Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Law in Switzerland

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Just watching RTE news there and it said that petshops must sell small animals, for example in pairs since they are social animals. Just thought I'd let ye know :]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Saw it too - but it applies to Switzerland :)

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Saw it too - but it applies to Switzerland :)

CC

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Interesting, did they say anything about seperating males from females what way do they go about that when selling in pairs. What if the customer already has one animal and is looking for a companion how do they prove this to the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

they also made it illegal to flush gold fish down the toilet, they must be killed first. that'll be a hard one to prove and prosecute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

whitser wrote: »
    they also made it illegal to flush gold fish down the toilet, they must be killed first. that'll be a hard one to prove and prosecute.

I thought we were the only ones who made stupid laws! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

They probably bring in a law not to flush the Toilet next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

well most normal (i.e. not deliberately cruel) people wouldn't flush a live fish anyway, generally it's only for "disposing" of a dead fish.

as for the small animals, that is great, hopefully similar laws will be here in Ireland one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

kerrysgold wrote: »
    well most normal (i.e. not deliberately cruel) people wouldn't flush a live fish anyway, generally it's only for "disposing" of a dead fish.

as for the small animals, that is great, hopefully similar laws will be here in Ireland one day.
    thats obvious, its the fact that they wasted time and paper putting it into legislation, an obsolutely un police-able law. and i think having to buy 2 hamsters is a bit ott. animal rights gone too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kerrysgold wrote: »

Absolute twoddle! There are many more important animal issues to be dealt with in this country without such nonsense. Un-policable and Un-necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I hope they would not make people buy 2 Syrian hamsters as that will cause pain and death for many hamsters.

Even the sociable ones, while it is ideal that they have a friend it doesn't always work perfectly. Does that mean that if there is an uneven number in a litter and no convenient litter of a similar age in time that the odd one out must live out it's life in the shop because they can't sell it? Pairing up non siblings of some species doesn't always go smoothly and there are always situations where, while it would be the ideal for the animals to live in pairs, the practicalities of the circumstances make it better and safer for the animal to stay on it's own.

I think more general laws pertaining to living conditions and housing and maybe a set of guidelines about ideals are the most realistic. Proper licensing laws and a test for pet shop owners and staff about animal husbandry would have a much more positive effect. If you don't pass the test you don't get your license and if you are inspected and found to be lacking in your care of the animals you lose your licence. Of course you still have the old problem of brown envelopes and knowing the right people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Those mad Swiss. They won't allow you have a horn on your car.

I am certainly not bothered by what some cheese eating skiers from alps have to say.

Advertisement