Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Limited or no connectivity'

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Okay so this might be obvious to fix but still haven't got it.I don't think I should post this,as it might be an plainly easy fixbut Im at wit's end here!:(

Basically I have a Eircom Netopia 2247NWG Router,and im having trouble connecting it to my laptop,the same thing is happening to my bro's laptop,also.

It connects after a while and then says 'Limited or no connectivity' .
    I've reinstalled the eircom broadband cd taken away the firewall,different WEP keys,and changed IP/TCP settings,but still no wireless internet?

Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

First of all, never install that Eircom CD waste of time..!! All the things you did dont effect the connectivity to your laptop. Now depending whether your laptop is new or old running b/g or n this all effects the outcome..

The few things that will give you limited aconnection are. Channel number (in older set ups). Check what channel your netopia is on by doing the following..

192.168.1.254 type that into browser

Is there go to wireless...

You will see channel number.. usually 11 I think..

Now go to network connections, right click your wireless connection and go to properties..

In there you need to find something like "Configure" it'll be a button under the name of whatever wireless card you are using..

Now go into the advanced tab

now go down through all the settings looking for Channel ID or somethinf similar.. See newer cards are auto sensing, older ones are not.. make sure both channels are the same..

Also in that same tab area go to power management and untick "allow computer to turn off this device"

Id try all that first.. If no joy, please post your laptop specs age etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Hey,thanks very much for that guide,but still no luck,what I ended up doing instead is making a new multiple SSID,with no privacy :(

Going out on a limb with that I suppose,but It has to be done.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

donmeister wrote: »
    Hey,thanks very much for that guide,but still no luck,what I ended up doing instead is making a new multiple SSID,with no privacy :(

Going out on a limb with that I suppose,but It has to be done.:pac:

I had an issue with wireless connectivity using a netopia wireless router before.
    Would only work when no security was enabled.

Ended up replacing it with a linksys wrt54g.

I'd suggest trying to get the wireless working with WPA2 and after exhausting all possibilities with no luck, buy a new wireless router. Linksys or Netgear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Are you having this trouble while trying to connect wirlessly only.. ie.. is it ok if you use ethernet cable and plug directly in to the router..?
    If so.. What security are you using? what operating system have you.. and what service pack have you?..have you tried turing oiff security?
    Also I presume dhcp is turned on on router. (not a problem if you can conect via cable). if your not sure just reset it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ensure you got the DHCP server running on your router.
    Without it your machines won't get ip addresses and therefore not work*

*unless you've given them static ip's of course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Also forgot to say check the firewall setting on your laptop.. There is a section for wi-fi firewall.. play around with that and double check that aint causing u grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Can you check if you are getting an IP Address

Go to a DOS prompt and type ipconfig

Your wireless adapter should be listed and the IP address should start with 192.168

If not, then it may be that your router is not issuing IP addresses.

Advertisement