the credits for single hounours in maths. Maynooth is a great place to study I would reccomend it but as they say "Maynooth is very easy to get into but very hard to get out of" lol

You still have a good while to think about it. Why not find out about when the open days are are check the place out.

And if you check out the su mine's a pint. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

I did the degree, best 3 years ever. Couldn't tell you about places for matures, dont think there was more than one or two in the year.

Less than 20 hours in first and the other years, personally i found it easy enough and got a 2.1 with a minimum of effort but then again I know some people who had to work very hard to scrape that.

Its designed to send people into accountancy jobs, I'm starting with a big4 firm soon and so are a good few others, and others are being sponsored to do the new accounting masters.

Any other questions about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Thanks for your help, yep I'll buy you that drink cowboy lol! Just one more question, how much were your fees for the year and was there much expence during the year from the course.. Im gonna have feck all money :( lol. I really cant wait till next sept hope i get in. Wow thats really good getting straight into a top 4 firm. I like the sound of the masters being sponsored lol. I think open day is in nov so I'll be the first one there :) oh also would it be possible to work part time in the first year and are you in full days everyday? I tried the site for timetable but can seem to find everything except this course, arts and all lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

ontour wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, yep I'll buy you that drink cowboy lol! Just one more question, how much were your fees for the year and was there much expence during the year from the course.. Im gonna have feck all money :( lol. I really cant wait till next sept hope i get in. Wow thats really good getting straight into a top 4 firm. I like the sound of the masters being sponsored lol. I think open day is in nov so I'll be the first one there :) oh also would it be possible to work part time in the first year and are you in full days everyday? I tried the site for timetable but can seem to find everything except this course, arts and all lol.

Well if you were never at college before you wont have to pay fees as far as i know. you will have to pay the student levy thing which is about 800 quid.

The maths department website has timetable for most of the subjects you might find it on there www.maths.nuim.ie. Some of your modules would actually be on the arts timetable if not all.

If your not earning much money you might qualify for the student grant depending on age and circumstances etc. I got the grant last year and it was €6700. Easy enough to live on that for the year.

You can save money lots of ways. Using books from the library instead of buying them and stuff like that. Most of the time you wont even use the book that much and its a waste of 50 odd quid.

Advertisement