Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC still very slow

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I'm in Dublin 9 and UPC is still acting quite slowly. I'm aware of the variability in speedtest.net but im getting significantly less than I should be for a so called 20MB connection, well outside any acceptable deviation. Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Connect via ethernet and download something from heanet. That will give you the actual speed of the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

my 20 meg is similar, getting totally different results on the dsl speed test, none faster than about 6 meg dl, 1.5 meg upload.

at the moment im downloading warhammer age of reckoning online game through ethernet straight into a laptop. its a 12gb file and im downloading at 1500kbps!

im confused, is that a good dl speed for 20mb?

cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's a bit slow, you should be getting around 2.2MBps

ill try download something from heanet tomorrow and if its the same speeds ill ring them.

at least im getting close enogh atm. theres also 2 other pcs using wireless now so that might be takin a bit of bandwith?

one last question, if i was to takethe ntl box and move it from my sitting room up to my box room above would that slow it down?

cheers

If they were doing something on line then that would be using some of the bandwidth so that would explain the slower than expected speed. Try it when no one else is on-line.

• Advertisement

sound ill give it a whack later on.

cheers mate

Advertisement