Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublinese

Options
  • 02-09-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi
    I was recently in Temple Street and nearby there are some City Council flats. I overheard two women talking and one was saying she was travelling somewhere. The other woman replied (ph.) "Enjoyes yourselives". I speak a few different languages and there is something weirdly familiar about the way the word "Enjoy" has been conjugated. Not the first time I've heard this sort of thing.

Anyone got any theories of where this comes form?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dublinese = Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

latchyco wrote: »
    Dublinese = Dublin
    :confused::confused::confused:

Enjoyes yourselives". is as raw an inner city dublin accent is, as dublinese as you can get but in the wider world imagine the vowels might sound similar.

Like for instance , i was living in amsterdam and sharing an apartment with several people one of whom was an italian . I use to say to him and the others ' in a soutsiede dubli accent '' i'll see you tomorrow '' and after a while he would reply in italian accent ( of course ) with '' i'llceeyoutamarrah '' as in one word, and it didnt have crack me up every time he said it :D

Enjoyes yourselives". is as raw an inner city dublin accent is, as dublinese as you can get but in the wider world imagine the vowels might sound similar.

Like for instance , i was living in amsterdam and sharing an apartment with several people one of whom was an italian . I use to say to him and the others ' in a soutsiede dubli accent '' i'll see you tomorrow '' and after a while he would reply in italian accent ( of course ) with '' i'llceeyoutamarrah '' as in one word, and it didnt have crack me up every time he said it :D

Maybe my fonetic writing isn't helping but this was not inflection, pronounciation, speed or vowel sounds like your Italian chap there. This was the conjugation of the verb "enjoy" into "enjoyusss". To me that is a command or a wish for more than one person to enjoy something. The "yewrrrselivves" could be just mispronounciation.

To me this seems like a dormant French grammer rule that is somehow lodged with innercitizens. "Enjoyez-vous or Amusez Vous". Was curious if anyone has an informed position on Hiberno English Dublinese

Was curious if anyone has an informed position on Hiberno English Dublinese
    the only dublineese i know of is the one which i have heard english people refer to to describe dubliners as in ' young ones , dares younfillias ' but no, i am not in an informed position on Hiberno English Dublinese but have heard enough of it spoken around the streets of dublin over the years ....here and there .

• Advertisement

the only dublineese i know of is the one which i have heard english people refer to to describe dubliners as in ' young ones , dares younfillias ' but no, i am not in an informed position on Hiberno English Dublinese but have heard enough of it spoken around the streets of dublin over the years ....here and there .

Sorry that sounded awful (what I wrote). Your guess is as good as mine but I was hoping someone who does linguistics could verify if little bits of French got dumped into the Dublin accent. I happen to know that 3,000 French speaking Huguenots came to live in Dublin in the 17th Century and its possible that they left a little linguistic mark....

Sorry that sounded awful (what I wrote). Your guess is as good as mine but I was hoping someone who does linguistics could verify if little bits of French got dumped into the Dublin accent. I happen to know that 3,000 French speaking Huguenots came to live in Dublin in the 17th Century and its possible that they left a little linguistic mark....
    Imagine that is quite possible indeed .There is a similarity with the liverpool (scouse ) accent which is made up of a variation of Lanchashire and irish .The famine passengers off to the new world had a lot to do with that ,with a lot of them settling in and around Liverpool and lancashire instead of heading off to america . Somebody might well post on the subject with more of an expertise in linguistics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Maybe my fonetic writing isn't helping but this was not inflection, pronounciation, speed or vowel sounds like your Italian chap there. This was the conjugation of the verb "enjoy" into "enjoyusss". To me that is a command or a wish for more than one person to enjoy something. The "yewrrrselivves" could be just mispronounciation.

To me this seems like a dormant French grammer rule that is somehow lodged with innercitizens. "Enjoyez-vous or Amusez Vous". Was curious if anyone has an informed position on Hiberno English Dublinese

I think you are reading a little too much into the phrase tbh

Iwould opine that the "enjoyuss" bit comes from the inherent habit of the Real DUB ,(hereafter RD) to put an "s" after collective descriptions eg "yous" iso you as in "yous people" instead of you people

"yewrrrselivves" would come from the RDs habit of splitting the syllables especially "l" as in Dublin= "Dubbelin" which is really "Dub- l- in" .

Children is another one RD= Chi-l der- en.

The RD doesn't like running the syllables together especially before a vowel.

Umbrella RD= Umber -ella.

Check it out:D

Advertisement