Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Dublin Restaurant Thread...

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

..I've been scrawling through menupages trying to get some ideas about where to eat on Friday night, but there's just too many options!

I'm out of the loop on where's good at the mo (moved back to Dublin after 5 years of living outside the Pale :eek: ). We usually end up in Cafebardeli or Yamamori because I can't think of anywhere else..

Can you give me some ideas of where would be good Friday night for a couple, mains up to €25, nice wine, City Centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

City centre - Siam Thai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

i'd really recommend the larder on parliament street.moroccan meatballs or shank of lamb .yummmmmm!
    mains between 12 and 20.great wines

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

The Winding Stair, Ely, Sixty-six, Jacob's Ladder.

If you like Asian food I can't recommend The Chile Club off South Anne Street enough. Saba is also great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Any idea what reservations are like for the above mentioned? Just wondering if I can walk in or should call now?

Trying to stay away from asian food as OH isn't a big fan.

Actually, just had a look at Brasserie Sixty 6 and it looks yummy. I'll give them a call to book a table.

Thanks for your help, any other suggestions for next time though appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I recently had to book a restaurant in the city centre foro the first time in years, and chose Hugos in Merrion Row. Absolutley terrific I have to say, couldnt fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Was rubbish last time I was there. Op Sixty6 is alright, can be good but can be very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

jdivision wrote: »
    Was rubbish last time I was there. Op Sixty6 is alright, can be good but can be very poor

Ditto - that's my experience of it too. Really wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

L'Gueleton beside Hogans is lovely but annoyingly won't take reservations so you may or may not be luckly and get a seat. The Gotham Cafe is good also if you like pizzas and it's nice and buzzy around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

www.koh.ie

On the Nartside... go to the church for some pints after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

meh at koh. Had some nice cocktails there whilst waiting an hour for the table my friend had booked. Food was decent eventually but the overall experience I was not too content with. I do like church though!

l'gueuleton is decent alright and has market bar opposite also! Enjoyed a very meal in Darwins (http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Darwins/Menu.aspx) up on Aungier street a while back too.

I rather enjoy tante zoes also I must say and have been disappointed by FXB's beside it.

• Advertisement

Woden- did you have to book much in advance for Tante Zoe's? It looks nice...

Jdivision- :( Ah, I thought I was onto a winner!

Suppose I'm asking the impossible, a consistently good restaurant! That isn't crazy expensive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hazelnutter

I love Salamanca on Andrew's street.- It's relaxed, great food, great atmosphere, nice wine. It's tapas so we usually order a couple of dishes and share! Very busy on a Friday night though so probably should call in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Fletch123 wrote: »
    Woden- did you have to book much in advance for Tante Zoe's? It looks nice...

Jdivision- :( Ah, I thought I was onto a winner!

Suppose I'm asking the impossible, a consistently good restaurant! That isn't crazy expensive..

Nah mate usually would stroll in on sat night and get away with a table. Wouldn't hurt to book though if you where planning in advance. Dooky Gumbo to start followed by fillet steak and then apple pie = happy days!

A friend of mine recommended odessa although I haven't been myself.

Also has anyone eaten in Rhodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Woden wrote: »
    A friend of mine recommended odessa although I haven't been myself.

Odessa is nice but it's probably better for lunch or the weekend brunch menu rather than for dinner.

PS what the feck is dooky gumbo?

EDIT: Had a look at Tante Zoe's menu so now I know what dooky gumbo is! Sounds ok, I would eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

+1 for Darwin's on Aungier Street. Really really decent food; not even that pricey when you consider the portions (the steaks are flinstone-esque affairs :D).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Woden wrote: »
    Also has anyone eaten in Rhodes?
    Nothing extraordinary overall. OK service. Semi-open smoking area which smokers in our company liked.

Outstanding desserts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've enjoyed many a good meal at Nico's on Dame Street.

We went to Salamanca in the end and really enjoyed it.

We were waiting about 30mins for a table (hadn't booked), we had some wine while waiting and were kept updated on the wait. Food was delicious when we got our table. And they gave us a complimentary after dinner drink becuase of our wait!

Definitely be going back and definitely recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hazelnutter

Yay! I'm delighted you liked it.

I would agree with Spurious regarding Rhodes - nothing special at all - in fact I didn't like anything I had there. Same goes for Koh and Sixty 6. Had a Christmas lunch in Odessa once and was not impressed although they were catering for a big group.

I've heard Darwins is good but have never eaten there. Winding stair is probably my favourite at the moment for a full blown meal although you do have to book a couple of weeks in advance.

For a special occassion/celebration I'd recommend La Peniche - a cruising restaurant which leaves from the Canal on Mespil Road, just off Baggot street - it's great fun although you probably need the sunshine to make the most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Winding Stair- anyone been lately?
    Is it pricey? nice?

Owe the mammy big time at the minute for various odds and ends, so thinking of taking her to see the Wilde play on at the minute and grab some grub. Anywhere but Supermacs'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

The Winding Stair is great. €20-€30 for mains, great wine list.

Advertisement