Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best form of car finance

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

Looking to borrow about €20k to buy a car, and enquired in my BOI branch and got told I'd be looking at about 8.4% fixed over five years or 8.8% variable.

I'm importing a 320 diesel coupe from the UK, probably 2004 or 2005 with low mileage and my plan is (probably) to sell it after two years at Irish prices and use whatever profit I realise to fund something a bit fancier coupled with another loan. So I think I want to get the variable.

What other methods have people used to finance their cars? Or is anyone else getting better rates with other banks/lending houses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Credit union - 6.5%, and on a reducing balance, the best by far.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm importing a 320 diesel coupe from the UK, probably 2004 or 2005 with low mileage and my plan is (probably) to sell it after two years at Irish prices and use whatever profit I realise to fund something a bit fancier coupled with another loan. So I think I want to get the variable.
    Profit?? Have you looked out the window any time recently?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

galwaytt wrote: »
    Credit union - 6.5%, and on a reducing balance, the best by far.

Got in there before me, has to be the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Leaving aside the issue of whether you can make a profit or not, try and steer clear of hire purchase/contract hire/car finance/whatever they call it where you cannot sell the car until the finance is clear.

Credit Union was the cheapest when I was looking in February.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Got in there before me, has to be the best way.

Yeah put in 10k Borrow 20K and still have that 10k when ya finished paying off the loan! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Credit Union for sure. Very easy to deal with in general and very flexible payment options.
    Only thing is, if you dont have an existing account you generally have to have one open for a few months before you can apply for a loan and the first loan may be limited. That said Cu's generally operate within varying guidelines and rules so check out your local one if you havent already.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Anan1 wrote: »
    Profit?? Have you looked out the window any time recently?:)
    With the exchange rate the way it is, I'd be quite comfortable that I could manage to clear a profit on a 2005 320 in two years if I bought it for £12k now. You'd be paying almost €30k for similar models here!

Credit union is interesting, I never considered that at all. Am flexible with when I need to purchase the car so will look into this first thing tomorrow.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

cash

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With the exchange rate the way it is, I'd be quite comfortable that I could manage to clear a profit on a 2005 320 in two years if I bought it for £12k now. You'd be paying almost €30k for similar models here!

Think again mate, if you can buy one for £12k sterling in the UK then why would you pay €30k for one over here? Isn't that what you are doing, going to the UK because it is cheaper? Everyone else has the same idea.

And just because somebody is asking for €30k for one here doesn't mean they are getting it.

Remember cars are not investments. You could find yourself in negative equity very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Credit union is interesting, I never considered that at all. Am flexible with when I need to purchase the car so will look into this first thing tomorrow.

Thanks!
    You have figured in VRT, haven't you? Not trying to p1ss on your parade, but...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

bazz26 wrote: »

Remember cars are not investments. You could find yourself in negative equity very fast.

+1

i didn't think the credit unions were so competitive , I checked them out about 3 years ago & got a better rate from my own bank (AIB)

looks like they have changed in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

You could also try tesco.ie at 6.9% was the cheapest I could find when looking recently.

Advertisement